Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW Oct. 29 - Nov. 4, 2017
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW Nov. 5 to Nov. 11, 2017 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Oct 15-21,2017  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 29 2017 :  07:15:17 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A Tyco Mikado I grabbed of eBay, thinking I had scored big time, until
I realized it was missing pilot wheels. Then quickly grabbed a pilot
truck thinking I had a Mountain on my hands, not sure why I
arrived at this hurried conclusion, but then a droll TFer pointed out
my error, and once more I went back to the well and was lucky to
find the actual 100% correct pilot and almost as important, the singular
screw. So my deal of the century became rather expensive.

I finally racked her yesterday, and she quickly bound up and froze.
The side rod mech is about the most intricate I have ever seen. After
some tiny drops of high quality lubricant on her myriad joints, she
loosened up and ran beautifully. Her heavy metal boiler causes
her drivers to smack loudly on the frogs, and the table judders
perceptibly. A delightful vintage metal beast.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11197  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 29 2017 :  9:30:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Went to a TCA train show ( O gauge ), and managed some good HO scores ( as well as some O gauge too ). I bought an entire plat of engines for $40, including the Petticoat Junction engine. I've one C&FW passenger car to go with it. It needs the red cab, and the front boiler hatch, and the wood load for the tender, but otherwise it's in decent shape, and I got it to run after some electrical clean-up. Been wanting one of these engines for awhile, and got lucky at an O gauge show. One reason I like going to TCA small shows, the O gaugers try to dump their HO stuff, and usually at a good price.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - October 29 2017 :  9:38:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Good strategy, AMC. I'll have to remember that next time there is an O show in my area.

Here is my engine of the week, a Mantua RCA switcher.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 512  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 29 2017 :  10:02:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I love those little switchers and they run pretty good.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11197  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 30 2017 :  08:19:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a Fleischmann steeple-cab electric DB R2 #E 6902. Fleischmann number is 1302G of 1963. I just got it last Saturday at the Carlstad Nj train show. It is a old one and is marked Made in Western Germany.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on October 30 2017 08:20:56 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 30 2017 :  10:45:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Good strategy, AMC. I'll have to remember that next time there is an O show in my area.

Here is my engine of the week, a Mantua RCA switcher.

Originally posted by Brian4321 - October 29 2017 :  9:38:14 PM

this also came with the older RCA logo in a circle
What you have here is 1 of I think 6 Mantua locos that came in different logos & colors
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 30 2017 :  3:13:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW offering is a Mantua 4-4-0 Belle of the 80's HO Scale Brass & Diecast 1950's Steam Locomotive:

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 30 2017 :  5:00:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Here's a Lionel Husky in AEC paint.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 30 2017 :  5:18:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Awesome selection so far this week. DaCheez Ive got to ask what's behind the Husky.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 30 2017 :  7:28:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That's the Hornet!

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 30 2017 :  7:43:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
I saw the post in set of the week after I asked the question LOL. That thing is freakin awesome. What did you use for the window? It almost looks like the Dome off of a tri ang csr
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 30 2017 :  7:45:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks! That probably would've been an easier route. It's actually all scratchbuilt from steel wire, modelling putty, and styrene.

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - October 30 2017 :  9:09:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 30 2017 :  9:38:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
That's the Hornet!

Originally posted by DaCheez - October 30 2017 :  7:28:02 PM

Wow, talk about DIFFERENT! I LOVE it! Panoramic engineer's view, what a concept.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - October 31 2017 :  12:42:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
That's the Hornet!

Originally posted by DaCheez - October 30 2017 :  7:28:02 PM

Wow, talk about DIFFERENT! I LOVE it! Panoramic engineer's view, what a concept.

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - October 30 2017 :  9:38:26 PM

Great paint job and lettering too!

Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 31 2017 :  1:11:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW offering is a Mantua 4-4-0 Belle of the 80's HO Scale Brass & Diecast 1950's Steam Locomotive:

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - October 30 2017 :  3:13:58 PM

An interesting and not entirely unpleasant paint scheme on that Belle, Sean.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 31 2017 :  1:33:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:

Agreed Barry. It has grown on me over the past couple of years. I have several other Bells, I think I would like to do something similar with. I like the patina. At least it is not as obnoxious as this Mantua Goat I have.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 31 2017 :  3:15:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:

Mike

Originally posted by Mike - October 30 2017 :  9:09:21 PM

Love the New Haven McGinnis paint Mike!

Sean

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - November 03 2017 :  4:29:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
My loco this week is a Tyco Shark that I got a few weeks ago on eBay. I got the shell cleaned up
and the trucks cleaned and lubed.

Runs real nice now.

https://youtu.be/KGTOvt7Ybis

She'll be getting the PRR Tuscan red livery, by the way.

Edited by - oldtimer52 on November 03 2017 4:37:51 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 03 2017 :  6:46:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
what did the Shark look like b4 you stripped it?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 03 2017 :  7:02:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow! Nice to see a nice old Shark running again! Well done, oldtimer52.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 03 2017 :  9:53:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

They wouldn't be the same modeler? That's pretty wild. Circus train! A consist of snake oil tankers.

Agreed Barry. It has grown on me over the past couple of years. I have several other Bells, I think I would like to do something similar with. I like the patina. At least it is not as obnoxious as this Mantua Goat I have.

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - October 31 2017 :  1:33:54 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Localoid
Switcher

Posted - November 03 2017 :  10:45:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Localoid to Buddylist
@oldtimer52,

Watched your video of your shark... Looks like you have her humming again!

Is that some of the so called "white rust" on the shark's body?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 18  ~  Member Since: October 10 2017  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - November 03 2017 :  11:44:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Micro, this is what she looked like before I cleaned her up.

Before:

After:

The white "rust" is actually oxidization of the metal, which is essentially what rust is.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Localoid
Switcher

Posted - November 04 2017 :  12:53:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Localoid to Buddylist
@@oldtimer52,

I think it was a mix of white vinegar and lemon juice, cut with a little bit of distilled water, that I'd soak the die-cast pieces from old Flyer trains in overnight that had come down with the dreaded "white rust" affliction. I may have thrown in some baking soda as well. Ah, fun times with chemicals...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 18  ~  Member Since: October 10 2017  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 04 2017 :  07:27:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Just a thought - perhaps brillo could remove that "white rust"?? It did work to remove the inperfections on the metal Shark I had, except, from me rubbing too hard, some of the rivets on the roof were made "smooth." But, it did work in making the metal look a ton better.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Localoid
Switcher

Posted - November 04 2017 :  12:21:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Localoid to Buddylist
Soaking in a mild acid solution (vinegar, lemon, etc.) will usually allow for clean it up without needing to resort to heavy scrubbing with a metal bristled brush -- a soft nylon brush usually does the job. At least on mild cases of "white rust" -- don't know about the really heavy afflictions. A coin collector friend suggested muriatic acid, but I never tried it. I could never get paint to stick very long on the die cast stuff that still had a lot of "white" left on the metal...

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 04 2017 :  12:48:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Paint definitely doesn't stick to zinc oxide. It's a pain painting galvanized steel, too.

Probably most of us already know this, but just in case, I'll point it out anyway: Generally after you etch metal with an acid, you're supposed to rinse it off pretty thoroughly so the acid doesn't keep right on etching.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2354  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - November 04 2017 :  4:43:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
I will be cleaning it with vinegar and distilled water. Then it'll get a rub down with extra fine
steel wool and a final clean with Tarn-X and rinse with distilled water. That should get it ready
for the paint job. Anyone know where I can get a photo of a shark with the details on it? I'd
like to do a little detaining with horns and such.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 04 2017 :  6:12:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Oldtimer52-

Actually, the RF-16's which served on the PRR never wore Tuscan Red livery, they instead bore the Brunswick Green scheme...it was rather the passenger Baldwin Shark DR-6-4-2000 (or BP-20) which were decorated in such a scheme. Tyco's old metal Tuscan Red Shark, while innacurate in regards to the specific Shark modeled, I'm sure looked great!

Here's a pic of the Tuscan Red DR-6-4-2000 passenger Shark, a much longer Shark than the RF-16-

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - November 04 2017 :  8:20:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Speaking of Sharks... ;)

Paid $100 for this and about 13 other pieces. This is the gem though.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 04 2017 :  10:13:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
WOAH! Nice Canadian Shark, DanMacK! Congrats.

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - November 04 2017 :  10:36:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Thanks RP. That at least gives me a starting point. Nice Canadian there...

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 09 2017 :  8:48:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
A Tyco Mikado I grabbed of eBay, thinking I had scored big time, until
I realized it was missing pilot wheels. Then quickly grabbed a pilot
truck thinking I had a Mountain on my hands, not sure why I
arrived at this hurried conclusion, but then a droll TFer pointed out
my error, and once more I went back to the well and was lucky to
find the actual 100% correct pilot and almost as important, the singular
screw. So my deal of the century became rather expensive.

I finally racked her yesterday, and she quickly bound up and froze.
The side rod mech is about the most intricate I have ever seen. After
some tiny drops of high quality lubricant on her myriad joints, she
loosened up and ran beautifully. Her heavy metal boiler causes
her drivers to smack loudly on the frogs, and the table judders
perceptibly. A delightful vintage metal beast.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 29 2017 :  07:15:17 AM

Here she is, under steam:
https://youtu.be/zpu2-YVWecY
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11197  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 09 2017 :  9:30:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice video, Chops! It looks like that steamer is a heavy hauler (I spotted the Hershey's car)

Previous Topic: LOTW Nov. 5 to Nov. 11, 2017 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Oct 15-21,2017  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000