Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 23 ]  [ Total: 23 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 US-1 sets in Europe
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Coal Ramp Topic Next Topic: Replacement Gravel  for US-1  

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - October 26 2017 :  05:31:02 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
I got into US-1 around ten years ago and most of what I have was bought from the US via e-bay. The vendors were most helpful and I soon got together a reasonable collection , although I have yet to really get into the variety of colors that trucks came in, but I figure that can follow.

From time to time US-1 comes up on e-bay in the UK and I have bought a few bits that seem to have been originally sold in Europe/UK including a complete set. I don't think that it sold that well in the UK, although it may have done better in mainland Europe where the right hand running is more familiar.

A couple of months ago a guy in Grantham listed two virtually complete US-1 sets on e-bay as 'collect only'. I imagine that it is the same over there, but 'collect only' truly is the kiss of death and unless there happens to be someone who wants it within easy range, it is not going to sell.

The sets can be sent by post, but do require to be carefully packaged to protect the polystyrene tray, or they will get trashed and the contents broken.

This weekend it is the school 'half term' holiday, we took our daughter to the historic City of York and purely by chance on the way back we just happened to go via Grantham. What were the chanes of that happening?

I paid £90 GBP for the two, which are 98% complete. I reasoned that half of the value was in the truck chassis which were all there, although one truck had mangled pick ups and had been taken out for a replacement set to be fitted when I took the images.

I am well pleased. One set has a European plug on the transformer, the other a UK type. I intend to keep these sets intact to display alongside my layout when I do exhibitions.

I will now try to recall how I post images...... I think I have to log in under a differnet name, as the system doesn't like my @!

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on October 26 2017 05:45:17 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator 

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - October 26 2017 :  05:38:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Am under my Alias (derived from my fondness for early HO roadway systems) - Here are those sets:

Not bad for £90 GBP or $120USD?

James

Edited by - Highwayman97 on October 26 2017 06:04:00 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 26 2017 :  07:11:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Quite a bargain. A remarkable set.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - October 26 2017 :  07:51:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
$60 each is a steal for intact sets. You got yourself a great deal. Looking forward to seeing these in action.

When I was a kid, my race car sets did not have switches. Not sure if my dad just didn't buy these for me and my brothers, or something else. I just went through a couple of the more recent Tyco catalogs and saw that the US-1 set is the only one to feature the switch. Wonder why it was limited to US-1?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - October 26 2017 :  07:59:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Thanks Guys,

Playcraft/Aurora and Faller had actual switches that you could set, as did Minic. The TYCO US-1 switches only work if you pass them and then back through them, they can't be set.

The Ideal Kightrider and Professionals sets also had switches of a sort, but again they can't be set, so I have no idea how they worked!

A lot of systems only had cars that could go forward. Some made provision for reversing like Minic, but others like the original Aurora and Playcraft sets and even the Faller, Rasant and Ideal 'half wave cars simply can't!

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on October 26 2017 11:25:42 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 26 2017 :  1:15:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
the Aurora truck sets only worked in one direction not two-way like the US-1 truck sets
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - October 26 2017 :  4:14:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Good point that.

I recall seeing Tyco and Aurora artic type trucks with slot guides on the semi-trailer, traction magnets etc, which were good as far as they went, which they did very quickly....

BUT!

US-1 was the only slot car system designed and suplied for two way running with guide pins and pick ups at each end. Although Minic and some Faller cars were capable of being run in reverse, none had the double pick up like US-1

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on October 27 2017 06:56:00 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Coal Ramp Topic Next Topic: Replacement Gravel  for US-1  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000