Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Possibly authentic/custom CP C630?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco C&O F9’s Topic Next Topic: Amtrak GG1 Couplers  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 18 2017 :  3:44:01 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I happened to check Ebay the other day and found this specimen: A Canadian Pacific 4102 Alco C630 locomotive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Canadian-Pacific-4102-Diesel-Locomotive-Snub-Nose-CP-C630-Powered-Run-Tyco-BA-/192335066502?hash=item2cc8103586:g:bucAAOSwjoVZ46Jy

I checked the HO-Scale Tyco Brown Box resource and it doesn't list this variation as a type of a Tyco-produced C630, so I am placing it here to inquire if it this is authentic or custom. If it is indeed custom, then someone did a GREAT job!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 18 2017 :  6:42:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
It is definitely a custom job, but a very good one. Even though Canadian Pacific never actually rostered High Hood centuries.

Interesting tidbit, 4102 was actually an FP7

I'm debating a kitbash of an m630.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 18 2017 :  8:44:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
It is definitely a custom job, but a very good one. Even though Canadian Pacific never actually rostered High Hood centuries.

Interesting tidbit, 4102 was actually an FP7

I'm debating a kitbash of an m630.

Originally posted by DanMacK - October 18 2017 :  6:42:47 PM

ok WHO had the Century?
1 I bet wasn't BN or UP
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 18 2017 :  9:12:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
DanMacK, that's what I thought, a pretty good custom job indeed!

The following railroads actually owned the Alco C630 locomotive: Atlantic Coast Line, Chesapeake & Ohio, Louisville & Nashville, Norfolk & Western, Pennsylvania, Reading, Southern Pacific, and Union Pacific. I believe the Norfolk & Western RR was the only RR to own the C630's in the high-hood variation...or at least had the most quantity of high-nose C630's....which is exactly what Tyco modeled.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 25 2018 :  09:02:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
An amazing custom. I think the road number might be a small clue. That would be awesome if it was a prototype?
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Rockville
Switcher

RevellAvatar

Posted - January 22 2023 :  05:58:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Rockville to Buddylist
For reference here is what the auction pics looked like.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 15  ~  Member Since: March 21 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 22 2023 :  10:54:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Impressive. I cannot fathom how those yellow stripes
went down so perfectly. I try stuff like that, and no
matter how carefully I try to create those margins,
it always ends up a sloppy mess. One of the reasons
I did a lot of PC stuff, hard to go wrong with solid black.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 22 2023 :  1:08:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Regarding C630 production,

N&W's 10 units were the only high hood variants. They also had 30 high hood C628s which were later sold to C&NW.

The C630 was also built in Canada with a different truck design. These were C630M, with the M denoting Alco's Canadian affiliate, Montreal Locomotive Works. As near as I can tell, these were built for CP, CN and PGE/British Columbia. All were low hood versions. In addition, after Alco ceased production, MLW continued to build the design, now model M630. They also had an uprated M636. CP CN and BCOL are once again buyers of these units, along with Cartier Mining, an iron ore road in backwoods Quebec with no rail connection to the outside world.

As can be seen by the photo, a reasonably accurate C630M could be kitbashed by grafting a C430 cab onto a C630 body, with EMD SD24 trucks underneath. Best of all, you could do it using all Tyco components, greatly simplifying the process.

Edited by - jward on January 22 2023 1:37:46 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - January 22 2023 :  2:12:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
quote:
Impressive. I cannot fathom how those yellow stripes
went down so perfectly. I try stuff like that, and no
matter how carefully I try to create those margins,
it always ends up a sloppy mess. One of the reasons
I did a lot of PC stuff, hard to go wrong with solid black.

Originally posted by Chops124 - January 22 2023 :  10:54:52 AM

Most likely the guy that did that used decals. Microscale makes them and I have used them on a number of engines I have painted and posted pics of, here.....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco C&O F9’s Topic Next Topic: Amtrak GG1 Couplers  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000