Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Another project finished - custom Cary S-4
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Miniature Drill Press Topic Next Topic: New GE Steeple Cab project!  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - August 27 2017 :  2:55:41 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
A couple years back, I got a Cary lead S-2/S-4 body, and made a nice custom chassis for it using a coreless motor with a gear head, a chain drive, and bevel gear system to power all the axles.  It runs very nicely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNS56Qe-qpw

That sat around for a while, and now I've finally gotten around to detailing and painting it!

The only details I added that weren't included were the grab irons.  I also wired in directional lights.  As for the paint, I went with PRR because it's easy!

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 27 2017 :  3:11:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
An amazing restoration of a vintage piece. Did I read that right, a lead shell?? Nifty little layout,
on the video. I have come to believe it takes a great deal of determination and focus to stay small
and stick to a theme (I seem to lack either). I'd like to see her going about the layout in her new
paint, over that crossover.
Another S2 of a more recent vintage (Atlas):
https://youtu.be/eAoFQ177_tI

Edited by - Chops124 on August 27 2017 3:40:26 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 27 2017 :  4:23:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome restoration work!! The painting and decaling craftsmanship looks exactly like it was manufactured that way!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 27 2017 :  5:16:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Very nice Robert. Looks like some fine work on the drive train as well.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 27 2017 :  6:50:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
That engine looks great. I like that Brunswick Green, anyhow and the yellow handrails set it off. What's more impressive, though, is the mechanism. It really does run smoothly and I imagine it took quite a bit of patience and skill to get all those pieces to play nice with each other.

Those bevel gears are interesting. There's a lot of geometry involved in getting bevel gears to mesh when the shaft passes over the axle rather than stopping at it. The teeth kind of spiral down the bevel in a kind of helical pattern. Presumably, the exact clearance between the shaft and axle matter to the geometry of the gears. Do the black sleeves on the axle just inboard of the gears also go around the shaft to maintain that spacing?

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2355  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - August 27 2017 :  8:05:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Chops124, thanks! The shell was actually new in the box even though it's likely about 40 years old now. The main casting is lead, the pilots, exhaust stack, and the back of the cab are white metal, and the roof and handrails are brass. You'd think lead would be easy to drill for grab irons, but it's so soft that it actually shapes itself around the drill bit and grabs it if you go too fast!

RP model railroads, it's amazing what quality paint and decals can do for a model! I used Scalecoat II for the main color, and the Microscale decals are so thin that once you put on the clear coat, they really do look like part of the paint.

Barry, thanks, but who's Robert?

scsshaggy, it did take a lot of patience to get the chassis just right! I found the chain works better if it's slightly loose instead of tight like a belt, and every part of the bevel gear mechanism had to be made to an exact length to work right. The plastic cross-boxes were included with the gears, and they help to maintain an exact mesh. The gears will go out of mesh and slip with the slightest movement, so I soldered the outer truck frames together with everything already in place to make sure they were really solid. If I make a chassis like this again, I think I'll just use Hobbytown helical gears now that they're back in business. Getting those lined up is a lot easier than working with bevel gears.

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 28 2017 :  10:33:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Robert is RP . . . mindslip on my behalf while reading the previous post.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - August 28 2017 :  11:25:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Well done Darth!
Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 28 2017 :  8:08:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
A couple years back, I got a Cary lead S-2/S-4 body, and made a nice custom chassis for it using a coreless motor with a gear head, a chain drive, and bevel gear system to power all the axles.  It runs very nicely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNS56Qe-qpw

That sat around for a while, and now I've finally gotten around to detailing and painting it!

The only details I added that weren't included were the grab irons.  I also wired in directional lights.  As for the paint, I went with PRR because it's easy!

Originally posted by Darth Santa Fe - August 27 2017 :  2:55:41 PM

Wow, great work, very well done!!!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 29 2017 :  07:01:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
very nice model and paint job,just seen it running,sweet,ken
catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around

Edited by - catfordken on August 29 2017 10:06:51 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Miniature Drill Press Topic Next Topic: New GE Steeple Cab project!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000