Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 32 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Mantua History Question . . .
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Meet the Tyco skid flat''s Grandfather Topic Next Topic: Surprise General 4-4-0  

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 10 2017 :  8:48:55 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I've been working on a Mantua 0-4-0 "Shifter" and looking on www.hoseeker.net for information. While looking at the different Mantua catalogs that have been uploaded to hoseeker, I notice there is a sure gap between 1962 and 1983. Do you think (or know) that Mantua didn't produce between those years . . . or are those just hard to find catalogs?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 10 2017 :  10:46:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Mantua was owned by the Tyler family, from which we get the name Tyco. There seems to have been some flopping back and forth between the Mantua and Tyco names.

The first HO trains I messed with were branded Tyco, but the steam locomotives said Mantua on the bottom. This was in the early 1970's. I can later remember Tyco being owned by Consolidated Foods, so I don't know whether the Tylers or Consolidated owned it back in the early '70's, but the designs were Mantua.

By the mid to late 1970's, the designs were somewhat cheapened. I've seen examples of the Shifter, the Prairie and the Pacific that had axle grooves cast right into the die cast frames, without the brass bearing inserts.

Later, the Mantua name returned, as did the brass bearings.

I know this is all king of vague, but it's just personal memories without any good documented information.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 11 2017 :  06:28:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi barry you should find all the missing catalogues on tony cooks site,but at the moment he is in process of moving to a new site,i have all of them on disc,and computer ken

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around

Edited by - catfordken on July 11 2017 06:31:29 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 11 2017 :  11:56:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Thanks for the tips. I googled Tony Cook and came to a site where it said you could download a "free .pdf" of model railroad data. Do you think this is safe?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 11 2017 :  1:06:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
PDF is a pretty safe format. It's just a document. What you don't want are formats that kick off a program, for example: EXE or BAT (this is not an exhaustive list). If you see a suffix you don't recognize, you can usually find out what it is with Google or some search engine.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

waw47
Hudson

Posted - July 11 2017 :  2:45:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
Mantua/Tyco History

http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycotrains/id64.html

http://hotraincollector.com/tyco-trains-history/

http://www.tcawestern.org/tyco.htm

Edited by - waw47 on July 11 2017 2:49:35 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 11 2017 :  2:45:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Thanks Don, and Ken. After looking around again, it seems my best bet may be to wait until Tony Cook's site is up again.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 11 2017 :  5:40:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Thanks Bill. That last link to TCA Western gave a pretty good story.
  Previous Topic: Meet the Tyco skid flat''s Grandfather Topic Next Topic: Surprise General 4-4-0  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000