Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Introduce yourself.
 And here's another one from Missouri!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Back in Town Topic Next Topic: Hello From an Old N Scaler  

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 24 2017 :  12:03:39 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Hey Y'all; Even with as reluctant as I am to do something requiring yet another login setup, wanting information was a powerful force so here I am
My health isn't what it was three decades ago so I'm really slow but am thankful to still be able to do any model railroading at all. After a club got going in 2012 in our little burg of population 8,300 or so I eventually gave up having a home layout so as to have energy to put in to a 16 foot set of modules on the club's HO layout. Is just a hair over 1/4 mile long in HO scale.
An 80 year old member has partnered with me and he provided a lot of the track and turnouts.
I'm doing some work on his trains via the barter system and part of that is a set of ABBA Mantua Rock Island F9s with powered A units with flywheel.

I'm tinkering with them a bit. Adding LED headlight, adding plug connections in truck wiring so trucks can be removed to grind and drill on frame for a couple things I want to do.
Front end couplers will be changed to frame mounted. Truck mounted coupling between units will be maintained though shortened; maybe eventually using drawbars for closer coupling between each A and B.

As another part of those things I want to add pickups to the non-powered B unit trucks, which are the power trucks sans gear and contact wipers.
What I want is 4 trucks worth of contact wipers. The goal is to have all 4 units sharing pickup.
--> is there a place to acquire those wipers?
--> or a place to acquire the sheet metal they are made of? Phosphor bronze?

Here are the first two on one of my so very not finished modules on club layout.

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - May 24 2017 :  06:40:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Welcome aboard.

There is a place to get phosphor bronze sheet and wire. I get them at Clover House:
http://cloverhouse.com/Store/index.php
Happy modeling.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 24 2017 :  08:28:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
quote:
There is a place to get phosphor bronze sheet and wire. I get them at Clover House:
http://cloverhouse.com/Store/index.php
Originally posted by scsshaggy - May 24 2017 :  06:40:05 AM

Ah, thanks! Have it bookmarked now.
A note of the A unit, I have this fetish for really bright headlights and it looked like a 5mm warm white LED pirated from Christmas lights would fit right in the headlight housing.

But ...
Whoever assembled that thing at the factory did not do much to help people like me - that headlight lens was glued in to stay! Finally resorted to drilling and carving it out.
Which wasn't much of a loss since it had round front and actual light front was flat.
Speaking of round and flat, it turns out there are now 2 types of LED used in those Christmas lights; some have the traditional round end but more and more now have an inverted cone end which looks designed to throw more light out the sides than the end.
One of the traditional round end is going to be used here with a disk of clear sheet styrene to represent flat glass on actual locos.

Also going to have to saw/grind off headlight bulb mount cast in to frame so LED will have room.
Eventually might even drill out number boards and light them too.

Gotta say though the 5mm LED is not at all like the the 2-bulb Gyralite used in the real deal, it will get attention at club open houses!
And make for some fun with 'night' operations. And photographs.

By way of illustration here's an IHC SD24 where it just happened a 3mm LED slipped right in to each of the slightly oversized headlight openings. Is on club layout a few years ago at previous location.
Now that's my kind of headlight, get your sunglasses out!
[URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/FSW4picts/media/HO%20Trains/HO_WmW_3mm_LED.jpg.html]

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
Edited by - southwestforests on May 24 2017 08:33:20 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 24 2017 :  11:36:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well I do like anything Rock Island
Including The Rock & Route Rock b4 it went bankrupt

welcome to the club
I likes ALL trains too
I even own some full sized crossbucks too hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 24 2017 :  12:45:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Welcome to the forum SWF...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 25 2017 :  08:50:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
quote:
Welcome to the forum SWF...
Originally posted by walt - May 24 2017 :  12:45:40 PM

Hey there! Something I had zero clue about was that abbreviation for my screen name, SWF, is used on dating sites for single white female - I'm not!
'tis a wonder the things one learns on the web.
As it happens my initials are FSW and I spent the first several years of my life in the southwest: putting those together makes for an easily remembered screen name.

Way back when my first 2 childhood train sets were Tyco, one with the Chessie System 6-axle Alco, C630 or C636 I think.
I remember Mom & Dad eventually telling about conversing with the gal in the store about odd shape of the C. One initial thought was the Chesapeake Bay but Dad was in Navy and recognized nope, not that shape. Think it was finally two decades later I told then about the history of Chessie the advertising kitten. Parents weren't fans of cats at the time train set was bought and I wasn't about to tell them the C was inverse silhouette of a cat!

Also by that time the Alco's motor had given out so I had cut up the body to use its vents and grilles and hood doors in freelance train models and on Sci-fi models.
Wouldn't mind having a pair if them now to wire for shared pickup and run permanently m.u.'d but there is only one of me and only so many things I can do in the available time with the available funds.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - May 25 2017 :  10:35:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
Personally, I've never seen SWF used like that. Typically, I see it used in reference to .swf files, a type of Flash animation file.
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 25 2017 :  12:06:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
And now I have learned a new thing!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 25 2017 :  2:28:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah C&O had TWO cats actually
Chessie & Peke
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 26 2017 :  02:51:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Impressive module, and that you say, is not finished. I am glad you
took the time to deal with the logistics of registration and look forward
to seeing more of your work.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 26 2017 :  04:03:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Thanks!
Here's the my whole 16 foot set of 4x4ft modules.
And a better view of the far end.
The 80 year old fellow who is giving the F9s has provided a lot of the track and some money while I'm the muscle and the mastermind.
Of course most everything is in some stage of incompleteness.

Edited by - southwestforests on May 26 2017 04:09:49 AM

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 26 2017 :  04:19:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
One goal is to create neat little scenes for interesting views.

In the yards, passenger platforms begin.

Oh, and the freight house will eventually have stairs to the office,

Previous Topic: Back in Town Topic Next Topic: Hello From an Old N Scaler  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000