Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Introduce yourself.
 Hello from Missouri.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Hello From an Old N Scaler Topic Next Topic: Hello  

Ed.James
Switcher

Posted - April 09 2017 :  9:34:32 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Ed.James to Buddylist
I'm Ed. I'm a retired construction worker and know very little about model railroading. Got into it because of my 5 year old grandson who is fascinated with trains. Was searching Craigslist recently for wood working tools and stumbled across a local guy who was selling several HO "starter sets" . I bought one and have it set up on our pool table at present. Have Bought a few things on Ebay including a lot of three Tyco locomotives-- all three identical. Looking for info on those locomotives and other Tyco stuff I have led me here.
Ed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14  ~  Member Since: April 08 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 21 2017 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 09 2017 :  9:52:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Welcome to the forum, Ed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - April 09 2017 :  10:18:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Hi, Ed. Welcome to the tumultuous world of model railroading. You will find invaluable help and assistance here on all things Tyco ( and many things NOT. LOL ). Don't be shy to ask questions. Glad to hear your grandson has gotten interested in "big iron". Hopefully you'll enjoy your immersion in this new world of fun. Some tyco engines can be frustrating, usually they just need some oil and maintenance to operate well. Sometimes they need hard-to-find parts to fix them. Either way, post some more descriptions of what you bought.

Jerry in Virginia
model train repair tech

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 10 2017 :  12:21:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I rather agree with AMC Gremlin, Ed. Tyco locomotives, while colorful,
end about there. You know how some boxes have "not recommended
for children under 12" on the side? Tyco locomotives should have
"not recommended for children under 40." Tyco locomotives generally
were designed to go around the Christmas tree a few times.

Having written that, I can almost hear the howls of protest, but
most 5 year olds are not up to installing rare earth magnets .
Five is a bit young, but that is when I got hooked on the model
railroading bug. Maybe a sturdy Athearn Blue Box locomotive,
or two. They are reasonably cheap and can take a beating.

Depending how far you want to get into this, I would suggest
using "Fast Track" or Bachmann EZ track, which includes a
plastic road bed. These little model trains love gravity and
reliably fall off the rails with little hesitation. The plastic road bed
of these tracks helps to keep things running, and keeping five
year olds interested.

Let us know how his interest develops. Most young 'uns want
video games, nowadays.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 10 2017 12:31:40 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - April 10 2017 :  12:49:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Welcome to the Forum!

I agree with Chops on the fact that Tyco locos are alot ot work. Bear in mind, the newest of these locos is almost 30 years old.

That said, Model Railroading is an awesome hobby. I'd also agree with Chops on the Athearn Blue Boxes. Easier to maintain than a Tyco and everything just clips and presses together.

Welcome. You'll definitely find alot of knowledge here!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 10 2017 :  01:48:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Starting with Dan. I am a mere fumbler. The Tyco cars are
fairly reliable, however. There appears to be an almost
limitless variety thereof. Oh, Dan, you've probably seen this, but...
https://youtu.be/fanHjt29QaA

Edited by - Chops124 on April 10 2017 01:52:03 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 10 2017 :  08:09:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Welcome to the Club Ed. Along with having and running trains you'll see here, taking pictures of them and lots of sharing here. Lots of info on many different kinds of trains here. So get out your camera and send us some photos of your stuff. Questions can be better answered if you show a photo of what your train or concern is. I got my third grandson and he is fascinated with my trains and does a good job rearranging them. You will get very good at fixing them.
* To find trains you know a few ways already. Also there seen to be Train Shows in all states. Their is a magazine "Trains". They have a on line site and in it is a list of train shows all over the country. They list Train shows, Train swap meets and events of other names all about trains. Most also have local train clubs setting up their traviling layouts, and operating them. They can at times be very big. Nice to see. You and your Boy, even your Wife may enjoy going to one of these train events.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on April 10 2017 08:24:33 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ed.James
Switcher

Posted - April 10 2017 :  7:56:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ed.James to Buddylist
Thanks gents ! This model railroading stuff seems to be quite addictive ! Since I bought that set I have spent a good many hours on this computer trying to learn a little about it-- and buying more stuff ! Picked up a Model Power Alco locomotive--now have three running locomotives-- some freight cars and a couple of Amtrak passenger cars and ........ My watch list on Ebay has about 50 items pertaining to HO. Also bought some stuff on Etsy.
Ed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14  ~  Member Since: April 08 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - April 10 2017 :  9:50:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Welcome aboard! You've stumbled across a treasure trove of a website in regards to vintage trains. Happy railroading!

Dave from Iowa
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ed.James
Switcher

Posted - April 10 2017 :  10:26:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ed.James to Buddylist
Thanks Dave !
Ed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14  ~  Member Since: April 08 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Hello From an Old N Scaler Topic Next Topic: Hello  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000