Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 this one runs
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Help for finicky pickup Topic Next Topic: NEEDS SOME HELP WITH OLD GEEP  

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 07 2017 :  10:33:24 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Heres another old geep which is a keeper,I painted this about 7 or eight years ago and she has set in a box ever since I just serviced her ,new traction tires and she just jumps down the tracks a very strong runner which is a good thing because I was fooling around this week with my one good loco an atlas uboat and ran it off the track thus busting a coupler and now its running erratic.Guess thats not what they meant when they were talking about breaking in your trains lolthis alco was in a box of other locos and I got here for 5 bucks cleaned and serviced it and she flat out haulsHres all three that i scored at at a train show I went to last sunday first show ive been to in five years.the boxed one doesnt run it just lights up so thats a project for this weekend and i gotta athearn geep it runs but sputters badly and sparked some so its gotta come apart but I got all three for what some jokers on ebay sell one locomotive for
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 78  ~  Member Since: January 30 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 27 2021 Alert Moderator 

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 07 2017 :  10:37:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
THIS IS THE ONE I REPAINTED,it should have been the first picture in the above topic,i have more trouble posting pics lol but shes a runner
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 78  ~  Member Since: January 30 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 27 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 08 2017 :  4:25:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Sounds like you got your work cut out for you. My Athearn locomotives
often improve big time with a simple wheel cleaning: just run it stationary
with the wheels on a clean rag with a drop or two of your track cleaning stuff.
Kadee wheel cleaner works good, also.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 08 2017 4:26:11 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 09 2017 :  1:32:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Lot has been said about the care and feeding of the Tyco PT motor. Some
members discuss replacing magnets, among other things. I've followed a
DIY video on the subject of overhauling the PT motor- with limited success.
It worked, for a little while, and then caught fire again. I believe it is referred
to as the "Gray Smoke Phenomenon," or something. Anyways, speaking for
myself, only, I tend to avoid using Tyco PT motors for any head end stuff,
much rather use the better pulling, more reliable Athearn Blue Box stuff,
when I can get it on the cheap. Another Forum member put me wise to the older,
and much more reliable MU2 motor. They can be found on ebay, and if you shop
around a little, you can get them pretty cheap. These pop right in to the Tyco shells
and are much more durable and stronger. After blowing another PT motor,
put an MU2 motor into this Conrail F. This is the result:
https://youtu.be/KeFseYFVA9U
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 09 2017 :  1:48:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Yea the athearn motors do seem to take a beating and keep on going and you can always get parts for them
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 78  ~  Member Since: January 30 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 27 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 10 2017 :  01:45:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
https://youtu.be/Zf6PmLuHqtU?list=PL6F92F281FBF32523
I followed this DIY vid. Pretty easy to follow, but the motor
still flamed out after a few yards of running!!

Edited by - Chops124 on April 10 2017 01:46:57 AM
  Previous Topic: Help for finicky pickup Topic Next Topic: NEEDS SOME HELP WITH OLD GEEP  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000