Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Forum Related
 Forum Help
 Exodus time?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: lvrr325 Topic Next Topic: Why does this forum go down sometimes?  

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - December 14 2016 :  10:48:29 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I have heard it is taboo to talk about Tyco Depot here. At this point, though, I don't care. This place is going down more and more frequently, with nothing to say if what keeps breaking the database is on our end, the host end, or both.

It may be time to salvage and archive all the info and images we can from here, and move elsewhere. This site is becoming unusable. The money that's being spent at this point feels like it's a drinking cup trying to bail out a ship with an eight foot hole in it

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - December 14 2016 :  11:09:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
There is an archive of the site. It's on the Wayback machine but it hasn't been updated for 2 months. Also whats "Tyco Depot?" The site is fine in my opinion. If the database issue could be fixed then we would be fine. Also there should be a way to donate to the site. I'd happily donate. I care about the preservation of Tyco trains quite a lot. There is a ton of great information and pictures on this site. If we were to lose all of that I would be very sad.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 14 2016 :  3:39:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah
Least I can load up pix here lots
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - December 14 2016 :  4:00:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Tyco Depot is basically this site's more stable younger sister, founded by a disillusioned member during a major outage a couple years back. Several members here also have accounts there.

I don't want to lose the pictures and info either - that's why I brought up salvaging and archiving them.

Perhaps bailing a ship out was the wrong comparison to make about the money. The money keeps the site hosted, but that doesn't fix things if a badly-written update causes a compatibility issue or something like that.

"If the database issue could be fixed then we would be fine", you say? Well, that's a really big "if". It's not looking like it will be fixed, and in fact has been getting worse and worse throughout the year.

Edited by - ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 14 2016 4:00:35 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - December 14 2016 :  5:33:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
While I do like this forum a bit better (I find the boards themselves are organized a bit better, and I much prefer this sight's color scheme), but the outages are *really* annoying. They always seem to happen when I need the forum the most, or when I've already finished any other model train thing I can do at the time. Time will tell I guess, maybe they're doing what my signature describes, just switch "track maintenance" for "server maintenance" and "the railroad" for "the internet"
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily

Edited by - Pokemonprime on December 14 2016 5:39:50 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - December 14 2016 :  6:56:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
I'll continue posting on here for now. I have no problem posting on a new site however. I'll check it out later.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 20 2016 :  11:29:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
We're not NORAD, nor a hospital nor a bank. If the site's down every now and again, we'll live.

This site is easier to use than the depot and the postings here are more to my interest than there. I'll accept a little down time for that.

Also, the advertising on the depot somehow marked me without my ever clicking through an ad, and I really didn't like their sponsors following me wherever I went on the web.

Just as a slight correction, the depot was not so much formed in response to down time as to an interpersonal drama that should never have loomed so large in the minds of so many. Also, some felt threatened by some spam that popped up occasionally and wasn't immediately removed. The spam problem was solved by the addition of more moderators with the authority to delete. The personality clash has long since run its course.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - December 21 2016 :  12:50:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
My chief worry was that increasingly frequent downtime was a sign of impending doom, that one day soon TCF might end up going down except for once in a blue moon - or even going down for good.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 21 2016 :  08:46:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Ride on a little longer. Sometimes what looks like a pattern is only a short glitch. This has happened before and didn't grow into anything.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 21 2016 :  09:14:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well comparing the 2 sites is useless. Their is none. The site you speak of doesn't present your information as good as here. As a member I have never seen a add. On all the yahoo forums Adds are a ongoing problem to viewing your and others info postings.
Posted photo size is large compared to other Forums. The only thing I miss here is the chat room, and for what ever reason Edit was removed.. Responding with the PM's is time consuming.
The truth is " To each his own". We are free to go wherever we want. May you have a Merry Christmas.
Also I have no idea what money you are talking about.

Frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on December 21 2016 10:46:55 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 21 2016 :  12:24:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
The money comment may have to do with the ease of adding photos that this site affords. Photos take space on the server, and considering the length of time this site has been in existence, and all the photos it is hosting, that would be a huge amount of space.
Tyco Depot now requires the use of a photo hosting site like Photobucket, because additional space for photos costs money. Perhaps the occasional down time here is a result of the increasing load of all the photos?
I'm just thinking out loud, but all this information has to be stored somewhere, and that somewhere has a size limit. More size = more money, in the form of hardware or space on the 'cloud'.
Also, the lack of ads costs money as well.

To me, it's just common sense to ask the Captain what is keeping the ship afloat, when you start seeing a few more leaks. There is a ton of our work as well as invaluable information here. All past drama aside, it would be nice to have some communication from the ownership on the state of the Forum.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: lvrr325 Topic Next Topic: Why does this forum go down sometimes?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000