Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Rolling Stock
 Re-Creating the Elusive Tyco Derrick Car
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Christmas Themed Boxcars. Topic Next Topic: Tyco & Mantua differences  

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - December 04 2016 :  11:35:10 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
The Tyco/Mantua derrick car, circa 1960 or so, is relatively scarce and tends to fetch big bucks on eBay.

I was thinking that it would be possible and fairly easy to Frankenstein one together by cannibalizing the existing, inexpensive Model Power Pennsylvania derrick caboose and the Model Power flat car with guard rails.

First, you would need to remove the guard rails from the flat car, trim them to the right size, and re-insert them.

Then, you would need to remove the crane from the maintenance caboose and insert it onto the other end of the flatcar, facing in the other direction.

Finally, you would need to get a tiny eye-hook and screw it into the the base of the car, near the center, to connect the end of the cable.

Has anyone tried this?

The other option would be to just get an Athearn grey Pennsylvania derrick, which frankly looks much better than the Tyco. (This is what I did.) Still, I am tempted to build a Tyco-ish version with the method I described.

Edited by - ShockControl on December 04 2016 5:10:19 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 71  ~  Member Since: June 21 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 02 2022 Alert Moderator 

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - December 04 2016 :  1:07:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Does the Model Power derrick have more functionality to it than the Athearn one?
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - December 04 2016 :  1:16:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
quote:
Does the Model Power derrick have more functionality to it than the Athearn one?

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - December 04 2016 :  1:07:42 PM

Yes. The angle of the crane is not adjustable, but it has a tiny crank handle for lowering the cable.

The Athearn derrick is kept in place with the chain segments.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 71  ~  Member Since: June 21 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 02 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - December 04 2016 :  1:31:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
What Derrick car are you looking dorm? I have all of 5he plus a few extras.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - December 04 2016 :  1:34:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
That's kind of odd.. On my Athearn derrick the boom's angle was adjustable. That was all that was adjustable, though. No working cable, no rotating it.. Kind of a shame, that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - December 04 2016 :  1:35:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
quote:
What Derrick car are you looking dorm? I have all of 5he plus a few extras.

Originally posted by GG-1 Guy - December 04 2016 :  1:31:52 PM

Looking for the grey Pennsylvania derrick, but because I already have the (superior, IMO) Athearn, it is not real high on my want list. However, if and when I come across one in decent shape for a reasonable price, I would get it.

I often come across those two Model Power cars I described for short dough, so I am thinking of making the derrick myself, just to see how it looks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 71  ~  Member Since: June 21 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 02 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - December 04 2016 :  1:38:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
quote:
That's kind of odd.. On my Athearn derrick the boom's angle was adjustable. That was all that was adjustable, though. No working cable, no rotating it.. Kind of a shame, that.

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - December 04 2016 :  1:34:52 PM

Well, yes, it is adjustable based on the angle you choose for placing the chain, but once the chain is on, there is no crank-handle for moving it. At least not on the grey one that I have from the yellow-box era. (Athearn changed the color to tuscan red during the blue-box era.)

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - December 04 2016 :  2:21:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Hmm. Mine was a Genesis version my mom bought at a convention.
I wound up breaking the mast and losing the derrick some years ago, so I've stripped off the remaining other equipment and am working on converting it to a TOFC car

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - December 04 2016 :  2:36:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
quote:
Hmm. Mine was a Genesis version my mom bought at a convention.
Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - December 04 2016 :  2:21:10 PM

Are those the more recent higher-end models?

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - December 04 2016 :  2:57:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Yeah, although a lot of the rolling stock is still basically the same old toolings (but with metal wheelsets in the trucks).

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - December 04 2016 :  3:06:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
quote:
Yeah, although a lot of the rolling stock is still basically the same old toolings (but with metal wheelsets in the trucks).

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - December 04 2016 :  2:57:25 PM

But am I understanding correctly that the version you had included a mechanism for adjusting the chain? If so, that would be a difference from the earlier version.

Also, I don't think Athearn included a PRR derrick with that more recent series. (I've never seen one, at least.)

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - December 04 2016 :  4:48:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
No, it didn't have a mechanism, but as far as I can recall the chain didn't prevent me from manually adjusting the derrick

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - December 04 2016 :  4:57:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
Well, I just combined the two cars that I described, and other than the color schemes, it looks very similar to the old Tyco derrick.

I need to get a tiny eyelet hook. I will post pix either here or in the kit bashing sub-forum.

time warp
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - December 04 2016 :  5:29:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add time warp to Buddylist
The Model Power is the old Marx model.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 158  ~  Member Since: June 21 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - December 04 2016 :  5:39:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
quote:
The Model Power is the old Marx model.

Originally posted by time warp - December 04 2016 :  5:29:39 PM

But when you snap the derrick piece onto the flat car, it looks quite a bit like the Tyco derrick, except for the color scheme.

Edited by - ShockControl on December 04 2016 5:42:47 PM

time warp
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - December 09 2016 :  04:44:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add time warp to Buddylist
There's a nice Tyco Derrick car selling on eBay right now, up to $12.00 last I looked
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 158  ~  Member Since: June 21 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - December 09 2016 :  08:13:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
quote:
There's a nice Tyco Derrick car selling on eBay right now, up to $12.00 last I looked

Originally posted by time warp - December 09 2016 :  04:44:15 AM

Thanks! This will go for much more than twelve bucks.

I am looking for the PRR derrick. This one would be worth cannibalizing for parts, though, if I had a PRR base.

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - December 10 2016 :  12:27:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by time warp - December 09 2016 :  04:44:15 AM

The same seller is now auctioning PRR and Western Maryland derricks!
  Previous Topic: Christmas Themed Boxcars. Topic Next Topic: Tyco & Mantua differences  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000