Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Introduce yourself.
 A little history behind my railroad
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Hi to all with my first post Topic Next Topic: Well figure I should do this  

Mogul2063
Switcher

Posted - October 01 2016 :  10:56:38 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Mogul2063 to Buddylist
Hello all! Glad to be part of the site so here's a little about my hobby.

In short, I've been into HO scale for about 14 years now, but I'm happy to give an in depth story of my railroad, so hope this isn't too longwinded

In Christmas 2002 I received a train set made by IHC featuring a 2-6-0 Mogul, lettered for the PRR numbered 2063, hence my username. I have received a few train sets before then, but at this point I was 12 and I really wanted to make the train set last. My previous sets didn't last more than a couple months, and this was a nicer set so I wanted to make survive as long as possible.

Within a few months I was able to save up allowance to buy some cheap rolling stock and additional track. The expanded set lasted through the Summer so when August of 2003 came around, that was the very first time I purchased a locomotive. It was a Mantua 4-4-2 as the PRR Lindbergh Special in the glossy finish. I was interested in a PRR Atlantic and was lucky to find them for a reasonable price in a Train World ad at $69.95 a piece.

My railroad track was on a hard, concrete floor, which was the only good place I could have a layout, being my track had no roadbed. By the end of the year I was using my brother's bachmann e-z track as he wasn't too interested in running trains anymore. From that point on, I solely used e-z track. My brother's former layout was also on a custom table top so at that point, I used it so I could finally view my trains at head level. That meant the layout was relocated in my dad's basement. It was the perfect place because it was in a hidden little backroom with excellent lighting.

From 2004-2005 I acquired more locomotives and rolling stock by either purchasing them myself, receiving them as gifts or hand-me-downs. Since they were cheap, but also good performers, most of the locomotives on my railroad was made by IHC. I even had the 2-8-0 that used the same boiler and chassis as the Tyco Chattanooga 2-8-0. I enjoyed running trains, but I always dreamed of locomotives I would want to acquire in the future. The one I wanted most was the Bachmann Spectrum Pre-War PRR K4 and #2 was a Broadway Limited PRR M-class. A life-like GP35 partnered with a dummy unit and caboose was unknowingly the last piece of equipment I would receive for my railroad, getting them as a Christmas present in 2005.

I would continue to run trains through 2006, but by the end of the year I would transfer the track and rolling stock to my new home. This would go back to running on the floor like when I first had the IHC train set. The lighting wasn't as good and it didn't have a hidden back room so the atmosphere wasn't the same.

From January 2007 until late 2008 I was on a hiatus from my interest in model railroading when other events took over and other things took priority. My railroading interest sparked again around Thanksgiving 2008. I upgraded to better track, having wider radius curves and more straight distances, a snow plow and a new passenger coach. I still didn't run trains a whole lot but I did make time for them. The basement was still cluttered.

After the new year, I purchased a Proto 2000 GP30. This would be my first diesel purchase. This was when they had a manufacturing defect with the gears, so I returned it after only 30 days. That meant the GP35 from Christmas 2005 was still the newest locomotive on the railroad. I didn't purchase anything for the remainder of the year. When the Summer rolled around I finally spent more time running trains around, but it started to fade out once my first college semester began.

From early 2010 I began to pick up more hours on the job so I was able to save for something I had in mind for a while. On April 17 2010 I finally purchased that Bachmann Spectrum Pre-War K4. That was the most expensive locomotive on my layout at $130 (previously held by the Lindbergh engine). This tremendously sparked my interest in model railroading again and soon more track, rolling stock and locomotives followed.

The layout grew to a large floor layout and by 2013 was accompanied by another layout in the basement created by a friend and I. The main layout reached its peak in the Summer of 2014, but I had enlisted so I was going to have to dismantle the layout by the end of the year.

Ever since then I have not had a layout to run trains on, but since then I have acquired more locomotives and rolling stock than ever before. I plan to have a smaller layout starting early next year so I can finally run trains again. Until then, I patiently wait to run trains again!

Hope you enjoyed this.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4  ~  Member Since: September 15 2015  ~  Last Visit: July 08 2019 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 01 2016 :  3:53:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I hate priorities. They interfere with Tyco.

A small layout can be great. Barry has a neat thing going.
I look forward to seeing your work!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - October 01 2016 :  10:29:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Might want to get yourself some E-Z Track or Powerloc track or the like in the meantime. Some track you can quickly throw together temporarily to run trains on now and then while you wait for the chance to build a new proper layout.
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 01 2016 :  10:47:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
I built a 4'X5' layout with alot of action. Shortly after deciding on a track plan, I had to shrink it to 42"X48". My Tyco and old-time stuff runs fine on it. I have some 15"R mixed with 18"R. I love small layouts, and even if you can't run all your equipment, there's no reason not to have a small loop with switching to exercise your locos while you're "building the dream".

I've modeled in every scale, but I still come back to HO.

Welcome to the Forum!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Hi to all with my first post Topic Next Topic: Well figure I should do this  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000