Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 29 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 HO modules in progress at Club
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco Expander Layout 3 Topic Next Topic: Tyco Expander Layout  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 30 2016 :  8:37:36 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A community effort between myself and a couple of pals at the El Paso Model Train Club.
Modules dated to circa 1986 and didn't conform to NMRA standards.
I scraped and sanded them down to bare wood, while Stan and
Harald laid out a new track plan. I'm doing the wiring, which is frightening, as wiring has never been my strong
suite. None the less, it is coming along. It will have a three track main line and an additional eight tracks for
staging and classification spanning four six foot modules.

Learning from past adventures, the controls and toggles will be on the outside, rear, of the adjoining
modules- so no more ducking under, which is a boon to those of the membership who are getting older.
Also, the power feeds and modules are designed to be set up with minimum fuss.

Edited by - Chops124 on September 30 2016 8:39:34 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - September 30 2016 :  10:32:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Well, seeing as the NMRA didn't have standards for modules back then it's no wonder those oldies were noncompliant.

Look forward to seeing this develop more

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 01 2016 :  12:44:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yes, me too. Wire and test. Wire and test. Find out I wired the wrong
track, now have to trace back the wires and start over again. Blech.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 01 2016 :  10:44:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Wow, 6 foot long? I take it these may not be transported often? Or someone has a van or p/u truck. My little Chevy HHR can barely take 4 foot modules, much less a 6 footer. Looking good, though. And you won't get better without experience, which is a way of saying failing and retrying again. . I don't mind wiring, I've been doing it for years in electronics. I just wired up my train shop's test track for modularity, having multiple types of track, AC and DC, I wanted to be able to QUICKLY switch between them, not have to fumble with alligator clips to the track, etc. Had the DC part done 6 months ago, but just got to the AC stuff this past week, now that's all wired up and ready to use easily.
Anyway, that yard looks pretty impressive, try to enjoy the learning experience.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 01 2016 :  4:49:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yes, we stick in them the back of pick ups, cars, etc. for local shows.

A lot of the guys are thrown off by Cab A/B stuff, and it is a trick to
remember which polarity one is running into, so the blocks are simple
to use: on or off. Hand throws on the turn outs; no confusing schematics.

The main trick has been keeping the color codes straight while I wire them up. Amazingly easy to wire the wrong track. Amazing.

KISS principle.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco Expander Layout 3 Topic Next Topic: Tyco Expander Layout  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000