Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW Sept 4 - Sept 10, 2016
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 	LOTW Sept 11 - Sept 17, 2016 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Aug 28 to Sept 3, 2016  

chevelle454
Big Six

SFChiefAvatar

Posted - September 03 2016 :  3:34:55 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add chevelle454 to Buddylist
My locomotive of the week is this tenderless Life Like 0-4-0 in UP livery. Does anyone have a tender they could spare?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: June 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: August 02 2023 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 03 2016 :  7:15:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
[URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/jdboomer904/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160903-003138_zpsxggirssg.png.html] [/URL]

Won this nice Rivarossi 0-8-0 last night. 454, when I'm home next month, I'll check for to see if I got a tender for your engine.

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 04 2016 :  1:36:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
This is a special post for me today. Not due to the date, but due to the engine I'm posting. ( warning! long story! ) This one is my childhood engine, I got the set in 1962, I was almost 3 years old. While not a great set , it's got the plastic encased motor in the engine, but it DOES have some magna-traction in it, I think its actually a 1961 set when I looked it up, I ran this thing for a long time. Always took good care of it, too. But it had been put away, left in parents storage, until I took it back in the '80's, and it's been with me ever since. I finally broke it out last year, and started checking out the engine, it would hum but not move. I took it apart, cleaned it at my train shop, put it back together...and it didn't even hum anymore! I put away again, saddened. I wasn't sure what I did to it.
Fast forward to yesterday, I was working on a similar engine that JUST came into the shop, it was running, but squalling. I took it apart, cleaned it all up, oiled it, put it back together...IT STOPPED RUNNING! AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Now what?! My co-worker broke out the book, and I looked over the parts diagram closely. Nothing obvious, but then my co-worker pointed out the special E-unit gears. And then I noticed the way the two V contact springs were touching the two gears. This customer unit had two small holes in the gears, I thought they were like timing marks, line-em up. The book was a repro, and the diagram tiny, but when I looked REAL close, I could see the springs were touching a metal pad on one gear on one side, and not on the other side at the same time. I looked at what I did to the customer engine, and the contacts were touching on BOTH sides on EACH spring. WRONG! So much for obviousness!
So, I shifted one gear slightly to move the spring off the contact on one side, and put it back together. Holding my breath, I took it to the test track, and it fired up and it ran around in circles. WHEW! had me worried there! Still made a bit of noise around the track, so I got some more oil on the main axles, and it finally quit making noise. I was happy to get the customer engine running again after I'd broken it! These plastic Lionel motors have a two-gear E-unit, unlike the original Drum units of earlier models. A bit easier to work on, but they have some issues, plastic flashing on the gear teeth can prevent the gears from turning, I found two teeth like this in the customer unit, and cleaned them up. It then seemed to switch backwards and forwards now, which it didn't do easily before I got into it. A learning experience for sure!
Now, back to mine. Saturday evening, I decide to get mine out, take it apart again, and move the gears. I checked the teeth, the brushes, reinstalled the gears the way I had at the shop, and then put it aside until morning.
Sunday, I got up, and went rummaging in the basement for test track and a transformer ( and a track clip ). Found all 3, and I had some wood on the back deck, and took a piece and made a 6-section test track in 0-27. I have test tracks in other gauges, but had not made one for O gauge as of yet. Fixed THAT problem! Hooked it all up, got my cell phone on Video mode, and hit the lever on the Marx transformer - it hums, but the engine didn't move. NOW what? I looked for my voltmeter, but couldn't find it, so got a 18 volt bulb and socket, and brought that out. Nothing...Hmmm. Hey, it's got a red reset button on the side. I pressed it, and it snapped back down. OK, then! Fire up the phonecam again, hit the power, and off the engine goes finally! YAY! My childhood engine is FINALLY rolling again after nearly 30 years! Probably more. Then the smoke stack starts puffing, so even THAT is still working!
All in all, a learning experience on these far Post-war engines, not the same as the older mechanical ones. But I successfully fixed two of these in 2 days, so for that I"m very happy! I intend to take my entire train set to the shop Tuesday to run it on the 4x6 test track we have there. It'll probably be the first time in 30 years the whole set ( almost, I can't find my original tender, will have to borrow one for now, it's in the house somewhere I'm sure ) will be running together again. Pretty stoked that it's running now after all these years. I am pretty sure I had it set up to run at Xmas around 1988 or so, now that I think of it, I made a base for it and put it around a tree.
Anyway, a happy day for me, and a special LOTW post. Hopefully it'll be puffing away at the shop Tuesday in all it's glory again.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 04 2016 :  1:52:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That's pretty fine Jerry.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - September 04 2016 :  5:53:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Well boys I finally did it. I completed my mint Spirit of 76 Locomotive collection! My LOTW is this new Sof76 Alco 430 with the rare Presidential Seal! I also have 2 other Alco 430 Sof76 one being mint as well (its on its way) and the other being my first Tyco locomotive. Anyways I was super excited that I won this. I can't believe that I have finally completed my Spirit of 76 collection. I have now shifted my focus to acquiring all road names of the Alco 430. (If anyone has a Grand Trunk 430 PLEASE MESSAGE ME )

The outer box is pretty beat up. :/

But on the inside is a brand new Tyco Alco 430! I love the blue stripe on the front.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - September 04 2016 :  6:40:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Great to see it run Jerry! And one very nice POTUS engine Kris!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - September 05 2016 :  12:58:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Tyco with Lionel caboose...

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 05 2016 :  3:26:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A second Hornby streamlined Pacific the Coronation.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - September 05 2016 :  9:10:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
Great to see it run Jerry! And one very nice POTUS engine Kris!

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - September 04 2016 :  6:40:50 PM

Thank you! I'm thrilled to finally have one! Also cool Lionel scout engine Jerry. Inspires me to post some O Scale stuff later.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 05 2016 :  11:51:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great stuffs! When I saw Ken's Coronation, all I could
think was: "be still, my beating heart!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - September 06 2016 :  12:08:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
That's a wonderful story Jerry, great to hear you got it running again. Nice LOTWs all around. My loco this week is a DCCed Life Like teakettle, the version with the big can motor. Runs decent. I added a front coupler, still need to paint it.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 06 2016 :  11:34:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW:

A pretty rare and awesome find... HO NJCB Custom Brass #167 PRR Pennsylvania Streamlined Gas Electric passenger locomotive:

It needs to be stripped and re-painted and a couple small dings removed from the roof, but it was a pretty exciting score. The only example like it I could find sold on BrassTrains.com for $495. I picked this one up with a group of three other brass passenger cars, a Fleischmann Mikado and Rivarossi Cab Forward (Locos only for both) for just under $140.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!

Edited by - Mustangs_n_Trains on September 06 2016 11:34:56 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - September 06 2016 :  1:04:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I remember that auction! I was intrigued by the motor car.

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - September 06 2016 :  4:22:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
My loco for the week.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - September 06 2016 :  6:28:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW:

A pretty rare and awesome find... HO NJCB Custom Brass #167 PRR Pennsylvania Streamlined Gas Electric passenger locomotive:

It needs to be stripped and re-painted and a couple small dings removed from the roof, but it was a pretty exciting score. The only example like it I could find sold on BrassTrains.com for $495. I picked this one up with a group of three other brass passenger cars, a Fleischmann Mikado and Rivarossi Cab Forward (Locos only for both) for just under $140.

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - September 06 2016 :  11:34:05 AM

Sounds like you got a great deal!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 06 2016 :  8:45:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
My loco for the week.

Originally posted by raysouthernpac - September 06 2016 :  4:22:10 PM

I remember seeing FURX locos in UP colors too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 06 2016 :  11:42:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Sean, you are THE shopper. This unit looks pretty fine as is.

quote:
My LOTW:

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - September 06 2016 :  11:34:05 AM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 10 2016 :  5:26:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Nice score on the Pennsy. Please post the entire set, when u can. My
Athearn rubber band drive Budds.

Congrats, AMC. Always great to hear about bringing old, forgotten things
back to their use. Once upon a time your LOTW was the apple of someone's
eye, forgotten about for decades, and now she graces the rails again. Great
work!

Edited by - Chops124 on September 10 2016 5:29:30 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mikesayre
Switcher

Posted - September 12 2016 :  07:37:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mikesayre to Buddylist
quote:
[URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/jdboomer904/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160903-003138_zpsxggirssg.png.html] [/URL]

Won this nice Rivarossi 0-8-0 last night. 454, when I'm home next month, I'll check for to see if I got a tender for your engine.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - September 03 2016 :  7:15:11 PM

I was wondering if this loco has the smaller flanges they offered on some of their other locomotives in the 90s (or so).....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: September 12 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 02 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - September 12 2016 :  1:34:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
It does. RP25 and will run on code 83.

mikesayre
Switcher

Posted - September 12 2016 :  6:05:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mikesayre to Buddylist
quote:
It does. RP25 and will run on code 83.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - September 12 2016 :  1:34:34 PM

I know they'd done the Mikado, the Berks, and the articulateds; now I have to scare up one of these (a guilty pleasure). I'm not sure I'm happy about this.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: September 12 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 02 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: 	LOTW Sept 11 - Sept 17, 2016 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Aug 28 to Sept 3, 2016  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000