Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW August 14 - August 20, 2016
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW August 21 - August 27, 2016 Topic Next Topic: LOTW August 7th - August 13th, 2016  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 14 2016 :  09:01:08 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
My LOTW is this Mogul:

Its high drivers make it proud looking power for passenger service:

Another view shows its front and left side:

This began, long ago, as a brass engine with no brand markings, whatever, on the model or the box. The boiler, cab, etc. were damaged beyond repair, but the chassis and tender were very good. I had the body of a Tyco Shifter and an extra cab, so I spliced two cabs for extra length, making a body for the chassis. I didn't quite like the thing, but lately I looked at it again and decided a better paint job would make it look pretty good. To my eye, it worked.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator 

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 14 2016 :  10:50:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice looking train Don. I like the box car tucked in to the passenger load.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - August 14 2016 :  10:52:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
excellent!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 14 2016 :  11:02:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Nice pictures and engine! Your layout looks really good too. What is the grass in the third picture made from?

Here are a pair of Tyco Pennsylvania F's.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - August 14 2016 :  12:43:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
[URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/jdboomer904/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160808_125415_zpsqwbxxfhp.jpg.html] [/URL]

Gem/Olympia S2 turbine. That 2-6-0 is a great looking model!

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - August 14 2016 :  8:23:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Really good looking loco shaggy. And curiosity has me as well about the grass in the third photo.
What did you use for that?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 14 2016 :  8:33:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
What is the grass in the third picture made from?
Originally posted by DaCheez - August 14 2016 :  11:02:36 AM

Cheez, the grass in the picture is manila hemp from an old frayed end of a rope. I cut the wound strands into lengths of about 1/4 to 3/8 inch and stuck them into full-strength carpenter's glue on the scenery. This made for grass that was a bit too golden, so I dabbed on a little bit of diluted olive green latex paint to tone it down a bit.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

Justin, that turbine engine is fascinating. When a friend of mine who was a mechanical engineer passed away, his family gave me a file folder of articles he had saved about railroads and one was about that engine. It amazes me that a turbine could directly drive a locomotive. Usually, one thinks of turbines as low torque and high speed: the opposite of what it takes to start a train rolling.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - August 14 2016 :  11:44:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Awesome looking mogul Don. She's a beauty. That Turbine is badass. Always liked the beast-like look of the S1. Nice F's Cheez!

My contribution was picked up at a thrift store for $24 (along with a LL P2K Gon, LL hopper, like 50 pieces of track and a Kalmback "Basic Trackplans" book (and a P1K power pack).

It's a True-Line trains CNR RS18. It's missing couplers, a couple of details and the sideframes for the rear truck. I also need to disassemble it and look at it as it slips while running.

Dan M.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 15 2016 :  11:45:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Well I am posting my TYCO 0-6-0t road name TYCO. Still in the box. I need to remove it to see is it has the other side. Just it is so hot up in the attic. I was up there yesterday. Ran the AC up there for an hour and still it wasn't comfy yet. But didn't get to the Tyco side tanker. I know for sure It has one side.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on August 15 2016 11:54:13 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - August 15 2016 :  11:59:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
Here is an interesting piece this week. My LOTW is an Ugly Pacific (Yes I despise that railroad) Gas Turbine Resin Kit. It is actually a very nice kit with tons of details. It runs with an athearn drivetrain (not supplied) and brings pretty much all you need to build an amazing engine at a fraction of what an Athearn engine will cost you.

Looks like the manufacture is out of business so I couldn't find any additional information on this engine.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 15 2016 :  1:38:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
. Just it is so hot up in the attic. I was up there yesterday. Ran the AC up there for an hour and still it wasn't comfy yet.

Originally posted by toptrain - August 15 2016 :  11:45:55 AM

well next time use a FAN up there with the AC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - August 15 2016 :  8:48:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Interesting kit Ray!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 16 2016 :  6:34:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great looking pieces this week. Here's a Bachmann E60
doing the rounds on the Tyco Expander Layout.
Passengers are a getting their daily dose.

Edited by - Chops124 on August 16 2016 6:35:01 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - August 16 2016 :  10:08:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
My LOTW is what appears to be a "mint" Golden Eagle. The paint has almost no scratches and the wheels look new(no track marks on them.) I was searching for a Golden Eagle set for a long time and finally found one cheap enough to buy. I actually got it for quite a steal. It appears to have came from a train set as the locomotive box has no markings on the end.

EDIT: Had to edit my links as I used the Imgur link instead of the direct file link.

Edited by - kristofer4301 on August 16 2016 10:28:55 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 17 2016 :  12:43:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Here is an interesting piece this week. My LOTW is an Ugly Pacific (Yes I despise that railroad) Gas Turbine Resin Kit. It is actually a very nice kit with tons of details. It runs with an athearn drivetrain (not supplied) and brings pretty much all you need to build an amazing engine at a fraction of what an Athearn engine will cost you.

Looks like the manufacture is out of business so I couldn't find any additional information on this engine.

Originally posted by raysouthernpac - August 15 2016 :  11:59:10 AM

I did look this up & it seems they got started in 2002
Prolly went out during the recession
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - August 18 2016 :  12:22:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - August 18 2016 :  09:41:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

WOW....that thing is cooler than cool. I've never seen one of those before. A shame they went out of business, I'd love to build one of those!

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - August 18 2016 :  12:58:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

WOW....that thing is cooler than cool. I've never seen one of those before. A shame they went out of business, I'd love to build one of those!

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - August 18 2016 :  09:41:15 AM

It is actually quite nice and the detail on it is pretty darn amazing. Now I need to get some athearn trucks, details and paint....and a dcc decoder.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
Edited by - raysouthernpac on August 18 2016 4:51:23 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - August 18 2016 :  4:35:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:

Cool kit Ray. Southern Pacific did test one of these on the coast line, although it was a dual cab version. You could paint it in demonstrator colors and put it on the head of your SP manifests.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 19 2016 :  10:15:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
my loco this week a mehano made ihc sacramento southern pacific 4-6-2,ken

needs headlamp

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around

Edited by - catfordken on August 20 2016 4:48:51 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - August 20 2016 :  4:13:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
my loco this week a sacramento southern pacific 4-6-2,ken

needs headlamp

Originally posted by catfordken - August 19 2016 :  10:15:21 AM

IHC?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 20 2016 :  4:31:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi, kristofer4301 ,mehano made the locos ihc distributed them,ken

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around

Edited by - catfordken on August 20 2016 4:48:19 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - August 20 2016 :  4:59:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
hi, kristofer4301 ,mehano made the locos ihc distributed them,ken

Originally posted by catfordken - August 20 2016 :  4:31:38 PM

Oh yeah, that's right! I forgot Mehano was even a thing. I really shouldn't have as I own 2 Mehano Mikados.
  Previous Topic: LOTW August 21 - August 27, 2016 Topic Next Topic: LOTW August 7th - August 13th, 2016  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000