Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW July 31 - August 6 2016
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW August 7th - August 13th, 2016 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - July 24 to July 30, 2016  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 31 2016 :  12:16:32 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

CNJ Alco up a 1.5% grade at the Club last week. Valvoline car is from Tramp's
collection.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 31 2016 :  5:00:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
The Redwoods and Pacific RR just acquired this fine IHC 2-8-0. Super runner.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - July 31 2016 :  5:22:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Loving that 2-8-0. IHC had the best low-cost steamers in recent years. I miss them :(
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - July 31 2016 :  6:19:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
New acquisition. Paid $20 for this and 2 LL Passenger cars (see COTW). Another one of those locos I had a a kid. Haven't run her yet (need a layout for that), but it looks good. And for around $10...? All it needs is a front coupler from the look of it.

I love Tyco!

Edited by - DanMacK on July 31 2016 6:21:50 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 31 2016 :  6:22:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
At Hamburg PA today I got this locomotive. Gilbert 31019 B&O 0-6-0.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - July 31 2016 :  6:30:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Beautiful condition on that 0-6-0!

Nice find Frank

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 31 2016 :  6:32:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice Gilbert. That Golden Eagle will look most fitting
on the lead of those coaches you snagged.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Heihachi_73
Switcher

Posted - July 31 2016 :  7:56:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Heihachi_73 to Buddylist
My recently-acquired sick Rock Island Shark has been cured!

History of my RI Shark:
When I first bought the loco back on February 19 (an $8 (USD) eBay special which ended up costing $32 in total to ship to Australia!), the motor was chock full of dust and practically seized, and the loco was missing the front and rear couplers (only the stub of the rear coupler was still there - suffice to say this was the first thing that had to be changed, a set of Kadee #5s being installed immediately).

I managed to get the motor working nicely, but the drive wheels were wobbly and the rearmost plastic wheel had a broken flange, and within two laps of the layout the loco would stall unless the power pack was kept above 8 volts, and it would wobble all over the place and accumulate dirt on the wheels very quickly (mostly the rears). Sometimes the motor itself would refuse to move at all with only the light going on (I think the magnets may have been a bit weak, especially with the fact it couldn't pull itself out of a wet paper bag unless it was in notch 8, and low-speed crawling was out of the question unless the loco was upside down). I replaced the rear wheelsets with metal wheels from a Lima "Railways of Australia" passenger car (hmm, Baldwin... Lima...), which were the same size; the rear truck had to be bored out slightly to fit however, as it was the later narrow axle type from around 1980. Unfortunately the nickel-plated Lima wheels didn't cure the intermittent running or the wobbly wheels up front either, and they still managed to gather the same amount of dirt afterwards, so for about a month the Shark was turned into a dummy (a dummy shark?). Now that wasn't what I wanted, of course!

My reborn Shark:
I also happened to have a perfectly working, but poor condition Powerline Linkline F3 (it's meant to imitate an Australian "GM" class, but those have six axles) - I believe the original manufacturer was Frateschi. This loco was a cheaper "train set" type with green and gold Australian National livery and European loop couplers designed mainly to run with Lima stock (notably the aforementioned passenger cars). This loco was missing a horn, all of the steps, and the pilot was broken. Originally just for laughs, I gutted the Shark and test-fitted the F3's chassis. Not quite, there's something stopping it from slotting in. I had to file down a small amount of the inside of the body near the rear (side) door as it wasn't flush, and then the new chassis fit perfectly! The only problem was, there was nothing for it to hold onto as it was designed to be kept in place by the F3's fuel tank, and while the F3's fuel tank actually fit perfectly as well, I wanted to keep at least something original so I modified the old Tyco fuel tank lid (which holds the weights in place in the original design) and clipped it back in place. There was only one problem left, the tongue for the F3's front talgo coupler (coupler removed of course) was hitting the inside of the shell where the body-mounted one was, so I had to file it back so it would clear the rear of the Kadee up front (which was simply screwed in by itself without the draft gear box).

The F3 already had Kadees fitted (I converted that one long ago), although they were slightly below the correct height, so I had to bend the trip pins up so they wouldn't hit the turnout. I will probably have to source some 147s (offset knuckles) at some point, as I don't think anything else will work in there, but for now the 1mm difference isn't really noticeable except on rough track or steep inclines where it can uncouple. The rear coupler is still the talgo type, but it works fine with just about anything (excluding long cars with body-mounted couplers, where I put a shorter car between it and the loco).

Don't worry, the original PowerTorque motor and trucks are still safe (and working), although as stated the fuel tank had to be modified to fit the new chassis (the weights will go to better use too). I just had to keep the Tyco logo on there! Probably the only things left to do with this loco would be to find some appropriate truck frames, as the typical F-unit Blomberg trucks just don't look right on there compared to the Shark's original trucks. One could say that this loco has been modified to run in multiple with EMDs!

Of course, the only other thing would be to convert this loco to DCC now that it has a modern can motor and all wheel drive and pickup, but that's for another time; I don't actually have any DCC locos at home so this will be staying on DC for a long time.

Edited by - Heihachi_73 on July 31 2016 8:02:53 PM
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 89  ~  Member Since: April 29 2016  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 31 2016 :  8:12:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Well, since this looks like "shark week" on Tyco Forums, I'll post one of my two all metal Mantua versions. :D I upgraded my yellow and red one with some copper mesh in the trucks to enhance contact, I haven't done it to this Tyco version yet. But I DID add a P-40 Warhawk tiger mouth to it. LOL! I will get one painted on eventually. This one runs slow, due to the poor contact it probably has, the other one with upgraded trucks runs much smoother and faster, although it's a lot of metal for that MU-2 to push. It probably needs a better motor, too. maybe one day. At any rate, my Tyco shark, gents.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 31 2016 :  9:13:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Beautiful condition on that 0-6-0!

Nice find Frank

Originally posted by DanMacK - July 31 2016 :  6:30:58 PM

Dan' it is the first one I have seen in over a year and I got to a lot of train shows. It is in real good shape. Everything works. It was a heck of a day.
It joined the other 0-6-0's and now I got all 3 again.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on July 31 2016 9:17:31 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - July 31 2016 :  9:17:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Nice! Those Gilbert 0-6-0's are nice for sure.

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - August 01 2016 :  2:58:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
Impulse buy alert.

I fell in love with this engine which of course is a long way from home on my mostly Western Railroad layout. It will get plenty of yun time though on the layout.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - August 01 2016 :  4:50:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
Impulse buy alert.

I fell in love with this engine which of course is a long way from home on my mostly Western Railroad layout. It will get plenty of yun time though on the layout.

Originally posted by raysouthernpac - August 01 2016 :  2:58:04 PM

I like that cool green scheme. Very nice.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 01 2016 :  8:17:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
can't read what it sez
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - August 01 2016 :  10:02:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Looks like an Aberdeen, Carolina and Western ex CNR GP40-2w

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23711298@N07/4212165618/

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - August 02 2016 :  11:29:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Impulse buy alert.

Originally posted by raysouthernpac - August 01 2016 :  2:58:04 PM

I like that cool green scheme. Very nice.

Originally posted by Redwoods - August 01 2016 :  4:50:39 PM

Thanks! It looked very Early merger BNSF to me. (Think they call it the executive scheme). It's an atlas so it runds as good as it looks

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - August 02 2016 :  11:29:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
Looks like an Aberdeen, Carolina and Western ex CNR GP40-2w

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23711298@N07/4212165618/

Originally posted by DanMacK - August 01 2016 :  10:02:54 PM

Correct!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 02 2016 :  1:56:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Thanks! It looked very Early merger BNSF to me. (Think they call it the executive scheme). It's an atlas so it runds as good as it looks

Originally posted by raysouthernpac - August 02 2016 :  11:29:22 AM

that was the BN scheme b4 the BNSF merger
I thought that too

Also looking for the Golden Eagle & caboose

Edited by - microbusss on August 02 2016 2:02:16 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - August 02 2016 :  4:19:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by raysouthernpac - August 02 2016 :  11:29:22 AM

that was the BN scheme b4 the BNSF merger
I thought that too

Also looking for the Golden Eagle & caboose

Originally posted by microbusss - August 02 2016 :  1:56:06 PM

I have a Golden Eagle and Caboose for sale. Make me an offer.

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - August 06 2016 :  2:21:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
My loco this week is a Mantua Big 6 switcher that I recently received. It is currently in the shop
being rebuilt. This is the 1980 production model.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 06 2016 :  10:57:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Cool you got the special valve gear with that George. I've always like the lines of that model.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

trainman280
Little Six

trainman

Posted - August 08 2016 :  2:41:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add trainman280 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by oldtimer52 - August 06 2016 :  2:21:39 PM

Gosh what paint scheme was the original owner thinking?

If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 105  ~  Member Since: March 16 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - August 08 2016 :  7:39:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Probably the "pot head express" from the colors on it now.

The valve gear was the reason I grabbed this one to start with. I'm trying to get all of the
Mantua switchers that had the valve gear.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - August 09 2016 :  3:02:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
The Redwoods and Pacific RR just acquired this fine IHC 2-8-0. Super runner.

Originally posted by Redwoods - July 31 2016 :  5:00:51 PM

They do well converted to DCC. so far I have done 2.

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 10 2016 :  10:11:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
have not listed for a while so this is my lot for the missing weeks lol

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - August 10 2016 :  11:33:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
Here is an interesting pair of one of my favorite locos.

Alco FA units in Espee colors. total fantasy as the SP never had FA units but they look great.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 10 2016 :  2:45:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
have not listed for a while so this is my lot for the missing weeks lol

Originally posted by catfordken - August 10 2016 :  10:11:48 AM

OOOO! me wants the SP Olympic loco!

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 11 2016 :  12:47:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
send me something i want or that you think i might you got it lol

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 11 2016 :  3:50:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
send me something i want or that you think i might you got it lol

Originally posted by catfordken - August 11 2016 :  12:47:03 PM

I dunno what you wants
*hides Areotrain*
  Previous Topic: LOTW August 7th - August 13th, 2016 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - July 24 to July 30, 2016  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000