Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Fun with Eldon track ( and Fleischmann, too )
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Jerry''s game table N gauge double track loop Topic Next Topic: DC Walk Around Throttle  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 02 2016 :  12:17:51 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I finally got enough of my Eldon track collection together today,and decided to finally see what sort of layouts I could do with it. Having a circle is OK, but I thought combining the extreme short radius curves with others to create a different track scheme would be fun.

So , I swept off the top of the hot tub on the deck, and started laying out the Eldon ( and Fleischmann ) track. Fleischmann also has a tight radius ( 250mm ), I think number 6020 if you're looking for that, out of production a long time now, but enough to make a double-track line with the Eldon 7.5" radius. Sometime earlier this year I found a lot of Eldon track on Ebay and was able to score 3 sets ( 12 pieces ) of curved, and the same number I think of small straights. Plus I already had 2 sets, one is mounted on a black plastic party platter I've posted before as a mini-layout. I don't know where the other single set is at the moment. :/

Anyway, got to moving the tracks around, I could use it for either a trolley system or a small 2-axle locomotive short line. Thinking about for a trolley set-up, use the small Eldon 4.5" straights, and put a small town in the middle, would have 5 or 6 road crossovers. I just re-measured after looking at the pictures again, I will need to remove the center short straight to fit it onto a 2 x 4 sheet. But it is doable. Thinking now to make the scenery modular, too, so I can swap in the trolley town, or make it a small business district with a docksider or small Plymouth diesel hauling goods in and out. Either way, will be a long-term project. :)

The double loop would make a nice set-up, I could run passenger train on one line, and freight on the other. I have several of the Eldon #2 ? switches as well, so could put them into play to make a crossover angled across the center. More design work to play with. :)

Overall, lots of possibilities to explore with such short radius curves. Not meant for the "Big Boy(s)" at all! Only shortys need apply here. Now here are the pictures...

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 
  Previous Topic: Jerry''s game table N gauge double track loop Topic Next Topic: DC Walk Around Throttle  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000