Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Homemade coupler whiskers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: some freight cars i have been working on Topic Next Topic: new face for  a Mantua Pacific  

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - May 05 2016 :  11:19:33 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I find whisker centering springs on couplers very much preferable to separate ones, especially the fragile "copper plate with raised sides" type. And in the case of certain of my couplers, the draft boxes were absent and unobtainable, and reference images were scarce. In the case of others, they were designed for the copper plate type and had not come with any.

The first case would be the early Kadee #4 couplers fitted to a lot of six Athearn streamline cars I got for Christmas:

This was what got me experimenting with homemade whiskers. For these, I cut a strip from an empty soda can and glued the coupler back to it, then cut it down to size and bent it on either side.

The other case is this:

I bought a lot of 8 pairs of ProtoMax's Kadee #5 clones for $6.50 shipped. A good deal, though they came without draft gear or centering springs. For these whiskers, I just glue a strip of soda can aluminum to either side and then cut it down to size.

Both cases have performed well in bench testing. Haven't tested on the track yet, but I will.

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

fourteen
Little Six

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 06 2016 :  03:07:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add fourteen to Buddylist
Cool , let id know how it turns out
Modeling on the cheap
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 137  ~  Member Since: December 08 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - May 06 2016 :  08:46:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I will, assuming I don't get myself kicked out..
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - May 06 2016 :  9:56:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
First a question: What kind of glue do you use?

Second some encouragement: If you keep cutting up empty soda cans your odds of getting kicked out are still materially less than if you start cutting up full ones (especially in the house).

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2355  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - May 06 2016 :  10:15:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I use Krazy Glue. It's cheap quick-dry cyanoacrylate.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - May 06 2016 :  11:24:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
Have you had a chance to test these yet? I have all of my stuff packed up in hopes of a move. So I won't be able to try this until the fall.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 259  ~  Member Since: October 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - May 06 2016 :  11:39:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
No, not yet, sorry. Been caught up in other projects, coursework, and tab-pruning in my browser
  Previous Topic: some freight cars i have been working on Topic Next Topic: new face for  a Mantua Pacific  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000