Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Need Parts
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Love those sellers Topic Next Topic: The Weather Outside ! ! !  

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 01 2016 :  8:26:51 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
I am trying to fix this Mantua boxcar to the look when I got it. It has a metal bottom. I can not find any couplers to fit the coupler box. As the picture shows, the hole for the coupler is toward the back. I need 4 if I can find them. I am missing one door and the bottom rail for that door. I do not know what to do about the stirrups - maybe get a junk car and cut the stirrups off and glue to this car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator 

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 01 2016 :  9:03:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Well, you've got a broken end of one of the original couplers. You can even see where the whisker was. Comb eBay for couplers that match.

As for the stirrups.. If the originals were hollow, you could cut ones of the same shape out of a bit of scrap plastic and glue them on, then paint them to suit.
The door rails appear to be flat metal rods bent at the end. Is that indeed the case?

Feedback-hungry attention w****
Edited by - ZeldaTheSwordsman on February 01 2016 9:04:20 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 01 2016 :  9:11:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
I am trying to fix this Mantua boxcar to the look when I got it. It has a metal bottom. I can not find any couplers to fit the coupler box. As the picture shows, the hole for the coupler is toward the back. I need 4 if I can find them. I am missing one door and the bottom rail for that door. I do not know what to do about the stirrups - maybe get a junk car and cut the stirrups off and glue to this car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by thetramp - February 01 2016 :  8:26:51 PM

tramp - was just going through a bunch of old horn-hook couplers, not sure if I have any in that configuration but I'll look. Edit: nope, could not find any.

Finding an old box car and cutting off the stirrups for yours is probably the best option if you're going for the original look. If not, you can bend brass wire for an alternate replacement. Perhaps you could source a door and bottom rail the same way.

Box car doors are readily available on ebay of all different sizes and types if you can paint to match.

http://tycodepot.com/
Edited by - JNXT 7707 on February 01 2016 9:52:42 PM
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 01 2016 :  10:51:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
quote:

The door rails appear to be flat metal rods bent at the end. Is that indeed the case?

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - February 01 2016 :  9:03:27 PM

Yes, it is a flat metal rod.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 02 2016 :  03:40:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by thetramp - February 01 2016 :  10:51:42 PM

Well then, all you need to do to replace it is find some more rod of the same thickness, cut it to length, and bend the ends.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 02 2016 :  06:02:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
That set of trucks need not just a coupler but a coupler spring. A old coupler that was a one piece coupler and spring all nylon, where the nylon spring broke off and the horn hook coupler head is still good, can be used to replace this coupler. You need to still file down the thickness of the coupler pin hole to match the old broken one in your photo. The spring you need to make from thin steel wire. The missing still coupler box needs to be made from brass, or tined steel of the same thickness.
There are easier ways to mount a coupler on that truck's coupler arm.

easest
* Later truck sets work the same but use standard tyco mantua X2F couplers and are basically the same in appearance and construction. Change the trucks.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 02 2016 :  06:38:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
I ended up removing the old coupler box on mine, drilling out the pin hole with a #50 drill, tapping for a 2-56 screw, and then installed a standard Kadee box.
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 02 2016 :  11:25:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by thetramp - February 01 2016 :  10:51:42 PM

Well then, all you need to do to replace it is find some more rod of the same thickness, cut it to length, and bend the ends.

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - February 02 2016 :  03:40:40 AM

I looked this morning and that bottom rail is an L shaped rod.

Edited by - thetramp on February 02 2016 11:26:34 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 02 2016 :  11:34:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
This morning, I found some coupler boxes and trucks without couplers attached. I drilled a 5/64 hole in the metal bottom and attached the coupler boxes. Screwed in the trucks, put it on the track and checked the coupler height which was right on. All I need to find is the L shaped bottom rail, a door and stirrups .

Jerry, do you have a picture of the way you fixed yours?

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 02 2016 :  11:34:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
tramp - do you want it to look good or look good AND be operational? Reason I ask is that it's much easier to fabricate a fix to get it to the point it looks original, a little more involved to get back to a fully operational sliding door.

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 02 2016 :  11:55:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
Jerry, the door does not have open and close. It could stay shut or half open.

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 02 2016 :  1:08:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Jerry, how do you figure that? From the looks of it, all you'd need is to make or get new door, and a bottom rail.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 02 2016 :  2:29:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Jerry, how do you figure that? From the looks of it, all you'd need is to make or get new door, and a bottom rail.

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - February 02 2016 :  1:08:32 PM

Zelda -
Yes, in any case tramp needs a replacement door. Many sources available for that, both new and recycled old parts.
He'll need a junker for the stirrups if he wants to keep the original look. Not too hard to find that - could even source a gondola, reefer, flat or tank car for those. Finding a junker box car with the correct type rail narrows it down more though. Some come with other types of rail, or just molded on doors/rail. So the thought is, it might be easier to fabricate a rail that you can simply glue on with the replacement door - if an operating door is not crucial.

Edited by - JNXT 7707 on February 02 2016 2:30:36 PM

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 02 2016 :  3:42:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
All he'd really have to do (assuming he couldn't find an L-shaped metal rod to bend for the new rail) is glue a thin lip cut from an empty soda can or somesuch to the underside of the rail.

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 02 2016 :  5:42:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
quote:
All he'd really have to do (assuming he couldn't find an L-shaped metal rod to bend for the new rail) is glue a thin lip cut from an empty soda can or somesuch to the underside of the rail.

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - February 02 2016 :  3:42:34 PM

Please explain how to make one from a soda can. Thanks

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 02 2016 :  6:53:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
This morning, I found some coupler boxes and trucks without couplers attached. I drilled a 5/64 hole in the metal bottom and attached the coupler boxes. Screwed in the trucks, put it on the track and checked the coupler height which was right on. All I need to find is the L shaped bottom rail, a door and stirrups .

Originally posted by thetramp - February 02 2016 :  11:34:49 AM

Looks like a great fix tramp! Probably better in the long run than mine.
The biggest downside to the way I did it was the minimal clearance between the top of the screw head on top of the coupler box and the chassis. So I used a nylon screw and filed the head down as much as I could, while still leaving enough material to hold the box on. Then I used some CA to reinforce it. Works fine. You can see on the bottom I simply cut off the excess length of screw.
Kind of a permanent installation, but not hard to remove if I have to since it's nylon, and not hard to replace either.

Edited by - JNXT 7707 on February 02 2016 6:55:17 PM

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 02 2016 :  7:41:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by thetramp - February 02 2016 :  11:34:49 AM

Looks like a great fix tramp! Probably better in the long run than mine.
The biggest downside to the way I did it was the minimal clearance between the top of the screw head on top of the coupler box and the chassis. So I used a nylon screw and filed the head down as much as I could, while still leaving enough material to hold the box on. Then I used some CA to reinforce it. Works fine. You can see on the bottom I simply cut off the excess length of screw.
Kind of a permanent installation, but not hard to remove if I have to since it's nylon, and not hard to replace either.

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - February 02 2016 :  6:53:08 PM

So the coupler box sits on top of the extended metal end that the coupler was originally on, correct?

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 02 2016 :  7:48:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - February 02 2016 :  3:42:34 PM

Please explain how to make one from a soda can. Thanks

Originally posted by thetramp - February 02 2016 :  5:42:07 PM

Well, all I'm talking about making from a soda can is a bottom for the bottom rail. All you'd need to do is cut a strip of the right length and width, and glue it to the underside of the rail at a right angle.

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 11 2016 :  5:33:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
A fellow TBer, thesiding, sent me a parts car with a door and the bottom rail. The rail was black so I painted the top rail on my car to match.

Edited by - thetramp on February 11 2016 6:55:18 PM

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 12 2016 :  06:38:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

So the coupler box sits on top of the extended metal end that the coupler was originally on, correct?

Originally posted by thetramp - February 02 2016 :  7:41:10 PM

Yes, sits right on top and is at the right height for knuckle couplers.

Good deal on the getting that bottom rail - looks great!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 12 2016 :  08:56:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Interesting thread, and a great looking vintage box car.
Nice work Tramp!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11197  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 12 2016 :  10:38:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Interesting thread, and a great looking vintage box car.
Nice work Tramp!

Originally posted by Chops124 - February 12 2016 :  08:56:00 AM

Yep, and I wouldn't change a thing, other than fix the stirrups. It has anaturally weathered look of wear that's so hard to create. Much better than brand new.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - February 12 2016 :  10:53:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
I also have a Monon Gondola for parts one end of the bin has been cut out

Will get pics up in a few days cause I am preping for NY Toy fair starting tommorrow
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Love those sellers Topic Next Topic: The Weather Outside ! ! !  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000