Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 37 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW December 6 - December 12, 2015
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW December 13 - December 19, 2015 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Nov. 22 - 28, 2015  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 06 2015 :  11:45:11 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
My LOTW for this week is an Airfix-made Mainline 00 gauge Class N2 tank engine from 1982.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 06 2015 :  11:50:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I do like. "Rule, Britannia! Rule the waves..." I wonder
what is the function of that big pipe is connecting to
smoke box.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 06 2015 :  12:32:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
it was to return steam back to water tank to try to get that extra bit of mileage ken
catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 06 2015 :  12:52:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ahhh, I typically think of steam being exhausted
up the stack to increase the draft on the fire,
a la Stephenson. I wonder how this worked.
Since steam blast up the pipe was/is such
a central aspect of external combustion,
did this return pipe thus capture only a
percentage of the exhaust steam?

Edited by - Chops124 on December 06 2015 10:22:33 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

a6m5zerosen
Little Six

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 06 2015 :  2:32:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add a6m5zerosen to Buddylist
Always wantd one of these when I was a kid...
[/URL]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 103  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 06 2015 :  6:48:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My Tyco New Haven E7 locomotive in Mc Ginnis paint.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - December 06 2015 :  7:51:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
My LOTW is a pair of Tenshodo brass basket cases that I scrounged for $20.00! I got the paint stripped off of the bad one and now it just gleams.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 07 2015 :  12:27:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ummm, the uploader thingy on the whosit does not work on the browser.
When I click on the "add image" font, it doesn't work, just sits there.

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 07 2015 :  1:08:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
click on the camera at the far right ken
catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 07 2015 :  2:43:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
click on the camera at the far right ken

Originally posted by catfordken - December 07 2015 :  1:08:11 PM

Oooph, I had a comma in the header.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 07 2015 :  2:47:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

After swearing on the Holy Trinity and the Mother of All Tyco Gods that I would
never, never buy another Tyco locomotive, I bought another Tyco Locomotive.
How could I resist? $5.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 07 2015 :  9:38:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Hey, Don't feel bad, Jeff... Most of mine are Tyco.... Love the colors on the NH Patrick & Frank!! Here's my Chessie 630 that recently pulled a few cars around one of my tracks. Had to take apart and oil because it run slowly with the familiar squeal as it went...
Edited by - walt on December 07 2015 9:53:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - December 07 2015 :  11:35:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
This is kind of a great scene here, a little misty, a little moody. the grainy quality of the photo makes it seem like the 70s....especially with the Vette at the crossing.
quote:
Hey, Don't feel bad, Jeff... Most of mine are Tyco.... Love the colors on the NH Patrick & Frank!! Here's my Chessie 630 that recently pulled a few cars around one of my tracks. Had to take apart and oil because it run slowly with the familiar squeal as it went...

Originally posted by walt - December 07 2015 :  9:38:20 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 08 2015 :  10:21:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW is a scratchbuilt/kitbash I picked up last night...

it is a brass & die cast PRR J1 class 2-10-4 or "Texas" type steam locomotive:

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 08 2015 :  9:00:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Diggin' this photo Walt with the Stingray waitin' at the crossing, and the lighting.

quote:

Originally posted by walt - December 07 2015 :  9:38:20 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 09 2015 :  12:43:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Well Thank You, Steven and Barry! I feel I am just getting started as I am getting the rails laid down now. I should have many nice areas for photos once I get more lights hooked up, and more detail around. Will eventually buy a nice camera (I'm using cell phone camera now) and I have one of the Hot Wheels camera video cars on hand. Thinking of ways of attach the video car to the slot cars and trains at times.
I can almost see it now....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 09 2015 :  05:58:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - December 08 2015 :  10:21:19 AM

Sean, very nice to see you again. That PRR J1 is a great find. It has the look of a early builders piece. Not mass produced. Looks like it could be a real workhorse of a locomotive. Those Texas types are big engines, and the Pennsy's were the best. I really like the looks of it. You got a real keeper there.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - December 09 2015 :  7:10:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
My LOTW is the UP cow and calf set that I finally managed to finish.

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 09 2015 :  10:25:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - December 08 2015 :  10:21:19 AM

Sean, very nice to see you again. That PRR J1 is a great find. It has the look of a early builders piece. Not mass produced. Looks like it could be a real workhorse of a locomotive. Those Texas types are big engines, and the Pennsy's were the best. I really like the looks of it. You got a real keeper there.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - December 09 2015 :  05:58:35 AM

Hi Frank!

Yeah... I have the same thoughts.. Probably dates pre-1960 or very close otherwise. It is not complete, so it fits right in with the other unfinished project locos I have collected.

Yeah... I been off all Summer playing with my Mustang! It has been fun! I barely touched my trains! Back at it though.. Now however, I am mass selling a lot of them...

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 10 2015 :  12:05:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That cow-calf looks amazing.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 10 2015 :  5:12:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thank you for the clarification. So steam is not
being recaptured, but the heat from the
smoke box is being used to preheat the water.

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - December 11 2015 :  05:32:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
[quote]Thank you for the clarification. So steam is not
being recaptured, but the heat from the
smoke box is being used to preheat the water.

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 10 2015 :  5:12:36 PM

this one recaptures exhaust steam and lead it to the tender where it gets cooled by big fans to turn into water again

Edited by - Erich on December 11 2015 05:34:07 AM
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - December 11 2015 :  05:57:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
I do like. "Rule, Britannia! Rule the waves..." I wonder
what is the function of that big pipe is connecting to
smoke box.

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 06 2015 :  11:50:53 AM

The problem with your question is you know but don't take the time to think about and realize the pipes function
* Putting cold water directly into a boiling hot boiler can damage the boiler. By taking water from the tender and preheating it in a coil within the smoke box where hot exhaust smoke and gasses pass through to the stack heats the water. This is a system of preheating feed water for the boiler. It also increases the efficiency of the boiler. This feedwater system, because it provides boiler efficiency, it also saves on the amount of coal used by the boiler. Additional heat exchangers know as supper heaters deliver preheated water at a increased temperature very close to the temperature of steam. This is necessary to have those locomotives that run strong and fast.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - December 10 2015 :  08:48:41 AM

The "feedwater heater" preheats the water - the "super heater" increases the heat of steam
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytrainz
Switcher

Posted - December 11 2015 :  5:51:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytrainz to Buddylist
Hello. I have been a member for a while now, but this is my first post. There has been some interesting talk about the pipes on the side of the N2 class of tank engine. But here is what they really do. These are to divert the used steam from the blast pipe into the side tanks to prevent the steam being released into tunnel sections of the line such as the Widened Lines from Kings Cross to Moorgate. This was operated from the cab so that the engine worked in a normal way most of the time. The down side was very poor operating when used as well as the water temperature in the side tanks becoming too hot for the injectors to work. There was the need to dump out the hot water sometimes and put in fresh cold water. Not all the N2 class were so fitted.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 6  ~  Member Since: March 02 2014  ~  Last Visit: June 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 11 2015 :  8:25:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well, this is a schooling for me. First I see a locomotive
tender with condenser fans, and then I am told all this
about diverting steam so as to not suffocate the crew
and passengers. The plot grows thicker by the hour!

Now, again, for those of us who weren't paying attention
in class, I thought that exhaust steam was routinely,
if not always, shot up the chimney to increase draft.
This was a feature that distinguished Stephenson's
Rocket over its competitors, and I thought, carried
forward for the next generations of steam locomotives.
I do appreciate all the conversation, it is most interesting.

I gather that the cab forwards were another solution to the
issue of tunnel smoke, but would not benefit passengers much.

Mytrainz: I am rather fond of the Queen's railroads,
do you recommend any modeling sites that serve
the average Joe, such as myself, such as the TF,
British Range?

Edited by - Chops124 on December 11 2015 8:46:16 PM
  Previous Topic: LOTW December 13 - December 19, 2015 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Nov. 22 - 28, 2015  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000