Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Introduce yourself.
 OLD AZZ New Guy!! (w/PICTURES!)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Here Topic Next Topic: What''s Old/New... Update Addition  

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - September 27 2015 :  06:18:48 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
Hi everyone!!
I'm Carmine. Half a Century old, and a passionate Model Railroader since 1969!!
I freelance my own Railroad, the Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale.
I've done every scale but S..... but HO is my mainstay. I'm an NMRA Member, a Moderator of several groups in the YouTube Model Builders, on Google+, and have had my articles on kitbashing and scratchbuilding published, once or twice.

I am 80% rivet counter, but am not completely anal. That's why I freelance - MY Railroad, MY rules!
I've heard about this forum for a few years, and even lurked a little. Got more impressed every time I lurked!!

To be completely honest - even as a kid, I saw TYCO as the "junk" that I couldn't wait to replace with anything better!!! Although, I do have my box of old Tyco, AHM, IHC, and even Lionel HO - which in the 70's - was CRAP!!!

HOWEVER, seeing some of the inspired and BRILLIANT work being done here, I HAD to get in on THIS!
And I even feel like I'm understating that.... There is some proper MAD Science going on here, and I'm dying to try some, and make these "cheap turd bin" trains into some of the truly special trains I've been seeing around here!!! I can honestly see my old Tycos be able to be in the same room with my Kato's, Atlas, Genesis' - and even my custom Athearn kitbashes!
I still have the first HO Scale locomotive, from my first non tinplate train set - an ALCo C-630, in the Bicentennial paint scheme! I've also got my SECOND, a Chessie ALCo.
AND, (don't remember the number), but a Tender Drive, Chattanooga Choo Choo - that RUNS (badly), and hasn't had traction tires for about 30 years!

I am excited to see what new tricks this old dog can learn!

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!

Edited by - pacbelt on September 27 2015 5:31:15 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator 

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - September 27 2015 :  06:32:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
...... I'm currently doing a contest build with a GSB SD40-3, Athearn chassis, Kato motor, and Atlas driveline....
I call her "Frankenstein"!!
Seeing what you guys are doing scratchbuilding tender frames, motor mounts, and one dude is working on a can motor drive for an ATHEARN HUSTLER???!!!??
OMG!!!! I gotta party with you guys!!!

I'm here humbly... and ready to open up the funky toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 27 2015 :  07:27:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
good day pacbelt and welcome,sure the guys will share any knowledge they can,and even more sure they will welcome your knowledge and enthusiasm,great site that welcomes all,rivet counters or not,enjoy ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 27 2015 :  08:31:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Good morning Carmine. Welcome to the Tyco Forum. I hope you enjoy your time spent here. It does seem that you have had a few irons in the fire, and from that made items of interest in HO scale. I have put my hand in and done some work on my trains. For me things just don't get dome anymore. I would be nice that if from time to time you show some photos of what you've done. I will be nice hearing from you.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - September 27 2015 :  4:41:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
quote:
good day pacbelt and welcome,sure the guys will share any knowledge they can,and even more sure they will welcome your knowledge and enthusiasm,great site that welcomes all,rivet counters or not,enjoy ken

Originally posted by catfordken - September 27 2015 :  07:27:01 AM

Thanks Ken. I do look forward to picking up the eclectic mix of talent around here!! I'm NEVER too old to learn!

BTW, I use the term "rivet counter" VERY loosely! I love well done, highly detailed, PLAUSIBLE models. In fact, "plausible" is the mantra of my modeling!!
I JUST DON'T CARE, if a B&O GP7 has two more louvers on the battery box door than a Uncle Pete Geep!!!
I DO care, that it looks like a fairly good model of a GP7 - sans GIANT gaping holes in the pilots, and handrails that look like sewer pipe!!!

I believe I've found a group of guys here who UNDERSTAND what this set of standards mean!

Thanks, Carmine

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - September 27 2015 :  5:00:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
quote:
** Good morning Carmine. Welcome to the Tyco Forum. I hope you enjoy your time spent here. It does seem that you have had a few irons in the fire, and from that made items of interest in HO scale. I have put my hand in and done some work on my trains. For me things just don't get dome anymore. I would be nice that if from time to time you show some photos of what you've done. I will be nice hearing from you.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - September 27 2015 :  08:31:06 AM

Thank you frank....
Indeed I do have a couple of irons on the fire!! Simultaneous projects, on the verge of confusing!
I will certainly post my work... it appears that members actually COMMENT on people's work around here.
I THRIVE on comments. So please - say what you want!

I will certainly post pics, SOON

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - September 27 2015 :  5:28:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
Here's a couple of examples of my humble work....
The Pacific Belt RR

Former blue box Athearn GP40-2

Athearn 50' PD box

LIFE-LIKE 50' Box (Doritos). An exercise in "train set" stuff, that can be taken to the club, and NOT snickered at!!!

Can't wait to share more!! Carmine

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 27 2015 :  11:58:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I has the Doritos boxcar in new condition
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 01 2015 :  3:09:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - September 27 2015 :  11:58:23 PM

I has the Tootsie Roll boxcar too, in the box, in new condition.
I picked them both up back in 1988....

Haven't decided yet, if I'm going to make the Tootsie Roll car "real" looking yet.
If I do, I'll post a step-by-step pictorial.

I'll take your post as a welcome to the Forum - so, THANKS!!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 01 2015 :  7:10:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - September 27 2015 :  11:58:23 PM

I has the Tootsie Roll boxcar too, in the box, in new condition.
I picked them both up back in 1988....

Haven't decided yet, if I'm going to make the Tootsie Roll car "real" looking yet.
If I do, I'll post a step-by-step pictorial.

I'll take your post as a welcome to the Forum - so, THANKS!!

Originally posted by pacbelt - October 01 2015 :  3:09:02 PM

oh yeah Welcome to our Forum too
I has LOTS of billboard/ads cars too
real & fake
Still looking for a few
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 01 2015 :  10:54:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Sounds like you're ready to hit the "fun" button with model trains! Yeah, we like'em different here. Perhaps your reference to the Athearn Hi-F Hustler with the can motor, that was mine with the dual shaft rubber band drive I like doing different stuff, and I need to get back on that project - it didnt have the weight on it when running it open chassis style, and it would jump off switches and derail. I think once I get a shell on it and the original weights, it should run and roll pretty well. One of MANY ideas ( and projects ) I have in my own personal fireplace.
Welcome to the fourm, and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Jerry in Virginia

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 02 2015 :  10:12:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
quote:
Sounds like you're ready to hit the "fun" button with model trains! Yeah, we like'em different here. Perhaps your reference to the Athearn Hi-F Hustler with the can motor, that was mine with the dual shaft rubber band drive I like doing different stuff, and I need to get back on that project - it didnt have the weight on it when running it open chassis style, and it would jump off switches and derail. I think once I get a shell on it and the original weights, it should run and roll pretty well. One of MANY ideas ( and projects ) I have in my own personal fireplace.
Welcome to the fourm, and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Jerry in Virginia

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - October 01 2015 :  10:54:16 PM

Thanx Jerry! I'm going to have FUN here!
I now want to get an old Hustler, just to mess with it! I'm still a proto-lanced modeler at heart...
I just never took it as seriously as the rivet counting crowd. I've got at LEAST 7 projects going on right now. I just finished a Walther's Caboose kit, that I scratchbuilt an interior for, and led lighting.
Then, a Kato SD38-2 kitbash....
Then a SD38P, crazy kitbash, starting with an Atlas/Roco SD35....
An Athearn BB U28B...
Three Bachmann Plus GP35s....
An IHC 2-6-0 Mogul - to keep me grounded....

ONE of these days, I may even get to work on my Layout too!

I'll be looking for your work also!

Previous Topic: New Here Topic Next Topic: What''s Old/New... Update Addition  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000