Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 What is the best DCC system for a large layout?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: What style to use for my streamliner 4-8-4 Topic Next Topic: Should Chops keep all this stuff?  

RAN
Switcher

Posted - September 07 2015 :  12:55:03 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RAN to Buddylist
If you had to buy a DCC system for a large layout or club layout, what would be your criteria and what system would you choose? Keep in mind there are a number of home layouts that can host more operators than many clubs can.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: July 30 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2018 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 07 2015 :  12:56:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Anything not by MRC!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 08 2015 :  12:26:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Anything not by MRC!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

trainman280
Little Six

trainman

Posted - October 01 2015 :  11:24:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add trainman280 to Buddylist
I use NCE power cab and I love it! :D If not NCE, MRC prodigy express would be my next choice.
If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 105  ~  Member Since: March 16 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 03 2015 :  01:19:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
I use a NCE Power Pro 5. OVER 5 amps of reserve power, for the biggest sound equipped
locos. Been extremely happy with it, and everyone finds it quite user friendly!!

Oh yeah - and anything NOT by MRC, and Digitrax!!
Sure, the older guys like Digitrax, but it's FAR from user-friendly....

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - January 28 2016 :  3:13:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
NCE is the way to go. Just make sure you get the booster pack. You can go up to 10 amps i believe whivh is more than plenty.
If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - January 28 2016 :  7:55:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
What about the Hornby e-Link?
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - January 29 2016 :  11:31:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - January 28 2016 :  7:55:55 PM

Honestly never even heard of it. Everyone I know swears by either the NCE or Digitrax.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - January 29 2016 :  11:32:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
Anything not by MRC!

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - September 08 2015 :  12:26:33 AM

Just like their powerpacks, MRC DCC systems are decent. Their decoders have a bad reputation though. I do have a few of them but for Sound, Tsunami is the way to go.

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - January 29 2016 :  12:18:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - January 28 2016 :  7:55:55 PM

Honestly never even heard of it. Everyone I know swears by either the NCE or Digitrax.

Originally posted by raysouthernpac - January 29 2016 :  11:31:15 AM

Well, Hornby is a British manufacturer, so it would have to be imported. The E-Link is a DCC controller that's operated by a program you install on a computer. I've seen it tested out - it has a huge amount of address possibilities and offers full control of the functions of various decoders.

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - January 29 2016 :  2:32:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
For a club I would go with NCE. The club could use the big 5 or 10 amp system. Since NCE is backwards comparable with their old and current other systems any member that has their own NCE cab can bring it. This cuts the club cost down as less equipment is needed. The cost is not passed to the member since they have the system anyways.

Also I like the customer service NCE has.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 21 2016 :  9:59:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Didn't Fleischman come out with a DCC at the
Nurenburg Train Show a few years back? It was
supposed to be so good that in their demo they
had the locomotive traveling over a sheet of
paper. I don't understand the electrophysics of
that, but so it was reported.

I used an MRC DCC system for a while. I am thinking
about blowing the dust off it and using it for the OO
layout, but am curious about the simplicity of the
Bachmann unit. Anyone got on opinion on Bachmann?

Over the years their head end power and rolling stock
has been hit-or-miss, in both British and English
models. Do they have some kind of lifetime warranty,
or was I dreaming that up?

Edited by - Chops124 on March 21 2016 10:02:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

yardmaster54
Big Six

Spirit of 76

Posted - March 31 2016 :  02:21:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send yardmaster54 a Yahoo! Message  Add yardmaster54 to Buddylist
quote:
Didn't Fleischman come out with a DCC at the
Nurenburg Train Show a few years back? It was
supposed to be so good that in their demo they
had the locomotive traveling over a sheet of
paper. I don't understand the electrophysics of
that, but so it was reported.

I used an MRC DCC system for a while. I am thinking
about blowing the dust off it and using it for the OO
layout, but am curious about the simplicity of the
Bachmann unit. Anyone got on opinion on Bachmann?

Over the years their head end power and rolling stock
has been hit-or-miss, in both British and English
models. Do they have some kind of lifetime warranty,
or was I dreaming that up?

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 21 2016 :  9:59:47 PM

A friend and I are just starting to build a layout. We were going to go DC but he convinced me to try DCC instead. We have a limited budget and was looking for something that was affordable and reliable too. After doing some research and checking out prices, we decided to go with the Bachmann EZ digital command control system. (DCC). It's fairly easy to operate and you can run up to 10 locos at once. 9 DCC and 1 DC.
They also have a 5 amp power booster and walk arounds. Granted you don't get all the bells and buzzers that you have with other systems but you do get whatever sounds the locomotive has installed, You just can't do like different horn sounds or bell sounds. My friend has a DCCS Broadway LTD Hudson 464 and we can do coupling,steam, brake squeal, chuffing and the light, whistle and bell. We laid down about 250ft of track to test out the system and had no problems at all. You can get good deals on eBay if your patient. We got a power booster, DCC controller and a DC controller together for $150.00. Watch for the combos where you can get a DCC controller and a DCC locomotive in one pack. You may hear that they are not durable. Just the other day I knock one off a table about 3ft high and thought it was toast. Hooked the wires back up and it worked fine. Sorry for rambling on so long and sounding like a commercial.I just want you to know that the Bachmann EZ digital command control system for the money is pretty dam good.

Yardmaster 54
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 277  ~  Member Since: October 01 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: What style to use for my streamliner 4-8-4 Topic Next Topic: Should Chops keep all this stuff?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000