Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 25 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Railroadiana
 Visit To The Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Black Hills Central Railroad . . . Topic Next Topic: The D&RGRR [UPRR] Ski Train Lives  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 22 2015 :  7:39:59 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
The reason I've been pretty much silent on the forums for a while is because I went on a trip and I went to the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad. Here are the pictures I took there.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 22 2015 :  10:18:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
coool
Wish I could get one of those RDCs
POTB is no more
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 22 2015 :  11:07:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
coool
Wish I could get one of those RDCs
POTB is no more

Originally posted by microbusss - July 22 2015 :  10:18:18 PM

I know they aren't. The OCSR bought the old line a few years after it closed down. Someday I'm actually thinking of turning an Athearn Blue Box GP unit into POTB #101 (the cow colored engine). Maybe even take an Athearn RDC and turn it into the Coast Explorer.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 23 2015 :  09:53:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I read they has plans to fix the whole line in the future!
Also POTB did scrap a few nice ex-BN locos
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 23 2015 :  12:16:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I read they has plans to fix the whole line in the future!
Also POTB did scrap a few nice ex-BN locos

Originally posted by microbusss - July 23 2015 :  09:53:31 AM

They did. I also heard about them reopening the line, too, I think. Oh, and one interesting thing about that picture of the shed. You see that engine on the right side of the camera? That is the last mallet type locomotive in existence; Deep River Logging #7 "Shookum", built in 1909. They're working on restoring it to running order. http://www.oregoncoastscenic.org/ocsr-roster/deep-river-logging-7-skooku.html

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on July 23 2015 12:19:11 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 23 2015 :  2:04:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
course I'd love to take a hand car on this line end to end

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 23 2015 :  5:21:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
course I'd love to take a hand car on this line end to end

Originally posted by microbusss - July 23 2015 :  2:04:09 PM

If you volunteered, maybe.

-Steve

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 23 2015 :  6:58:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
You see that engine on the right side of the camera? That is the last mallet type locomotive in existence; Deep River Logging #7 "Shookum", built in 1909.
Originally posted by kovacste000 - July 23 2015 :  12:16:50 PM

There's another. The Black Hills Central (https://www.1880train.com/) has a Mallet. It's an interesting engine to hear. There's a really steep grade where you expect the stack to bark like a rifle, but with the compound expansion, the stack talk is still a fairly soft chuff.

Here's a movie of the thing:
https://youtu.be/Zcr51iNsZkI

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on July 23 2015 7:04:55 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 24 2015 :  12:59:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
You see that engine on the right side of the camera? That is the last mallet type locomotive in existence; Deep River Logging #7 "Shookum", built in 1909.
Originally posted by kovacste000 - July 23 2015 :  12:16:50 PM

There's another. The Black Hills Central (https://www.1880train.com/) has a Mallet. It's an interesting engine to hear. There's a really steep grade where you expect the stack to bark like a rifle, but with the compound expansion, the stack talk is still a fairly soft chuff.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - July 23 2015 :  6:58:20 PM

Oh, correction. This is the last 2-4-4-2 left in existence, that's what it really is. It's not the last articulated engine like it, it's just the last of that exact wheel configuration. Here's a Wikipedia article on that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-4-4-2

-Steve

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 24 2015 :  1:01:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by scsshaggy - July 23 2015 :  6:58:20 PM

yup true & I live close to it & I haven't gone to sees it!
Also I think the BHC needs to update the crossings with gates & lights

I wouldn't mind having that GP loco in HO scale

Edited by - microbusss on July 24 2015 1:23:03 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 27 2015 :  09:26:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5983  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 27 2015 :  2:01:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by wks - July 27 2015 :  09:26:01 AM

Thank you, wks.Right off the bat, I might actually attempt to make that GP loco in H0. Just take an Athearn GP unit (blue box era), repaint the shell in those cow colors, put some custom yellow decals on there (I can get single lettering decals), and there you go.

-Steve

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 27 2015 :  6:21:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
the GP I wants in HO is the one on BHC hehe
May get pics from Hill City someday soon I hopes

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 26 2020 :  2:47:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Great that you posted photos of this railroad Stephen.
Another west coast railroad treasure that is too far for us.

Some videos found on the internet.

Not my videos. Great to see other railfans share their treasures with us.

Edited by - wks on February 26 2020 2:56:54 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5983  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 26 2020 :  3:45:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
One thing I found about this railroad as of recently is they finished restoring that locomotive that was in the shed I took a picture of. Here's the picture in case anyone is wondering.

The engine's name is "Skookum", and it's a 2-4-4-2 logging locomotive. They recently took it out for a test run before they apparently sent it to a man by the name of Chris Baldo in California. Here's a video of that loco running. So glad they finally got it running! When I was there, the tender was still cut off from the rest of the railway due to a flood that occurred that cut off access to the shed a little bit earlier.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on February 26 2020 3:47:05 PM
  Previous Topic: Black Hills Central Railroad . . . Topic Next Topic: The D&RGRR [UPRR] Ski Train Lives  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000