Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Events
 Never mind
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Railfest 2015 Topic Next Topic: UPDATE Railfest, Manassas VA June 5-7 - N&W J 611  

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - July 12 2015 :  3:25:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Yeah, that was a bad idea.
--CRC
Edited by - PRR 4800 on July 13 2015 6:13:10 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 12 2015 :  8:06:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I haven't totally abandoned ship yet, will still visit here for HOSeeker.net and other uses, but I must say the layout at the new site is awesome. And additional new forums for larger scale and other modeling interests ( Traction, Trolleys, etc. ) is definitely what I"m looking for, too. So at come over and test it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Jerry, still in VA, and now at the new TycoDepot

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - July 12 2015 :  11:01:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I'm trying my best to stay neutral and enjoy both sites while they last. My joining the new site was motivated in a large part by fear of losing touch if this one went down, not as much a dislike of this site. Also, why not? If one forum is good, two is better. I only knew of a little bit of the "drama" that many are talking about. In my opinion, and many people I like and respect disagree, there's too much good on here to abandon it. Yes there are issues, but for the time being I'm staying. However, the "new site" is off to an exciting start and I'm happy to participate there as well. If it becomes the only site, so be it. I'll enjoy whatever is available to me while I can.

In an ideal world, which this is not, I'd like to see this site go back to what it was when I first joined. There was more activity in building, working, modeling, operating and experimenting. Lately it seems like we just show off our prizes. I'm guilty too. I haven't been on here in a while because I don't even have a running layout, so all I do is show stuff. Perhaps some of that spirit was lost due to the issues people are talking about? I don't know. I do know that I am certainly guilty of being overly dramatic about issues that don't even pertain to this forum, mostly political and social ideologies. I have this bad habit of picking up every gauntlet that is thrown. There have been a few members on here that I crossed threads with more than once. In hindsight, that hurt the forum.

I wish that this forum and the new forum could recapture some of what was lost, but I wonder if that can actually happen? Seems like the members are younger and younger. That's not a bad thing at all, but if they become the majority you lose the experience of the old timers with that. I know from this site and reading that the hobby was once very different than the prepackaged ready-to-run world that those of us under 40 know.

As usual, I'm pointing out things I don't know how to fix. Just thinking out loud.

Edited by - burlington77 on July 12 2015 11:03:43 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 13 2015 :  07:50:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i agree burlington77,i love this site, lots of fond memories,the other site is a great addition,but will never replace this one for me,both should learn to live together,and see no reason why it cant,just my humble opinion,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 13 2015 :  08:15:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Well said, Ken. That's a classy response to a message that could stand some more class.

I don't think I would ever use a forum's space to tell everyone to leave it. That's just not kosher. I would guess that, if someone did that to tycodepot, the response of the guy who did it here would have been less measured than yours.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

richard p
Little Six

Posted - July 13 2015 :  2:00:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
Ditto - Ken and Don. This site is not just another model railroading site but also a historical repository for Tyco and Mantua. As far as I can tell, the only one of its kind. I cannot see abandoning it.
rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 13 2015 :  2:32:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
In retrospect it's all kind of funny (in a gallows humor sort of way).
1) We got spammed.
2) While Chops and Ben (may they live to be 100) were happily posting away, others were declaring the end of the forum and demanding that the moderator drop everything and fix it immediately if not sooner.
3) The moderator froze the site for a couple of days and reopened it with spam and spammers removed (as requested).
4) During those days, no one choked to death on Spam (literally or figuratively).
5) Also during those days, a vocal few declared the site dead and vilified the moderator, while he was doing what they asked, blaming him for the death of the site (which isn't dead).

While I sometimes think I quote Mark Twain way too much, I shall do so again on behalf of this forum: "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 13 2015 :  2:44:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
well said scsshaggy,2 ships with enough room for all,ken
Edited by - catfordken on July 13 2015 2:47:27 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 13 2015 :  2:50:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah I hope to live to 2077 or 2080 at least
but anyway both sites are nice but ill post more on the other site anyway
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 13 2015 :  4:32:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I'll still come here on occasions such as OTW's and updating posts I've made over time (Switching Layout thread). Other than that, I will mostly be found on the other site.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 13 2015 :  5:08:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
regardless of all the problems of this site over the past few days,i will stand by it,its to good to lose,ken
ps we all say and do things we regret,its time this was laid to bed

Edited by - catfordken on July 13 2015 5:13:59 PM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 13 2015 :  6:00:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
This is the ONLY forum I have ever used for anything and it will remain that way. I have enjoyed most of the members on here for years.

When spam arrives in my email, I delete it. When they call on the phone, I hang up on them. When it shows up on the forum, I IGNORE it! I'm not going to panic or go on overload because some spam shows up somewhere... It's really not that big of deal.

I have talked to Todd (NYC) a few times I believe mostly from an ebay sale or two. Todd was always very professional and kind to me so I have nothing bad to say about him. As far as Todd not wanting to "baby sit" the forum, I understand that too.

Todd offers this forum FREE of charge. So what is there to complain about?

As for you, gmoney. I feel no different about you now after blowing up on the thread. I believe you are an asset to the forum.

As for using this forum to promote the other forum, I kind of feel that's tasteless...

As for myself, I use the forum purely for fun. I have no good info to offer anyone, and I am not on here to learn much. My layout is just what I wanted to build to relive my childhood smaller 4X8. It's not going to be anything great, and will not reach a high level of realism. It's basically what I would have built in 1974 had I had room, and the coins!

The previous message is only my opinion, I could be wrong...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - July 13 2015 :  7:02:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
In retrospect it's all kind of funny (in a gallows humor sort of way).
1) We got spammed.
2) While Chops and Ben (may they live to be 100) were happily posting away, others were declaring the end of the forum and demanding that the moderator drop everything and fix it immediately if not sooner.
3) The moderator froze the site for a couple of days and reopened it with spam and spammers removed (as requested).
4) During those days, no one choked to death on Spam (literally or figuratively).
5) Also during those days, a vocal few declared the site dead and vilified the moderator, while he was doing what they asked, blaming him for the death of the site (which isn't dead).

While I sometimes think I quote Mark Twain way too much, I shall do so again on behalf of this forum: "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

Originally posted by scsshaggy - July 13 2015 :  2:32:29 PM

Methinks you have quite a selective memory. I could refresh your memory sschaggy, in fact I just wrote a few paragraphs which did so nicely - but what would be the point?
On the other hand, silence is another way of acceptance.

So...
Do you do recall the incident where Todd proclaimed this place as "sold to someone not associated with the forum"? And furthermore, never, ever to contact him again in any way?
Is that in your above history list?
And the part where we were "sniveling crybabies/etc."? Didn't make your cut either?
And the reopening of the threads without a single word of explanation?

Does this place mean that much to you (and it is just a place, and a virtual one at that) that you can accept behavior like that?

No, I don't get it and doubt that I will. I loved this place too, but dang it....not at this kind of cost. And all of what I have mentioned doesn't even begin to address the stalking issues that Tony had. What was the consensus there, "not my problem, let them work it out"? Remember that whole sordid mess, and where was a Moderator, where was an Admin to take control?

2-week vacation?

Are you allowed to contact the Admin now? Or only if things get REAL SERIOUS? (which is....when exactly?)

And all this is OK because it's FREE?

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 13 2015 :  7:25:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Methinks you have the sense of humor of a grumpy snail.
Seen in a certain way, this whole thing was funny. That's what I was pointing out.

Now, in answer to your scolding:
When a baby drops a toy from a high chair, he screams bloody murder until the adults all drop everything (fire fighting, CPR, whatever) and retrieve that cosmically important toy. I'd like to think we fine tune our sense of perspective as we age beyond high chairs.

Neither Tyco forum is going to pay the bills, save your life or get you to Heaven. The forum is essentially a toy. If some spammers cut loose for a little while, no one was hurt. If it took a couple of weeks to get around to fixing it, we still had a functioning forum, but what if we did not? Life would go on.

I've seen a lot of self-absorbed people licking their wounds because Todd said something that wasn't nice to them. I've also seen those same people saying vicious things about him, and what did he do? He fixed the site and kept it going. He did not censor nor lock out his detractors.

It's not that I don't know or don't remember the grievances listed against him. I just have seen, in this whole situation, the evidence that he does not grow devil horns at night, and I've seen the soiled halos on the heads of those who expect oh-so-much from a free service whose provider they berate and malign in the expectation of winning his favor.

Carpe Manana!

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 13 2015 :  7:27:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i suggest those who were really upset the other night,switch this channel off and leave those of us who are happy with it,to carry on enjoying it,nothing is to be gained by going on about words most likely said in the heat of the moment,i was always told sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me,ken

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - July 13 2015 :  9:27:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Now "Grumpy Snail" is funny. Have been called a grouch before, but that's a new one.

ken is right, it is definitely the heat of the moment for sure. No point to pursuing this further. Carry on.

http://tycodepot.com/
Edited by - JNXT 7707 on July 13 2015 9:28:44 PM
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Railfest 2015 Topic Next Topic: UPDATE Railfest, Manassas VA June 5-7 - N&W J 611  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000