Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 42 ]  [ Total: 42 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Mantua Metal Products Gondola . . .
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Great Deal on  a Mikado! Topic Next Topic: 0-4-0 and Little 6 Valve Gear  

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 24 2015 :  7:26:02 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
My continued efforts to build a Colorado Midland Railway train based on era and design inappropriate Mantua Metal Products equipment . . . but I like these old cars. I try not to mess with these 'toy train' models, too much. The only thing I did on this one, was to drill individual grab iron holes in place of the side ladders. I could probably be happier with that part if I'd gotten some store bought grab irons . . . "next time". Anyway, here's a couple of photos. First one is playing with a couple of different side options with crummy lighting. Then a shot of the Colorado Midland gondola with a stock Mantua Metal Erie gondola . . . for comparison sake while scrutinizing the effectiveness of the Colorado Midland side. Then a couple more to see how the gondola works with the entire Colorado Midland train . . .

I guess my present assessment of this effort is that this works from certain views, but in other views, the lack of side ribs or some similar relief hurts the believability. This is one of those deals, for me, that I'll have to run that car around the track a couple hours to figure out what to do.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator 

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - June 24 2015 :  8:19:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

I guess my present assessment of this effort is that this works from certain views, but in other views, the lack of side ribs or some similar relief hurts the believability. This is one of those deals, for me, that I'll have to run that car around the track a couple hours to figure out what to do.

Originally posted by Barry - June 24 2015 :  7:26:02 PM

I agree with your assessment Barry. Like you say, it works from certain angles but the lack of dimensional ribs hurts a little. Of course also keep in mind that you are focusing on it. Would it bug you if you were just watching the train, unaware the ribs were only printed on?
I'd be tempted to use some wood or plastic strips....

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 24 2015 :  10:10:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
If we have any Photoshop geniuses in the forum, it would be neat to know if there's a handy way to widen the ribs in the picture so that they could be embossed outward and so look better at a shallow angle.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 25 2015 :  12:31:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
You know Don, Jerry, I think there are ways that even a novice like myself could redraw those ribs (even in the "Paint" program that comes with Windows; I colored this particular side in Picasa using the "duotone" tool, and added the logo and lettering in "Paint"). I think I could add on ribs to be believable using some tools to make sure they're lined up right . . . because it sure will show if they aren't. I have to think about that a bit. For my taste it would have to be real subtle so you'd still get the idea you were looking at a Mantua Metal car. If that makes any sort of sense. For that matter, I do have a couple sets of Mantua car sides that I could paint over. That, however, would put me in the very scary position of adding decals! Eeeek.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Great Deal on  a Mikado! Topic Next Topic: 0-4-0 and Little 6 Valve Gear  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000