Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 6 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Question about Tyco 4-6-2 Pacific
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua steam power, rarely seen/talked about Topic Next Topic: Tyco Super Spirit of 76  

dastumer
Switcher

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 11 2015 :  6:07:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add dastumer to Buddylist
Does anyone know what size the screw is that holds on the pilot on a tyco 4-6-2? I recently obtained one in a used lot, and it is missing the pilot screw. The pilot was being held on by the grab wires! So, do you know what size the screw is so I can get a replacement, or an alternative to holding on the pilot? Thanks in advance!
-Peter
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 97  ~  Member Since: June 11 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 11 2015 :  7:56:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
1/4" 2-56 screw
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

dastumer
Switcher

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 11 2015 :  9:00:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dastumer to Buddylist
Thanks, that helps a lot!
-Peter
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 97  ~  Member Since: June 11 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

richard p
Little Six

Posted - June 13 2015 :  1:55:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
1/4 " seems long. I looked up a red box Pacific and it shows 3/16".
rich p
Edited by - richard p on June 13 2015 1:59:13 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

dastumer
Switcher

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 13 2015 :  2:17:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dastumer to Buddylist
I can always cut the screw if it is too long, but I will look for a shorter one if they are avaliable. Thanks for letting me know!
-Peter
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 97  ~  Member Since: June 11 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 13 2015 :  7:06:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Mine had a 1/4" screw in that spot. It looked like there was room above the screw for an even longer one, if need be. It also looked like a shorter one (like 3/16) would do the trick. As many times as mine has been apart, there's no guarantee that the screw in it now is the original one.

By the way, most screws in Mantua steam engines are 2-56 by some length or another, so if you'll be tinkering with many such engines you might want to keep an eye open for a good price and get yourself a supply of 2-56 screws. I'm always using them for something.

Kadee sells them mail order and you can get them in stainless steel or acetyl plastic. Unfortunately, Kadee uses some pretty expensive shipping, so you may want to gang up orders of Kadee stuff to get more out of a shipping charge.

The plastic screws are nowhere near as strong as the steel ones, but they're useful if you need to fasten something down without conducting electricity.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

dastumer
Switcher

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 13 2015 :  9:38:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dastumer to Buddylist
1/4" worked just fine. Hardware store that I stopped by at didn't carry 3/16" ones. They seem to have a good selection on small screws, so I'll be going there in the future. The staff is also much friendlier than at my LHS
-Peter
  Previous Topic: Mantua steam power, rarely seen/talked about Topic Next Topic: Tyco Super Spirit of 76  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000