Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Why I'm Building Cat Guards...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My current layout Topic Next Topic: For the Die- Hard Tyconauts  

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - April 15 2007 :  12:01:00 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Went out for a cup of coffee this morning and returned to the Train Room to find one of our cats Sandy had decided the corner of the layout was a good spot to hang out...

Again proof of why this new layout will soon include Car Guards to protect it from such invasions!

[:D]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator 

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - April 15 2007 :  12:20:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
I have have cats too, normally they just take turns hanging out guarding (but never disturbing) my Lionel set that I place around the Christmas Tree - but I have a fiance who thinks it's amusing to let hamsters waddle down my HO Layout's mainline though. [:D]
I like caffeine and a chainsaw ...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 141  ~  Member Since: January 06 2007  ~  Last Visit: February 05 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - April 15 2007 :  12:50:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
She looks relaxed on that corner of your layout. Maybe you should have named her Chessie. You should put her name on a chessie boxcar just for her---Brian
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 15 2007 :  2:39:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Aww...she looks so happy...unlike my cat. He knocks train cars, trees and people over. How are you going to build the cat guards? I have my trains on a bar thats atleast 4ft off the floor, and my cat still gets up there.[B)]

-cheez

Edited by - DaCheez on April 15 2007 2:40:16 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - April 15 2007 :  2:45:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
... for a moment, there... I visualized the Spinx in Egypt... hmmm...

just counting rivots..."will soon include Car Guards to protect it ..."

[;)]

Sandy's Mountain... nice place for some structural earth, perhaps?

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - April 15 2007 :  8:35:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Can you say "Cat Sui Gai" with Rice of course![:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

-Gareth
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - April 15 2007 :  8:40:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Aww... I daresay that's the happiest cat I've ever seen! Brian is right - he needs to be honored somehow...

I miss my old cat though... he would walk across the layout AND NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. It was amazing to see. Still, I sympathize with your concerns... the other cat bastard we got was not so genteel.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - April 15 2007 :  9:02:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Is that a coupler I see hangin' out the corner of its mouth?
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - April 18 2007 :  09:15:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Tony,

I am sure you've seen these before. But for others who may not have, cats have caused problems on layouts. Sorry it is rather large!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - April 18 2007 :  10:58:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
I ran across some of those old 'Norman' cat cartoons not long ago in one of the magazines...classic stuff.

[:D]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Steel Hauler
Switcher

Steel Hauler

Posted - April 19 2007 :  09:45:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Steel Hauler to Buddylist
Great pic! My daughter has 3 cats and they loved the ICG railway underneath our Christmas tree this past year, particularly the Purina car. Go figure.

Love the 'Norman" cartoons. The 'kitty litter for ballast' is the best one.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 38  ~  Member Since: November 19 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 19 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - April 19 2007 :  10:59:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
quote:

Love the 'Norman" cartoons. The 'kitty litter for ballast' is the best one.

Originally posted by Steel Hauler - April 19 2007 :  09:45:19 AM

I've read guys posting and discussing actually using Cat Litter as ballast...apparently NO JOKE.

From my experience, Cat Litter would not make a very ideal ballast material. At least the brands we buy is clumping and generally features a deodorant of some kind. I would think your whole layout would begin to smell funny...and if you have cats like we do...you might need to buy a snowplow to clean the right of way after they discover the litter and USE IT.

[XX(]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

Edited by - Tony Cook on April 19 2007 11:01:48 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - April 20 2007 :  3:05:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
I have used kitty litter with great success on my 1/35 scale armour dioramas. You just have to use the non-clumping, non-super absorbant, non-scented cheap stuff. It seems to be just medium grey clay that has been ground up. It would look OK as ballast. Not sure if it would contain any iron particles though. Quite a bit cheaper then Woodland Scenics stuff!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 04 2020 :  11:46:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
Went out for a cup of coffee this morning and returned to the Train Room to find one of our cats Sandy had decided the corner of the layout was a good spot to hang out...

Again proof of why this new layout will soon include Car Guards to protect it from such invasions!

Classic photo Tony.

Originally posted by Tony Cook - April 15 2007 :  12:01:00 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5871  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 04 2020 :  10:24:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
post moar Norman comics!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 05 2020 :  09:34:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
post moar Norman comics!

Originally posted by microbusss - July 04 2020 :  10:24:12 PM

Yes, that one was funny! I have heard about the kitty litter ballast idea! Sandy looks very happy on the corner of the layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - July 05 2020 :  11:59:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
I think those are the obly ones MR did or if they are more did not last long

My first cat LOVED the Train layout He' watch from the basement window He would sit on the basemant steps and watch it After I finished went upstairs the cat just stared at me so went down ran the train for five more minutes then he went upstairs Not sure if he prefered steam or diesel Any rate both are long gone

That is till 1999 another story for another time
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: My current layout Topic Next Topic: For the Die- Hard Tyconauts  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000