Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 3 ]  [ Total: 3 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 upcoming NC train shops review
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: DOTW - May 10 to May 16, any diecast vehicles Topic Next Topic: Did ya know?  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 09 2015 :  6:58:42 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I've been in Wilmington NC for the past two days, working on my 2nd housemester getting it ready to sell. On the way from the DC area, I hit 3 train shops, one in VA, and 2 in NC, one in Wilson NC and the other just west of Fayettesville, NC. The Wilson train shop was a 4-STAR place for being in a barn shop!!! Pretty awesome, lots of HO, N, and some G and O gauge. Not gonna type much more on my smartphone. Got pics, too! Anyway, all for now.

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 11 2015 :  1:54:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Ok, got home, and processed some pictures, so on to the reviews!

On my way south, my first stop was Walt's Train shop, a little hole-in-the-wall below Petersburg, VA, exit 43 off I-95 I believe. Anyway, he has some modern engines and stock, plus some limited vintage, I bought half an Athearn passenger car ( the bottom half ), intend to make it into an open Excursion car. Trucks are there, just no top/shell. And I'll have to get an interior for it. Also bought some used '80's and 90's train mags for $1 each. I'd been to this store before, not much there but still worth a pass-through sometimes.

The next stop was about 3 hours down the road, in Wilson, NC, exit 119 of I-95 south on I-795 bypass, then exit 42 to Wilson about 4 miles down I-795. Called The Antique Barn and Hobby shop, the place is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. On the outskirts of Wilson, I would never have thought this nice a train shop with this much stock would be there. I don't know how I missed finding it before in my hobby shop searches, but it was worth the visit! Wow. Here's some pictures from inside and out.

The cat was fun, she totally wanted to jump on my shoulders, and lick my hair, she rode around on me for one aisle anyway.

N gauge stuff :

Guy had some nice N gauge stuff, look for LOTW / Microbuss teaser tonight!

HO gauge stuff :

Had some nice ( and expensive! ) HO stuff there, nothing I really needed.

Some Model Power buildings :

I should have bought that burning IRS building...they had two of the kits.

Here's some pictures of the aisles, to give you an idea of how big this place is, 3 aisles wide :

Pretty decent sized place, for being way off the beaten path. Rent is probably cheap, though. A few more misc. pics :

I spent a few bucks there couldn't pass up some of the stuff they had. I'll be back again I"m sure.

Next down the line was Hayes Hobby west of Fayettesville, NC. A small shop, it still had two small layouts, O and HO, and quite a few detailing parts. I found some N gauge and HO gauge truck mounting pins, those are hard to find stocked anywhere! He also had a "cab forward" metal molded piece, for $6.95 I wanted to build a Varney 0-4-0 Cab Forward engine. I'll see how it fits. Here's a few pics of the place , inside and out.

Well, a decent place too, just small. If you are looking for some detailing pieces, he ha s some decent stuff. Hope you enjoyed the review!

Jerry in VA ( and NC briefly )

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 11 2015 :  4:21:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, great photos. I thought that most train shops
were pretty much dried up or out of business these
days. The shops I've seen in Denver, Dallas, Ft. Worth,
and San Antonio are not nearly as comprehensive.
Lovely cat.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 11 2015 :  7:45:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
great photos
There are a few MP building I'd of wanted
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 11 2015 :  8:02:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Here's a bit of the stuff I got at the shops.

Jerry

I did get way more small parts than this, and some N gauge stock, but didn't get pics of those yet. :)

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: DOTW - May 10 to May 16, any diecast vehicles Topic Next Topic: Did ya know?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000