Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 The Miniature World of Trains Museum
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: what goes around,comes around Topic Next Topic: Longest HO Train Video  

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 28 2015 :  02:06:55 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
The family and I made a trip to Greenville, SC about a month ago, and one of the things we did was visit the Miniature World of Trains Museum.

If I remember correctly, we were there on the one year anniversary of their HO scale layout. Here are some pics of that layout:

Greenville/Spartanburg in the 1950s

Sherwin Williams and Western Auto

The Spencer, NC roundhouse and back shop

Saluda grade, the steepest standard-gauge mainline railway grade in the United States, now out of service

A zombie!

Various train action

And quite surprising to me, they weren't "above" (sarcasm, in case it isn't obvious!) having some Tyco on the layout for the whole world to see!

A few select items from the display cases

And a pretty cool large scale steamer

And here is something I've never seen before at a model train museum, and I think it's a great idea - scavenger hunts!

To really engage the general public, many of whom I'm sure are not familiar with the hobby, the museum provides three different lists of items for the guests to search for on the layout. This increases the museum's "fun factor" and encourages the guests to get much more involved with the layout than they would otherwise. (This explains the zombie's presence!) This seemed to be very well received, because I saw quite a few people intently searching for the various items.

Here's one of the scavenger hunts. As you can see, the museum offers a prize, too!

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator 

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 28 2015 :  08:19:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* That was a nice tour of the Museum layout. I like the use of the Walters cornerstone brick corner building as the Davenport clothing shop.
* More interesting to me is the park across the street, and that old fashion wooden bandstand. I have seen the kit and should have gotten it when it price was about $25. Now for me it skyrocketed into the realms of imposable pricing.
* Another diorama Ide like to make for my 1885 layout is a Old fashion riverfront picnic park between the mainline and the Lehigh River. On a Island close to the shore giving separation from the sounds of the trains. With Bandstand and a small grassy area along side it for a family to spread out their picnic blanket, sit and enjoy the music, and view the well dressed couples dancing under to shaded canopy of the large bandstand. A Ferris wheel providing a place for these couples to ride to the heights above the river, taking their turn stopping privately at the very top for that moment alone together. Walkways winding through trees and along the river, with small bridges going over bubbling brooks, where the young couples can slowly stroll, arm in arm in their finest as younger teenagers discreetly follow them, giggling, to see just what it is they might do. The park would stretch along the river front with the flowing water providing a cool and comfortable natural setting .
* Anyone who has followed my writing here and at other sites would know that It is Laury's Station I have described. It was a real place about 2 miles up river from Allentown. The railroad is gone. The park too. No trespassing signs now block you access to Laury's Island. The only thing that remains is 2 buildings east of the station location. One the brick home of David Laury. The other a brick twin townhouse with the lower floor of one the original Laury store. The very quant British style station is long gone. All else that remains is the ruins of the old Mill that David owned and ran. A rail trail now exists where the main line of the Lehigh Valley was. A old LVRR concrete phone both can be found north of the station along the trail. That and many telephone poles used by the railroad for communication. It is a nice place to walk or bike ride as photos I have put on line do show. I'll find a link to them and put it here also.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on April 28 2015 09:06:20 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - April 28 2015 :  11:09:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Some layouts open to public have scavenger hunts
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 28 2015 :  4:44:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Frank, that was a nice tour of Laury's Station too! While I was reading, I was there! And it made me think of scenes from "The Music Man."

And I'm glad to hear other layouts have scavenger hunts, although this is the first one I have seen.

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 28 2015 :  6:38:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I actually made a scavenger hunt thingie for one of my model railroad projects a while back, believe it or not. Very cool layout.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 28 2015 :  7:42:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
When I had my layout "on tour", we would print off scavenger hunt handouts for the kids. It was fascinating to see the ones who weren't all that interested in trains suddenly light up with great interest when "on the hunt" for the little details that had to be searched for!
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 30 2015 :  12:39:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That was great. I was wondering if they'd let me run
my Tyco on that thing, as a deathbed wish or something.
Guess they beat us to the punch.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 15 2021 :  8:25:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
The family and I made a trip to Greenville, SC about a month ago, and one of the things we did was visit the Miniature World of Trains Museum.

If I remember correctly, we were there on the one year anniversary of their HO scale layout. Here are some pics of that layout:

Greenville/Spartanburg in the 1950s

Sherwin Williams and Western Auto

The Spencer, NC roundhouse and back shop

Saluda grade, the steepest standard-gauge mainline railway grade in the United States, now out of service

A zombie!

Various train action

And quite surprising to me, they weren't "above" (sarcasm, in case it isn't obvious!) having some Tyco on the layout for the whole world to see!

A few select items from the display cases

And a pretty cool large scale steamer

And here is something I've never seen before at a model train museum, and I think it's a great idea - scavenger hunts!

To really engage the general public, many of whom I'm sure are not familiar with the hobby, the museum provides three different lists of items for the guests to search for on the layout. This increases the museum's "fun factor" and encourages the guests to get much more involved with the layout than they would otherwise. (This explains the zombie's presence!) This seemed to be very well received, because I saw quite a few people intently searching for the various items.

Here's one of the scavenger hunts. As you can see, the museum offers a prize, too!

Originally posted by gmoney - April 28 2015 :  02:06:55 AM

Nice place to visit.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 15 2021 :  8:34:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

It appears to be closed. Might relocate nearby.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 15 2021 :  8:43:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Interesting layout.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 15 2021 :  10:24:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I cannot imagine trying to move any of this.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 12 2023 :  4:28:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Looks like they are expanding the layouts. Open in 2024 perhaps.

http://www.miniatureworldoftrains.com/

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 12 2023 :  4:39:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

They plan to copy some ideas from other layouts around the world.

Very ambitious plan.

Previous Topic: what goes around,comes around Topic Next Topic: Longest HO Train Video  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000