Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 35 ]  [ Total: 35 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Accessory of the week. (AOTW)
 AOTW - April 26 to May 2, 2015
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: AOTW May 3 - May 9, 2015 Topic Next Topic: AOTW April 19 - April 25, 2015  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - April 26 2015 :  09:06:39 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
More pieces from the Thursday lot buy, I can use a few of these for HO pieces. The larger Lesney car is obviously too big, but the rest are pretty much HO sized. Overall, a nice little group of usable stuff. The trailer is by Tootsietoy, never seen one this small before. The Mustang Boss is a Monogram car, I think they came out in the early 2000's, I have a few others like it somewhere.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 26 2015 :  11:59:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I love Lesney cars, man. Just something about those old Matchbox cars.So yeah, my AOTW is a bunch of old switching machines.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - April 26 2015 :  2:43:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
I like that Mustang. I wish I had picked up those Monogram cars when they were readily available. My accessory of the week started out as a key chain. He's GORT from 'When the Earth Stood Still' He's now serving as a 'Tin Man' for the Fox Valley Texaco. A little over sized, but he was only a buck.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 26 2015 :  6:03:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hehe I has the Robot from Iron Giant
It originally came with the VHS tape

Here he is

Would like to find more of this robot or row-butt as some say

Edited by - microbusss on April 26 2015 7:00:35 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 26 2015 :  10:03:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
That thing would actually be quite scale if you used it on like N scale.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - April 26 2015 :  10:12:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I'm liking the robots guys! I like the Iron Giant even as a adult!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 26 2015 :  11:39:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Nice! "The Iron Giant" was a fun movie. The giant robot even causes a train derailment at one point in the movie; it was pulled by a N&W J-class steam locomotive, driven by caricatures of veteran Disney animators Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston (both of whom were real-life train buffs), and all they got from the wreck was a big bump on the head!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 27 2015 :  10:41:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Nice! "The Iron Giant" was a fun movie. The giant robot even causes a train derailment at one point in the movie; it was pulled by a N&W J-class steam locomotive, driven by caricatures of veteran Disney animators Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston (both of whom were real-life train buffs), and all they got from the wreck was a big bump on the head!

Originally posted by wiley209 - April 26 2015 :  11:39:41 PM

yeah & they both were in The Incredibles too
One of them died before the premiere of that movie too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 27 2015 :  11:22:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
GORT from 'When the Earth Stood Still' He's now serving as a 'Tin Man' for the Fox Valley Texaco.
Originally posted by Gary B - April 26 2015 :  2:43:41 PM

I like that use of the tin man. I call that kind of signage "Route 66 Kitsch" after all of the similar works that adorned that highway in its golden age. It adds a flair of individual color to a roadside business.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2354  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - April 27 2015 :  2:29:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
[/quote]
I like that use of the tin man. I call that kind of signage "Route 66 Kitsch" after all of the similar works that adorned that highway in its golden age. It adds a flair of individual color to a roadside business.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - April 27 2015 :  11:22:30 AM

[/quote]

That's exactly what I'm aiming for. Someone on another forum referred to my layout as a collection of Americana. I never planned it that way but I see what he means. Since he said that, I've been making it more so.

Master Of Plasticville
Edited by - Gary B on April 27 2015 2:30:25 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 27 2015 :  4:14:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I drilled some holes and planted a few trees ...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 27 2015 :  8:20:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Those trees look fabulous and four lanes no less!
I like the trademark street light poking in on the
left. Great bill board, too.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 27 2015 :  8:22:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
More pieces from the Thursday lot buy, I can use a few of these for HO pieces. The larger Lesney car is obviously too big, but the rest are pretty much HO sized. Overall, a nice little group of usable stuff. The trailer is by Tootsietoy, never seen one this small before. The Mustang Boss is a Monogram car, I think they came out in the early 2000's, I have a few others like it somewhere.

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - April 26 2015 :  09:06:39 AM

These cars are nifty. That blue one appears to be a Ford Galaxy. My old man had one
back in the day, such a capacious ride compared to the econobox I own. One thing: the
dip stick was about an inch short, so it was always running low on oil, which doomed
it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 27 2015 :  10:13:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
& I think that red truck which is missing a green bed is a Barclay

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - April 27 2015 :  10:43:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
quote:

These cars are nifty. That blue one appears to be a Ford Galaxy. My old man had one
back in the day, such a capacious ride compared to the econobox I own. One thing: the
dip stick was about an inch short, so it was always running low on oil, which doomed
it.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 27 2015 :  8:22:19 PM

Early 60's Lincoln Continental with suicide rear doors. Or at least their representation of one. If Lesney, should say on the bottom.
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 27 2015 :  11:19:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

it.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 27 2015 :  8:22:19 PM

Early 60's Lincoln Continental with suicide rear doors. Or at least their representation of one. If Lesney, should say on the bottom.

Originally posted by ScaleCraft - April 27 2015 :  10:43:43 PM

I have a Matchbox Ford Galaxie myself and it looks totally different from this thing.

-Steve

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - April 28 2015 :  12:04:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
http://forum.love-fords.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=997&d=1278779239
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 28 2015 :  2:44:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Regular Wheels Matchbox series #31. Love the car Jerry! I have a boxed light green one...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 28 2015 :  6:34:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
http://forum.love-fords.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=997&d=1278779239

Originally posted by ScaleCraft - April 28 2015 :  12:04:27 AM

Gorgeous car, I gotta say.

-Steve

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - April 28 2015 :  7:24:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
They were. No sure I like the gangster versions they are becoming with 20"+ wheels and lowered.
I used to work on these when I worked for Lincoln-Mercury. They are odd...the power steering pump is INSIDE the timing cover, drives on the crank.....seals go bad, you dump ATF into the crankcase...the rear doors will not open with the windows all the way up. Microswitch in the door handles....actuate, relay bank behind rear seat back opens side windows about an inch and a half and remember...close the door, window pops back up.
Convertibles..and convertible hardtops...a MAZE of switches and motors.
To give you an idea (memory here), operate a hardtop lowering, two vertical screws in the decklid unscrew the front corners...when unscrewed (mircoswitch) motor lifts decklid (hinge at rear), halfway up the front foot of the decklid folds out from parked position (and I may have hardtop and soft top confused) to fill the void left by the "C" pillar, then decklid proceeds to full up.
When up, trips a microswitch, causing the lead screws holding the front of the roof to the top of the windscreen start to unscrew. When done, motor starts lifting top. Halfway up, another microswitch for hardtop versions usually flips the front 8-12 inches of the roof back and under while top proceeds down..when down, ANOTHER microswitch tells motor to stop, decklid starts down, when down, lead screws tighten front corners to body..and the process stops.
On the hardtop versions there is a big, square metal container bolted to the trunk floor.
THAT is where you put things, as the rest of the space is mechanism and top when it comes down.
Had one come in with the top halfway down and stuck. Guy had borrowed his neighbors Licoln to go golfing. Threw the clubs and bag just "in the trunk", decided to lower the top on the way home.
There is no "stop, go the other way".
Had this little Japanese guy worked in the shop..they picked him up, fed him nose first into the open end of the trunk, with a flashlight, where he operated the microswitches in sequence until the car though it was all the way down, then we hit "up" and the top came up, and Toktaru Ami got lifted back out.
Seriously.
Dave

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 28 2015 :  7:47:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Dave that story is priceless.
I'm still laughing with the visual of that poor little guy "going in".

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 28 2015 :  8:44:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Oh gawd, poor guy Both the golfer and the Japanese fellow...
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 28 2015 :  9:28:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I feel for the car owner - his careless neighbor jacked up his Lincoln!
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 28 2015 :  11:33:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Back to school for me. Nice pieces anyhows.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 29 2015 :  12:50:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

British crossing gate. In practice, the motorist would swing the gates shut
across the tracks while crossing, and then open them again. All metal,
stamped Dublo-Hornby and then Meccano on the bottom. Having a devil
of a time trying to decide what to do with it. Quintessentially British, it
doesn't fit my time period and will require placing it on a spur as all the
other mainline is double or triple tracked. I know, it's only rock and roll,
but I like it...

Edited by - Chops124 on April 29 2015 12:52:10 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 29 2015 :  07:07:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Actually There usually is a guard at these to open & close the gates
Unless its a private crossing Then you had to literally telephone the dispatcher to see if it was safe to cross

There is only a few manually Level Crossings around UK now

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 30 2015 :  12:33:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow! You guys are sharp! I never knew that either!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 30 2015 :  06:08:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
2 examples

ok there IS a crossing you gotta do yourself

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - May 02 2015 :  7:56:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Nice Stuff guys!

Here is my ACOW.. It is a Kemtron work train with a Lindsay teaspoon of power. I know I have posted one of these before, but not this one! This one I just purchased!

The nice part... he sent a second Lindsay Teaspoon of Power motor. It has the typical affliction of zimax rot, but it is definitely good for parts for the others I have needing them!

All for $65!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 02 2015 :  8:57:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Micro- the images don't appear, please try again!
Do you happen to know what era the English
crossing gate come into being?

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 02 2015 :  10:31:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P91S-FxVQm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRQt_PMhBXY
try that, Chops

Mustangs_n_Trains: OOOO! I want a REAL one of those!
  Previous Topic: AOTW May 3 - May 9, 2015 Topic Next Topic: AOTW April 19 - April 25, 2015  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000