Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 29 ]  [ Total: 30 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Need Help
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: NOTICE! Tyco forum closed Feb, 29-30-31 Topic Next Topic: Erie, PA Model Train Show 3/1/2015  

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 22 2015 :  4:26:04 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
I need some help. I picked up this engine at a train show. The guy has it marked at $5.00 and said he did not know if it worked. I took it to a test track at the show and it did not work. He marked it down to $3.00 so I took it. I cleaned the wheels and greased the gears. Two of the wheel contacts were bent up and not making contact with the wheels. Fixed those and got it to run. It runs bouncy and loud. It seems the gears are slipping but I don’t know how to take the body off the chassis to check that out. Also, if I need new gears on the shaft, where can I get them from?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 22 2015 :  4:32:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
There is a screw in the stack that holds the body to the chassis. They do wobble alot. Bad design allows too much slop.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 22 2015 :  5:23:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
Thanks Justin, I also hear slippage. The motor is running but the wheels are not turning. A little push and it starts moving but to me, you can hear the gears missing each other.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 22 2015 :  5:49:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks Justin, I also hear slippage. The motor is running but the wheels are not turning. A little push and it starts moving but to me, you can hear the gears missing each other.

Originally posted by thetramp - February 22 2015 :  5:23:43 PM

tramp - I had a similar loco. Same thing was happening to it, the problem was the gear that runs off the worm was stripped. Easy fix if you can find that gear.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 23 2015 :  1:07:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I have one similar (if not identical) to your engine. Mine was also bouncy and the issue turned out to be a cracked axle gear. It was almost invisible to the naked eye. Good luck!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - February 23 2015 :  1:57:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
Dacheez, the bouncy problem is not there anymore. Don't know what I did to fix it. The problem I am having is the gears slip. I took it apart and it does not look like the gears are striped. I have noticed that the gear that is visible on the bottom can be moved from side to side. Is it suppose to be like that? There is a noise when it runs but that sounds like it is the chugging of the engine. Does yours have that noise?
Edited by - thetramp on February 23 2015 1:57:58 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 23 2015 :  7:54:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I don't think the axle gear is supposed to move at all other than to rotate with the axle. Mine had a hairline crack that was mostly covered by old grease residue. To be honest I never did fix the thing so I can't tell you what it's supposed to sound like.

I did however make a post about it a few years back. Maybe some of the others' suggestions will help you out:

http://tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9051
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 23 2015 :  8:28:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Raysouthernpac or someone here rebuilt one into a better runner.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: NOTICE! Tyco forum closed Feb, 29-30-31 Topic Next Topic: Erie, PA Model Train Show 3/1/2015  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000