Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 New Product Releases
 Bachmann E-Z app: Bluetooth-controlled locomotives
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Walthers F40PHs (including the MBTA!) Topic Next Topic: Broadway Limited L1s Mikado  

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 20 2015 :  1:33:56 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Anyone heard of these yet?

Co-produced by Bachmann and Blue Rail Trains, these are Bluetooth-equipped HO locomotives that can be controlled from a mobile device! Currently an iOS app will soon be out for controlling them, but an Android version will soon follow. The locomotive will transmit its sounds to your device, and it can be used on existing DC and DCC systems without any conflict, according to Bachmann. So far, only the FT locomotive model is being offered.
I might actually get this for my layout! (the Santa Fe version, of course)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 20 2015 :  1:58:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I really hope they eventually develop this to a point where the loco comes with a wireless video camera that transmits live back to the phone screen. Drive my train first person from my smart phone? Yes please!

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - February 20 2015 :  4:21:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
After seeing monsterrailroads Amherst interview with bachmann I won't buy any new products from them.
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - February 20 2015 :  7:35:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
quote:
After seeing monsterrailroads Amherst interview with bachmann I won't buy any new products from them.

Originally posted by rgcw5 - February 20 2015 :  4:21:32 PM

I was looking for this interview on youtube ... I'm unable to find it. What's it all about?

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 20 2015 :  7:41:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I have never been a big fan of Bachmann trains or rolling stock.. I do have some Bachmann pieces though. I do like their line of "SceneScape" Trees...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 20 2015 :  8:23:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I think that's a fairly neat idea. Bluetooth trains being controlled with cell phones, that's actually kinda neat and would definitely help get more people into the hobby.Well, maybe.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - February 22 2015 :  3:55:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
I have 2 issues with this system:
1. Currently it is new and only Bachmann has announced it. Could this be the betamaxx of model railroading?
2. This relies on a phone / tablet. The OSes on these are upgraded far faster than I upgrade the systems running my railroad. Will I need to buy new software when my phone is replaced in a few years?

This said I like the concept of this.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 22 2015 :  10:33:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I like the concept of totally wireless control. It's a step toward battery power and freedom from all concerns about electrical contact.

The concern about the phone upgrade of the month club could be corrected with a dedicated controller. That might be necessary for this to really catch on.

I don't know whether it'll catch on, but it would probably eventually dethrone DCC if it does.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 23 2015 :  1:20:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
1. Currently it is new and only Bachmann has announced it. Could this be the betamaxx of model railroading?
2. This relies on a phone / tablet. The OSes on these are upgraded far faster than I upgrade the systems running my railroad. Will I need to buy new software when my phone is replaced in a few years?

Originally posted by tkruger - February 22 2015 :  3:55:06 PM

If they make the software free and simply charge for the engine it would make good sense. Even if someone downloads the software without buying an engine, it's not like Bachmann is losing any money, nor would the software be any use without the engine. Bachmann would also need to support the app so it runs on the newest phones. A system that only runs on phones 2+ years old is virtually useless.

I guess we'll have to see how B-mann handles it.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 23 2015 :  8:10:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by tkruger - February 22 2015 :  3:55:06 PM

If they make the software free and simply charge for the engine it would make good sense. Even if someone downloads the software without buying an engine, it's not like Bachmann is losing any money, nor would the software be any use without the engine. Bachmann would also need to support the app so it runs on the newest phones. A system that only runs on phones 2+ years old is virtually useless.

I guess we'll have to see how B-mann handles it.

Originally posted by DaCheez - February 23 2015 :  1:20:10 PM

Keep in mind though, this is the same company that made those cruddy cracked axle locos in the 80's and 90's. Beautiful locos but they're ruined by those dang cracked axle issues.But then again, they've transformed quite a bit since then. You never really know with these guys.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Parts323
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 26 2015 :  6:51:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Parts323 to Buddylist
Big Al "Monster Railroad" interview with the Bachmann guys for a real opinion of how crappy trains are marketed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0kTTb4Joyk
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 49  ~  Member Since: August 31 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 28 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 26 2015 :  7:27:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Big Al "Monster Railroad" interview with the Bachmann guys for a real opinion of how crappy trains are marketed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0kTTb4Joyk

Originally posted by Parts323 - February 26 2015 :  6:51:24 PM

That guy definitely helps with summing up the current industry. What he says about it, I mean.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on February 26 2015 7:27:48 PM

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - March 04 2015 :  11:55:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
Anyone heard of these yet?

Co-produced by Bachmann and Blue Rail Trains, these are Bluetooth-equipped HO locomotives that can be controlled from a mobile device! Currently an iOS app will soon be out for controlling them, but an Android version will soon follow. The locomotive will transmit its sounds to your device, and it can be used on existing DC and DCC systems without any conflict, according to Bachmann. So far, only the FT locomotive model is being offered.
I might actually get this for my layout! (the Santa Fe version, of course)

Originally posted by wiley209 - February 20 2015 :  1:33:56 PM

Actually it isn't all that new...sort of. Their is an app that allows you to control your Dcc trains via your smart phone. It's been around a few years now and some clubs utilize it at shows now. Really neat stuff.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - March 04 2015 :  12:02:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:

I can't belive folks at Bachmann think that their product is on par with everyone else. That was the funniest part. Not knocking their stuff as some of it does perform well but for 300 bucks? Heck no. I bought one of those locos for 120. It's nice, lacking some detail and the sound isn't all that great. That said it runs great for the 120 I paid for it. If I had 300 I would much rather get a Genesis, MTH Kato or Atlas even if it didn't have sound.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 04 2015 :  6:13:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

I can't belive folks at Bachmann think that their product is on par with everyone else. That was the funniest part. Not knocking their stuff as some of it does perform well but for 300 bucks? Heck no. I bought one of those locos for 120. It's nice, lacking some detail and the sound isn't all that great. That said it runs great for the 120 I paid for it. If I had 300 I would much rather get a Genesis, MTH Kato or Atlas even if it didn't have sound.

Originally posted by raysouthernpac - March 04 2015 :  12:02:54 PM

Or a Broadway limited, too. Some of their stuff goes for that much.

-Steve

Previous Topic: New Walthers F40PHs (including the MBTA!) Topic Next Topic: Broadway Limited L1s Mikado  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000