Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Colorado & Southern 3rd gen to annie upgrade
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Nothing-but-Tracksters post, vintage and modern Topic Next Topic: Bachmann spur gearing size  

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - December 31 2014 :  6:55:58 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
My new year project ... this week, the hot glue and weak factory motor mounts on my Colorado & Southern gave out causing a stripped drive gear. Since Bachmann's warranty charge of $55 is the same as purchasing an annie chassis plus a smoke unit, I've decided to do the swap myself and end up with some spare parts. Should be a fun swap!

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator 

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - January 01 2015 :  1:10:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
The Colorado & Southern is back on the rails. Wasn't so hard to swap out and it's running nice & quiet again. In the spring during painting weather, the yellow steam chests have to go. I'll spray them gloss black like the originals.

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 01 2015 :  4:33:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real cool
What I want to do in G scale is either modern Georgetown Loop, Colorado RR Museum or Ridgway Railroad Museum
BUT all the static displays will RUN
Plus be updated as nessesary
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 02 2015 :  8:00:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Seriously? They were still using hot melt to mount the motor when this was made? I have one of the first gen Big Haulers from 1991 that came from the long gone Damark catalog, but they were glorified toys back then with a pinion and crown gear. It still runs, but only because it's strictly for Christmas duty. You would think they would have developed a secure screw mount.

So much for that lifetime warranty.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - January 02 2015 :  9:54:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
quote:
Seriously? They were still using hot melt to mount the motor when this was made? I have one of the first gen Big Haulers from 1991 that came from the long gone Damark catalog, but they were glorified toys back then with a pinion and crown gear. It still runs, but only because it's strictly for Christmas duty. You would think they would have developed a secure screw mount.

So much for that lifetime warranty.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - January 02 2015 :  8:00:54 PM

It had a plastic cradle mount, but the screws were too far apart in the plastic frame to keep the worm gear in place. I have a feeling that Bachmann took a soaking on these engines with their warranty. Now the motors are in a steel frame, the way they should have been.

I'm going to attempt a repair on the old running gear if I can get a replacement drive gear from Bachmann. I'll post photos on what I come up with.

Those first gen engines were much more reliable that this design. I have two that have seen some rough duty. They hold up well as long as they're fed lube properly.

I also have an ex radio controlled engine. It's in the repair cradle in the photo above. That one is in the process of a re-chassis using a Barry's Big Trains setup. It's a long overdue project (I have too many long overdue projects!). All that's left to do is cast some lead weights, install them and put it back together.

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 02 2015 :  10:34:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I did read somewhere about trouble with the earlier worm drives. I remember it was a few years before they came out with full valve gear for them.

Interesting that the 1st gen are that robust. The build quality was pretty poor, and I did have to glue the bosses for the boiler weight back in place after a pretty minor blow. I also noticed that the drivers had too much play and the backs were able to rub the frame, so I made 6 axle spacers out of what I had on hand: medium gauge solder. I soldered each ring together at the joint, they're still doing their job.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on January 02 2015 10:39:05 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - January 03 2015 :  6:00:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
quote:
I did read somewhere about trouble with the earlier worm drives. I remember it was a few years before they came out with full valve gear for them.

Interesting that the 1st gen are that robust. The build quality was pretty poor, and I did have to glue the bosses for the boiler weight back in place after a pretty minor blow. I also noticed that the drivers had too much play and the backs were able to rub the frame, so I made 6 axle spacers out of what I had on hand: medium gauge solder. I soldered each ring together at the joint, they're still doing their job.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - January 02 2015 :  10:34:02 PM

I'll have to try that solder ring trick. My ATSF has the same problem of sloppy drivers.

Now I'm wondering if the weight in that thing broke loose ... the last time I lubed the engine, when I up-righted it, I thought I felt a thump.

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 03 2015 :  11:13:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Yeah, if the design is the same, those screw bosses aren't very strong. As for the spacers, you might be able to find big fiber or plastic washers, or make some rings out of copper house wire.
The Tyco Depot
  Previous Topic: Nothing-but-Tracksters post, vintage and modern Topic Next Topic: Bachmann spur gearing size  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000