Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Nothing-but-Tracksters post, vintage and modern
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachman / Kader chassis auto train 4000 DCC Topic Next Topic: Colorado & Southern 3rd gen to annie upgrade  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 13 2014 :  1:50:42 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I think I finally found all my Tracksters, and got them in one place for a photo shoot. Watch out, incoming GIMMEE! <ducking> I'm sure there will be a few.

Anyway, I have over 70+ of the Willys Jeep version in red and blue, also about 10 each of the vans in red and blue, and then this variety of both vintage and modern Tracksters. The modern ones are the green Willys Jeep, the yellow Pick-up truck, and the yellow Step-van. All the rest are all vintage Bachmann Tracksters from a ways back. So, here they come....

Above, all these are vintage versions. I forgot to put the Conrail P/U in this photo, it is also vintage, but I thought it was a modern version. Oh well. See the later pictures.

Above, all except the Conrail p/u are modern era Tracksters, with redesigned power chassis's. They run much better than the old versions do!

Now, on to the individual models....

Above, the Willys Jeepster, modern green on the left, vintage red on the right. I don't believe I've ever tried running the modern WIllys yet. I will rectify that soon. The chassis bases look interchangeable between the vintage and new body.

Above, modern yellow step-van on the left, vintage BN on the right. I intend to swap the chassis's , and run the BN with a decoder eventually. Looks like the chassis's are similar, and can be interchanged, just the guts and tops are redesigned.

Above, modern yellow p/u on the left, vintage Conrail on the right. A club member's son 's friend DCC'ed a yellow one like this, with an N scale decoder, and ran it at the TImonium, MD show last year. Man, that thing was scary fast! Very UNprototypical. But fun to watch.

The little green Centercab diesel in the first photo was a non-powered shell kit, which someone placed on a modified Gandy Dancer chassis. Not much weight, it doesn't run well at all, but a fun little engine to see, anyway. Not much room to add weight to it, is the problem. Got it off Ebay awhile back.

Anyway, that's my Trackster post, hope to have one Decodered before too long. Should be a quick winter's project. < unfolding the anti-Gimmee umbrella > Now, let the posts begin!!!

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 13 2014 :  2:13:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I want the UP school bus, Amtrak equipment truck, & 5-6 of the Conrail pickups
Bachmann made a UP equipment truck too

I had a thought IF anyone gets too many of the equipment trucks
Take the box off & make it into a flatbed with a crane on it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 13 2014 :  4:40:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Okay, massive GIMME on the little green Model 40 up there!! IIRC that was an unpowered Jordan kit that could be placed either on a modified Gandy Dancer like yours or on a power truck from a Bachmann 44-ton. I got 2 battered gandy dancers for cheap with the intention of doing that, but I can't make either one run
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 13 2014 :  5:00:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Sorry guys... This is all I have:

1955 Brass Powered Kemtron Work Train:

Ulrich Kenworth Inspection Truck w/ Scratchbuilt Powered Brass Trailer

Brass & Card Stock Galloping Goose - POSSESSION, PRIDE AND JOY of the Polk and Westley RR

I paid ~$9 total for it in 2011 on eBay. It came with a ribbon for 2nd prize ???

NMRA COAST DIVISION: diesel and other Class / November 10, 1963

Built by:
Haele Hammer
449 - 36th St.
Oak (land) 653-8612

Looks like he tried to re-motor it after winning.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 13 2014 :  7:01:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Wow, that's a neat brass conversion, I've never seen one like it. Pretty cool inspection vehicle! Like the maintenance equipment, too. All good stuff. Very early "trackster" equipment for sure.
Those Gandy Dancers are a bear to get running right, there's one that came in recently in a consignment, it actually runs WELL. I was shocked. Usually the worm gear binds up, and/or its jerky for other reasons like poor voltage p/u. Either way, that Jordan conversion will take a bit of work to get it moving properly. I'll tinker with it eventually.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 13 2014 :  7:37:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
When I bought my real Dodge A-100 truck. I had previously been thinking about another one that was not far from home. This was a railroad trackster at one time and still had some of the mounts etc underneath. I ended up getting the one in Texas as it was a much more solid truck...
Edited by - walt on December 14 2014 12:23:19 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 13 2014 :  10:25:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Sean, that Kemtron set is beautiful. Love seeing that powered Ulrich truck again, too.

I was 6 months old when Haele won 2nd prize.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 13 2014 :  11:31:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah but do it all run?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 27 2014 :  02:10:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
AMCGT:

The tracksters are super cool, even though i could never get my 'jeepster' to run right. Incidentally, being somewhat of a car guy, i feel compelled to point out that Bachmann got the name wrong. The Jeepster was a roadster; the Bachmann vehicle is the Jeep Station Wagon. :)

I don't have my old one any more. Do they still make any of these? I see the Gandy Dancer is still in teh line, with a GD list price to match. :D

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 27 2014 :  07:05:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
AMCGT:
\ i feel compelled to point out that .... The Jeepster was a roadster; the Bachmann vehicle is the Jeep Station Wagon. :)

I don't have my old one any more. Do they still make any of these?

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - December 27 2014 :  02:10:54 AM

True, the convertible top version was truly the Jeepster, not the wagon.

I don't honestly know if the modern ones are still available, as I bought that green Jeep wagon some years ago. I do occasionally see the p/u trucks on tables at shows, but haven't seen another Jeep wagon since I bought mine. But they are far superior to the old ones! I found, though, that the old ones would run better by replacing the front wheels ( plastic ) with another set of the brass ones ( off another Trackster ), as the plastic ones were often out of true, they seemed glued on to the hub, and would be lopsided on some ( I have about 80+ chassis's, so I can cannibalize to my hears content ), I also think I can upgrade it to dual axle electrical pick-up, which is what the new ones have, and the old ones needed. Also they used a friction contact to the motor, I intend to solder the pick-up directly, I think that is another issue with them getting enough stable electric current, too. That is on my project list (eventually ). The little flat motors are really junky, but there are a few which do run sweetly, so I intend to use those as a basis for the upgrade, just to see how they will run with dual axle p/u and all brass wheels, and soldered electrical connections.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 27 2014 :  12:57:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey Autobus Prime
Note the Jeepsters are a FOUR door type
very RARE to find one since most were sold to railroads & equiped with hy-rail gear!
So if & when you see a real 4 door Jeepster Remember it was owned by a railroad originally
Do want one someday

What Willys-Overland sold to the public was 2 doors only

Edited by - microbusss on December 27 2014 2:57:27 PM

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 27 2014 :  3:41:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
hey Autobus Prime
Note the Jeepsters are a FOUR door type
very RARE to find one since most were sold to railroads & equiped with hy-rail gear!
So if & when you see a real 4 door Jeepster Remember it was owned by a railroad originally
Do want one someday

What Willys-Overland sold to the public was 2 doors only

Originally posted by microbusss - December 27 2014 :  12:57:37 PM

Whoa! They are 4 door - that breaks my brain.

So the 4 door hi-rail Jeep was a real vehicle and not just Bachmann? Cool!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 27 2014 :  8:32:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Whoa! They are 4 door - that breaks my brain.

So the 4 door hi-rail Jeep was a real vehicle and not just Bachmann? Cool!

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - December 27 2014 :  3:41:54 PM

yup Here is link PROVING its REAL!
http://www.willyscountry.com/4_dr_Willys.html
DO WANT!!!

Edited by - microbusss on December 27 2014 8:32:57 PM

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 29 2014 :  11:28:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I was out of town this weekend going to visit my wife's relatives, staying at her sister's place in Muncy, PA, which is close to Montoursville, PA , home of Bowser manufacturing, and English's hobby shop which owns it, or the other way around? Anyway, they had some great stuff, as usual. I found their Bachmann shelf in the back of the store, and yes, they still have a few Tracksters in stock for sale. I found my green Jeepster, a School bus, and a Gandy Dancer. Up front, they had some some different MOW trucks, in HO, for about $55 each. Since I was traveling in my wife's Saturn Sky ( little sports car type ), there wasn't much room, so I only bought parts, no trains. Oh well, maybe I"ll have get a club trip to go up one day. It's worth the trip I think, it's almost 5 hour drive from south of DC to there for us.
Anyway, I took a few pictures of the Tracksters, so here they are.

Jerry

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 29 2014 :  11:38:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
I was out of town this weekend going to visit my wife's relatives, staying at her sister's place in Muncy, PA, which is close to Montoursville, PA , home of Bowser manufacturing, and English's hobby shop which owns it, or the other way around? Anyway, they had some great stuff, as usual. I found their Bachmann shelf in the back of the store, and yes, they still have a few Tracksters in stock for sale. I found my green Jeepster, a School bus, and a Gandy Dancer. Up front, they had some some different MOW trucks, in HO, for about $55 each. Since I was traveling in my wife's Saturn Sky ( little sports car type ), there wasn't much room, so I only bought parts, no trains. Oh well, maybe I"ll have get a club trip to go up one day. It's worth the trip I think, it's almost 5 hour drive from south of DC to there for us.
Anyway, I took a few pictures of the Tracksters, so here they are.

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - December 29 2014 :  11:28:12 AM

Geez. Bachmann's 35-year-old diework puts the BLI product to shame. The BLI trucks look like a kid's drawing of a Ford pickup...

Edited by - Autobus Prime on December 29 2014 11:41:35 AM

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 29 2014 :  11:49:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
It's actually pretty sad if you really think about it, especially since the BLI product is much newer than the Bachmann shell.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 31 2014 :  1:59:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Yeah, made the mistake of plunking down $25 for a used BLI hirail pickup (with DCC), instead of $30 on a new Bachmann one...
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - December 31 2014 :  4:43:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
I had the Bachmann Amtrak 5 Ton Truck, which I haven't seen in years. I attached a coupler on it and some weight on the back of the box to increase adhesion for the drive axle. The coupler I attached was an X2F (hornhook.)

It was able to pull at least one gondola.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - December 31 2014 :  5:27:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Is this a real trackster?

Regards, John

I phoned my grandparents and my grandfather said 'We saw your movie.' 'Which one?' I said. He shouted 'Betty, what was the name of that movie I didn't like? <> Brad Pitt

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 31 2014 :  8:47:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Yeah, made the mistake of plunking down $25 for a used BLI hirail pickup (with DCC), instead of $30 on a new Bachmann one...

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - December 31 2014 :  1:59:51 PM

It's kinda pathetic how they can slap such an expensive price for a very simplistic vehicle like that. Granted, it does have DCC which jacks up the price a bit but why the heck would anyone want to DCC such a simplistic, generic, unrealistic looking model without doing anything to it? To me, all it looks like is a cheap junky looking box thing that runs around the layout. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh on it there because it's okay as long as you can find it for cheaper.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 31 2014 :  8:59:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

It's kinda pathetic how they can slap such an expensive price for a very simplistic vehicle like that. Granted, it does have DCC ...but why the heck would anyone want to DCC such a simplistic, generic, unrealistic looking model without doing anything to it? Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh on it there

Originally posted by kovacste000 - December 31 2014 :  8:47:49 PM

Ah, that's the beauty of it - kitbashing! The older models had better bodies, the newer ones have much nicer drivetrains ( but a really cheap-looking body ), so I'd venture if it was ME, I'd swap out the body pronto to something a little more realistic. Why didn't they do it up front? Who knows. But having a better-running chassis sure beats trying to upgrade a poor one to start with. Bodies are a lot easier to find.

Jerry

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - January 01 2015 :  09:31:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Yes, definitely good kitbash material!

Strikes me as kind of ironic, as the name BLI equates to high prototypical detail in my mind. Strange they would put out such a crude (appearance-wise) model.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 01 2015 :  12:56:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Yes, definitely good kitbash material!

Strikes me as kind of ironic, as the name BLI equates to high prototypical detail in my mind. Strange they would put out such a crude (appearance-wise) model.

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - January 01 2015 :  09:31:09 AM

That's the point.If you really think about it, most DCC locomotives are of prototypical designs so when something like that comes up, it's kinda questionable (can't find a good word for it). If it was DC and was made by let's say Bachmann, it would be just fine. Of course, there's kitbashing, as you said.

-Steve

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 01 2015 :  4:35:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
someone prolly has a semi tractor to pull railcars
I saw a video like that from Austrailia
Course they said the rails wear out the tires faster

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 03 2015 :  09:26:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I suspect another reason of low quality is that BLI doesn't expect many main-stream modelers to be buying the hi-rail stuff, so they weren't going to sink alot into the appearances, if kit-bashing was going to be more likely so they could "adjust" the truck to their era anyway. It would all depend on the marketing intent. Since those are more modern hi-rail trucks, I suspect they decided to let the truck body design not be as involved, and just get a good-running chassis. Seems dumb, but they can always come out with a better body later. But most people won't buy junk at high prices if the chassis was as bad as the originals from the 70's by Bachmann. Just a guess....

Jerry in VA, back from PA

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - January 04 2015 :  9:25:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's kinda pathetic how they can slap such an expensive price for a very simplistic vehicle like that. Granted, it does have DCC ...but why the heck would anyone want to DCC such a simplistic, generic, unrealistic looking model without doing anything to it? Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh on it there

Originally posted by kovacste000 - December 31 2014 :  8:47:49 PM

Ah, that's the beauty of it - kitbashing! The older models had better bodies, the newer ones have much nicer drivetrains ( but a really cheap-looking body ), so I'd venture if it was ME, I'd swap out the body pronto to something a little more realistic. Why didn't they do it up front? Who knows. But having a better-running chassis sure beats trying to upgrade a poor one to start with. Bodies are a lot easier to find.

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - December 31 2014 :  8:59:06 PM

Catch is, what could I turn it into? With wheels as big as it has, the wheelbase is too damn stubby for practically any realistic hi-rail. Maybe I could turn it into some kind of little railcar like the W&OD had... (pauses to google search a picture)

NEVER MIND

Someone started a thread about these Autorailers a month ago or so. This is how we can build one. Anyone have any ideas?

--CRC

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - January 04 2015 :  9:37:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
I suspect another reason of low quality is that BLI doesn't expect many main-stream modelers to be buying the hi-rail stuff, so they weren't going to sink alot into the appearances, if kit-bashing was going to be more likely so they could "adjust" the truck to their era anyway. It would all depend on the marketing intent. Since those are more modern hi-rail trucks, I suspect they decided to let the truck body design not be as involved, and just get a good-running chassis. Seems dumb, but they can always come out with a better body later. But most people won't buy junk at high prices if the chassis was as bad as the originals from the 70's by Bachmann. Just a guess....

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - January 03 2015 :  09:26:50 AM

Good running chassis? BULL. This little monstrosity can barely get enough traction to move, the tire treads carved into the wheel don't help electrical conductivity, and it stalls out on turnouts and diamonds almost every time! One time I was trying it out at a club layout, and we found out (after wondering for several minutes why it hadn't shown up at one end of the layout) that its wheelbase is precisely equal to the distance between the little insulated frogs on a 30-degree diamond, which stops it dead! You would think BLI would have tested this thing so that wouldn't have happened...

--CRC

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 04 2015 :  11:39:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - January 03 2015 :  09:26:50 AM

Good running chassis? BULL. This little monstrosity can barely get enough traction to move, the tire treads carved into the wheel don't help electrical conductivity, and it stalls out on turnouts and diamonds almost every time! One time I was trying it out at a club layout, and we found out (after wondering for several minutes why it hadn't shown up at one end of the layout) that its wheelbase is precisely equal to the distance between the little insulated frogs on a 30-degree diamond, which stops it dead! You would think BLI would have tested this thing so that wouldn't have happened...

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - January 04 2015 :  9:37:39 PM

It's really that bad? Gosh, and BLI calls themselves a high quality brand? Pathetic, really.

-Steve

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 05 2015 :  12:02:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
It's really that bad? Gosh, and BLI calls themselves a high quality brand? Pathetic, really.
Originally posted by kovacste000 - January 04 2015 :  11:39:13 PM

Stephen summed it up well. From the Bachmann handcar to these Hi-Railers, these things are really just novelties. Their miniscule weight and short wheelbase mean they lack traction and dependable electrical pickup. No matter what you pay or who makes them, they'll never be operationally dependable, but DCC implies that someone plans to use them in serious operation.

So why does BLI, which positions itself to an upscale market, stake its name on a toy gimmick? I have nothing against toy gimmicks and whimsy, but at BLI prices? And, in BLI's market? Bad match.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 05 2015 :  09:28:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kovacste000 - January 04 2015 :  11:39:13 PM

Stephen summed it up well. From the Bachmann handcar to these Hi-Railers, these things are really just novelties. Their miniscule weight and short wheelbase mean they lack traction and dependable electrical pickup. No matter what you pay or who makes them, they'll never be operationally dependable, but DCC implies that someone plans to use them in serious operation.

So why does BLI, which positions itself to an upscale market, stake its name on a toy gimmick? I have nothing against toy gimmicks and whimsy, but at BLI prices? And, in BLI's market? Bad match.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - January 05 2015 :  12:02:16 AM

I know! It truly is sad how a company that makes/made this:

(Yes that's BLI) can make something like those almost literal toy tracker trucks.I have nothing against toy style model trains because it gets young ones started in the hobby and whatnot, but that trackster is being made by BLI. They should know better than this.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on January 05 2015 09:29:41 AM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 05 2015 :  2:47:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The BLI Hi-Railer didn't look that bad in their promo videos, but up against the Bachmann stuff, they look pathetic. BLI doesn't market to toy train collectors (as we've been recently reminded ), so the fact that they put no effort into detailing something that could at least be part of a detailed static MR scene is bizarre.

I know the Bachmanns have been retooled, and have all wheel pickup now. As long as they're decent performers there's no contest. But Shaggy's right, school bus aside, these are just novelty 0-4-0's with a tiny wheelbase and no ability to add weight or track sliders to improve pickup.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 05 2015 :  7:09:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
The BLI Hi-Railer didn't look that bad in their promo videos, but up against the Bachmann stuff, they look pathetic. BLI doesn't market to toy train collectors (as we've been recently reminded ), so the fact that they put no effort into detailing something that could at least be part of a detailed static MR scene is bizarre.

I know the Bachmanns have been retooled, and have all wheel pickup now. As long as they're decent performers there's no contest. But Shaggy's right, school bus aside, these are just novelty 0-4-0's with a tiny wheelbase and no ability to add weight or track sliders to improve pickup.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - January 05 2015 :  2:47:54 PM

Exactly my point.I just searched a picture of those things (the promo photo, I mean) and found that they do in fact look okay, especially if they were made by Bachmann. But the part that annoys me is that it's made by a brand that's known for quality locomotives and equipment.

-Steve

Previous Topic: Bachman / Kader chassis auto train 4000 DCC Topic Next Topic: Colorado & Southern 3rd gen to annie upgrade  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000