Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Marklin ST800 Diesel, pre-war, HO scale
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Varney Berkshire Topic Next Topic:  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 14 2014 :  10:45:06 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Boy, talk about a rare piece! A customer brought in this neat talgo-style locomotive train, and I got to work on it. Value at over $1,000, in the original box (which is a piece of custom craftwork, too), all papers, sweet! Thought I'd share it with you. AC driven, heavy diecast construction, and it was super-clean, I bet this was rarely taken out and run.
My first task was to check out the engine, then 3 Marklin transformers. The engine at first was a bit balky, but once I set it up on a piece of track, it seemed to run better. I did minimal work to it ; some oil on the bushings, grease on the internal gears ( of which there were many ), and that was about it. all lightbulbs still worked ! This is a 1939 era model train, very rare. Looked on Ebay tonight, and I found a few, from $1,500 up to 3,200 . Glad I got some pictures of it, I may never see another one of these again!
The Marklin transformers were a piece of cake, 2 of the 3 worked, the 3rd needed the plug rewired, the wires had worked loose inside, so I cut them off and retightened the connections, and it worked as well finally.
Overall, a fairly easy check-out, and since we didnt have any Marklin 3-rail track handy, I "made" one out of some Atlas flex-track, and taped a 3rd rail piece in the middle. Worked well enough to check power to the engine. Very cool piece of HO history I got to hold and feel. Here's some pictures of it on the bench.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 14 2014 :  11:17:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Thanks for posting that Jerry. Incredible.
It looks almost new, and quite sophisticated. You can see the quality.

I would be a nervous wreck working on it!

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 15 2014 :  12:46:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
Wow! What a neat machine. And look at the little reverser 'e-unit'. And notice the drive: central motor driving two trucks through two universal shafts and gear towers. Was Marklin actually the originator of the standard "Athearn style drive" for diesels?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 15 2014 :  09:38:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
What an incredible buy, man. It looks so good for it's age. It's almost pristine, and the fact it works.Oddly enough, the first unit of this consist kinda reminds me of the Santa Fe Chief F-units they had. It might be a mixture of the colors and the overall shape of the loco.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 15 2014 :  11:22:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
idk what is on the front nose but it resembles the Santa Fe Warbonnet
What is the funny wing on the rear car?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 15 2014 :  7:23:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
idk what is on the front nose but it resembles the Santa Fe Warbonnet

Originally posted by microbusss - December 15 2014 :  11:22:33 AM

Look on the paper in one of the pictures. On the bottom right hand corner there's a drawing of the model he has there and it has an emblem that looks suspiciously like the Santa Fe Warbonnet locos.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 15 2014 :  8:56:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - December 15 2014 :  11:22:33 AM

You mean that red thing? It's a piece of rubber padding that is stuck to the car roof. That's not a wing.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 16 2014 :  06:09:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jerry; very interesting train set. Never seen one before. Marklin's type talgo train. Look's like a 1950 Santa-Fe experiment in a light weight talgo type train set. Are the truck side-frames starting to corrode. If so use a old toothbrush and a drop of oil and brush off the white stuff.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 16 2014 :  4:16:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Perhaps you should introduce Ben's Aerotrain to this thing, they look similar enough that they might get along
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 16 2014 :  5:18:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Perhaps you should introduce Ben's Aerotrain to this thing, they look similar enough that they might get along

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - December 16 2014 :  4:16:31 PM

Yeah they might have one of those little propeller cars for a baby

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 16 2014 :  8:42:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - December 16 2014 :  5:18:11 PM

Well, Marklin *did* make one:

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 16 2014 :  10:02:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - December 16 2014 :  5:18:11 PM

Well, Marklin *did* make one:

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - December 16 2014 :  8:42:10 PM

They did a couple of times, actually. I.e. the O gauge version.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on December 17 2014 09:32:36 AM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 17 2014 :  11:46:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That is really cool, and very well built. I found this video of one being tested, and it's from 1949. My guess is that this one isn't any older, based on the vinyl insulation.

Autobus, I thought the same thing. I always assumed Athearn came up with the modern diesel drive. Now I'm wondering what took Uncle Irv so long?

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on December 17 2014 11:46:57 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 17 2014 :  11:58:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I had no idea Athearn didn't invent the modern diesel drive. That's really changed how I see Athearn trains in general.Not saying they're bad because they're still very good engines.
-Steve

Previous Topic: Varney Berkshire Topic Next Topic:  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000