Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Bachmann 2-8-0 remotor.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A Tyco Kitbash - The Bus Exterminator Topic Next Topic: DIY Track Bumper  

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 09 2014 :  12:29:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
These are some photos I took while remotoring an old pancake motored Bachmann 2-8-0.

The rear portion of the frame was cut off with a hack saw. Then the area where the old motor was positioned was milled flat to provide a mounting point for the fabricated motor mount.
The motor has a worm from an AHM GP18 that meshes with one of the original Bachmann 2-8-0 gears. The white spacer in the photo keeps the gear in place.
I used a screw to hold the mounting bracket in position while the epoxy set up.

This is a shot of the left side and the repaired axle gear.

I have only test run this one on the work bench test track. (runs great)
I plan to add some extra weight to the chassis before wiring and testing it on the layout.

Ray
Edited by - Ray Marinaccio on December 09 2014 12:40:04 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator 

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 09 2014 :  12:48:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Well done Ray!
Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 09 2014 :  12:52:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
So cool, Ray! Looks like you modified the motor original mounting plate, so I guess this motor was some electronics salvage. I didn't know the Mehano worms were the same pitch as the Bachmann gearing. How's the speed, since they're double lead?

I bet it's quiet now.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 09 2014 :  1:51:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Ray, was the axle gear repair to fix cracking in the hollow sleeve of the axle by banding it back together with brass tubing? If so, what size tubing did you use? Were there any less than obvious steps in the process?

Thanks.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2354  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - December 09 2014 :  2:35:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
Nice! I need to pick up a bunch of these to remotor my Tyco PTs.

Tim
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 259  ~  Member Since: October 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 09 2014 :  3:01:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Thanks Guys.
The bracket to mount the motor was a motor mounting plate used to mount that motor in a CD drive. The mounting bracket could be made from what ever you have on hand but using the old mounting plate required less drilling.
The Mehano worm and the Bachmann gear mesh well together. I had to use a double lead worm to get a 28/1 final gear ratio at the axle.
The brass sleeves are to repair the split sleeves of the axle gear. The brass tubing I used had an outside diameter of 11/64" and had an inside diameter of .144".
I had to turn the ends of the brass tubing so it would fit inside the bearing hub of the wheels. I don't know if the sleeves of all the Bachmann HO gears are the same. I ran into that problem fixing split gears on Bachmann N scale 4-8-4 locos.
One thing to watch for when mounting the motor is not to create a short between the frame halves. In the 4th and 5th photos you can see a piece of card stock between the frame half and the motor to prevent a short.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 09 2014 :  3:47:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
RM:

The remotor job is great, and if anything the axle repair should prove to be even more useful. Bachmann used the same sort of motor arrangement on a lot of stuff, and it seems like this could easily be adapted.

Any chance you could measure the OD and count teeth on the worm gear so we can figure out what module these gears are? If they're mod 0.5 or 0.3 some easy supply sources might open up...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 09 2014 :  7:16:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
RM:

The remotor job is great, and if anything the axle repair should prove to be even more useful. Bachmann used the same sort of motor arrangement on a lot of stuff, and it seems like this could easily be adapted.

Any chance you could measure the OD and count teeth on the worm gear so we can figure out what module these gears are? If they're mod 0.5 or 0.3 some easy supply sources might open up...

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - December 09 2014 :  3:47:54 PM

Thanks AP,
I might have a few more Bachmann Gears in the parts drawer that I can measure.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 09 2014 :  9:28:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I just looked at one of my junkers, and I see what you did with the reduction gear now. Nice job turning steps into those sleeves. That's ticklish work.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 09 2014 :  11:08:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
The remotor job is great, and if anything the axle repair should prove to be even more useful.
Originally posted by Autobus Prime - December 09 2014 :  3:47:54 PM

It does to me. I've got one of those old 2-8-0's and guess what's broken on it.
Thanks, Ray, for the further information.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2354  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 11 2014 :  7:44:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Thanks again for your comments everyone. I found some time today to do some more work on this project. In the first photo of this thread you can see that the cylinders and pilot are sagging. I fixed that by drilling a hole in the cylinder saddle and used a screw and an Athearn 33" wheel (as an insulator) to hold the cylinder block in place.

I threaded screws into the holes in each frame half by the smoke generator to attach wires to the motor and added some extra weight that is wrapped in electrical tape to prevent them from shorting on the frame.

The tender I used (temporarily) is a kitbashed Tyco. It has a shell from a Tyco 0-8-0, the floor from a Tyco wide vision caboose and trucks from a Tyco 6 axle tank car.

The loco runs pretty good. I can now hear all the clanking of the side rods instead of the screeching gears. Might have to look at the rods now

Ray
Edited by - Ray Marinaccio on December 11 2014 7:52:06 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 11 2014 :  11:08:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I like your Frankentender. The trucks aren't prototypical, but they look good. From a distance I thought they were Buckeyes.

The whole pilot & cylinders design is pretty wonky, as they depend entirely on the plastic bottom cover and often have some slop. On one of mine I screwed the cylinders to the cover with a large flat washerhead screw and countersunk it to clear the pilot truck.

Those molded pilot supports that they bend over and glue always bothered me too, but I guess they saved a few pennies on two bits of wire. I guess that also explains why the smokebox floor is cast so thick.

I hope you can make a video of it running when it done.

The Tyco Depot

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 12 2014 :  10:53:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I know it's not the true Reading tender that came with the beast, and that it's only temporary, but the tender shown does look nice in proportion with the massive look of that Consolidation.

Those were some pretty detailed looking models, especially for their price. The main problem they had was those axle sleeves cracking, and you apparently have that licked.

Carpe Manana!

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 12 2014 :  12:15:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
The more I look at it , I might just keep the tender on it and repaint the loco.
Securing the pilot & cylinders from the bottom will work too. I might replace those pilot supports with some wire. (they are kind of bent up aren't they).
I am impressed with the detail of the Bachmann locos of that era. Especially for what they sold for then.
It is unfortunate they have the axle problems and didn't all have the can motor design used in the Bachmann Plus design.
Thanks again Guys.

Ray
  Previous Topic: A Tyco Kitbash - The Bus Exterminator Topic Next Topic: DIY Track Bumper  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000