Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 New Product Releases
 Broadway Limited Covered Hoppers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Broadway Limited Water Tower Topic Next Topic: Update to Kato Sound  

Parts323
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 08 2014 :  07:59:41 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Parts323 to Buddylist
Some of the best model trains in the world. I own a few. These covered hoppers are absolutely stunning!

http://www.broadway-limited.com/h32coveredhoppercars.aspx

Edited by - Parts323 on December 08 2014 08:00:20 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 49  ~  Member Since: August 31 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 28 2021 Alert Moderator 

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 08 2014 :  11:56:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
Some of the best model trains in the world. I own a few. These covered hoppers are absolutely stunning!

http://www.broadway-limited.com/h32coveredhoppercars.aspx

Originally posted by Parts323 - December 08 2014 :  07:59:41 AM

Pretty cars, but man, so expensive!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 08 2014 :  12:31:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
$159 for a covered hopper??? At that price point it better have a motor

Beautiful cars though - as they should be.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 08 2014 :  12:42:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
$159 for a covered hopper??? At that price point it better have a motor

Beautiful cars though - as they should be.

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - December 08 2014 :  12:31:59 PM

For a set of 4, taking the price per car to around $40...but still...

It takes me back to the thing I always wondered about brass freight cars. Individually they looked great, but imagine the cost of assembling even a small train...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 08 2014 :  2:08:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

For a set of 4, taking the price per car to around $40...but still...

It takes me back to the thing I always wondered about brass freight cars. Individually they looked great, but imagine the cost of assembling even a small train...

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - December 08 2014 :  12:42:57 PM

I'm afraid $40/car is still out of the range I will pay for a freight car. Passenger car? yes, but only as an exception. But that's just my outlook on the hobby. I would rather build than buy.

I'll admit that is influenced plenty by the lack of discretionary funds for model railroad stuff, and I could probably give a decent list of all the pieces I would buy if cost was no object

Still...my experience has been that of the most valued pieces of my collection, a majority is stuff I have detailed from "train set" stuff or a kitbash of some type. If you added up the time and amount af parts, some of these things would be expensive too, but I know I built it - so it gives some special satisfaction.

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 08 2014 :  3:39:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Good lord! I've ever paid $40 for a freight car once, and that on an ultra-rare Quality Craft "Hello Dolly" boxcar that I knew I'd never see again. Too expensive for me, these covered hoppers... I'm better off scratchbuilding one!
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Parts323
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 08 2014 :  4:02:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Parts323 to Buddylist
I will let the proverbial cat out of the bag. A local hobby store in my area bought several of the four pack sets and has been selling them individually for $33.00. Not a high price in my opinion for the level of quality and detail built into the model.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 49  ~  Member Since: August 31 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 28 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 08 2014 :  4:30:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
I will let the proverbial cat out of the bag. A local hobby store in my area bought several of the four pack sets and has been selling them individually for $33.00. Not a high price in my opinion for the level of quality and detail built into the model.

Originally posted by Parts323 - December 08 2014 :  4:02:22 PM

Hm, still it doesn't come in Maxwell House. How can I love a covered hopper that doesn't come in Maxwell House?

It would look totally out of place next to the grinding bin at my open pit coffee mine.

Edited by - Autobus Prime on December 08 2014 4:32:04 PM

Parts323
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 08 2014 :  6:09:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Parts323 to Buddylist
Hm, still it doesn't come in Maxwell House. How can I love a covered hopper that doesn't come in Maxwell House?

It would look totally out of place next to the grinding bin at my open pit coffee mine.

Again I hope that was a joke. Do you have the Canadian Club covered hopper next to a distillery?

Edited by - Parts323 on December 08 2014 6:10:31 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 49  ~  Member Since: August 31 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 28 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 08 2014 :  8:01:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:

Again I hope that was a joke. Do you have the Canadian Club covered hopper next to a distillery?

Originally posted by Parts323 - December 08 2014 :  6:09:26 PM

That must've been a joke. After all, SANKA is the way to go for good hopper-hauled coffee (c'mon, Chops, back me up here...)

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 08 2014 :  9:39:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Good looking hoppers! I must say, that I have been guilty of paying $40 plus for a few Tyco pieces...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

outofstorage
Switcher

Posted - December 08 2014 :  10:23:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add outofstorage to Buddylist
These are beautiful cars. Comes in a nice clear plastic case with an excellent model holder. Lucky enough to score one for a price close to the $33. Hope to eventually get all of the Pennsy variations.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: November 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: January 12 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 09 2014 :  12:09:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

Hey, great idea! Keep 'em comin'!

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 09 2014 :  12:24:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:

Coffee mining is serious business man. We haul the beans in pit trains of Tyco operating Difco dump cars to the roasting and grinding plant. Sadly no distillery yet. But when we do, the Canadian Club is a given. :D

quote:

That must've been a joke. After all, SANKA is the way to go for good hopper-hauled coffee (c'mon, Chops, back me up here...)
Originally posted by PRR 4800 - December 08 2014 : 8:01:09 PM

Sanka? We ship those guys the decaf stuff we have to dig through to get to the high-grade.

Edited by - Autobus Prime on December 09 2014 12:34:20 AM

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 09 2014 :  12:43:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Good looking hoppers! I must say, that I have been guilty of paying $40 plus for a few Tyco pieces...

Originally posted by walt - December 08 2014 :  9:39:34 PM

Well yeah Walt, but at least they're Tyco pieces!

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 09 2014 :  12:56:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Too bad Tyco didn't last long enough to make some Starbucks hoppers. I'd pony up some serious cash for a cut of those.

quote:

Coffee mining is serious business man. We haul the beans in pit trains of Tyco operating Difco dump cars to the roasting and grinding plant.

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - December 09 2014 : 12:24:25 AM

Like the slogan says, "Good to the last dump!"

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 09 2014 :  11:49:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
After a second look, I don't think the detail on these hoppers justifies a $40 or even $33 price tag. Those stirrups are surprisingly thick, not nearly as nice as Rapido or even Kadee. It definitely falls short of good brass.

As for BLI being the best in the world, well, their Hudson 1.0 was a near disaster with drivers that slipped out of quarter, non-removable wheelsets, noisy gearing, etc. A lot of them were returned, and ended up in their parts grab bag sales. They've improved overall, but still have QC issues like cracked axle gears, a problem that could easily be remedied by cutting them from brass. That's kind of inexcusable at their price point.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Parts323
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 09 2014 :  2:48:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Parts323 to Buddylist
quote:
After a second look, I don't think the detail on these hoppers justifies a $40 or even $33 price tag. Those stirrups are surprisingly thick, not nearly as nice as Rapido or even Kadee. It definitely falls short of good brass.

As for BLI being the best in the world, well, their Hudson 1.0 was a near disaster with drivers that slipped out of quarter, non-removable wheelsets, noisy gearing, etc. A lot of them were returned, and ended up in their parts grab bag sales. They've improved overall, but still have QC issues like cracked axle gears, a problem that could easily be remedied by cutting them from brass. That's kind of inexcusable at their price point.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - December 09 2014 :  11:49:13 AM

First off, I said they were SOME of the best trains in the world, not THE best trains in the world. I personally have Twelve Broadway Limited Locomotives and have never had one problem with any of them. They are all quiet and run very smooth, plus pull very well. Broadway Limited did have some problems with the Hudson, but corrected it and have always fully stood behind their products. I know all you guys are big Tyco collectors, and I am guilty of owning a few in my childhood, but I have moved on to appreciate model trains that are accurate representations of real trains. If you saw how smooth and easy these covered hoppers roll down the track, you would appreciate the quality of the model as well. Rapido makes decent rolling stock as well and are also quite pricey, something you failed to mention.

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 09 2014 :  3:17:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
I know all you guys are big Tyco collectors, and I am guilty of owning a few in my childhood, but I have moved on to appreciate model trains that are accurate representations of real trains. If you saw how smooth and easy these covered hoppers roll down the track, you would appreciate the quality of the model as well.
Originally posted by Parts323 - December 09 2014 :  2:48:14 PM

P323:

I get a sense that maybe there is some philosophy I can share here, and since I like sharing philosophy I'm going to just go ahead and do it. :)

I've moved on, too. Allow me to share my travelogue.

I was happy to own Tyco in my childhood.

I had a lot of fun with those trains, and I didn't worry about anything else. I dug through the catalogs and the Tyco handbook and dreamed of all the cool things that could be done.

I was guilty of owning Tyco later.

I let various other people in the hobby, especially a certain magazine that represented a lot of advertisers, dictate the way I should feel. Tyco was just cheap junk.

At some point, I became happy to own Tyco again.

I realized that the other people in the hobby, the Serious hobbyists...were just playing with toys too. As much as I was, as a child. And I started seeing all the things to like about Tyco.

So I stopped worrying. I began to once again enjoy Tyco for what it is.

But there's one more step I've moved on, since finding this forum. I've found a group of people who all enjoy model railroading in this way, or in variant ways that depart from the "norm", as laid out by the high-dollar advertisers. Finding this group, I've moved on to a new feeling. I now feel proud to be a Tyco fan.

From happy - to guilty - to happy - to proud, P323. That's how I've moved on. :)

Enjoy the hobby as you like. If you like the big ticket stuff, and you can afford it, enjoy it. But don't let other people restrict you. Don't feel like there is only One True Way to enjoy the hobby. The more you can relax, and realize that this hobby is a game of Calvinball, where you follow whatever rules you like, the more free you will become to enjoy it.

Take a lesson from Tony Koester. He was a super model railroader, and very much a Rulebook type. But he tore down what he thought was his True Ultimate Model Railroad after only a few years. It wasn't fun anymore.

Edited by - Autobus Prime on December 09 2014 5:03:55 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 09 2014 :  4:16:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

First off, I said they were SOME of the best trains in the world, not THE best trains in the world. I personally have Twelve Broadway Limited Locomotives and have never had one problem with any of them. They are all quiet and run very smooth, plus pull very well. Broadway Limited did have some problems with the Hudson, but corrected it and have always fully stood behind their products. I know all you guys are big Tyco collectors, and I am guilty of owning a few in my childhood, but I have moved on to appreciate model trains that are accurate representations of real trains. If you saw how smooth and easy these covered hoppers roll down the track, you would appreciate the quality of the model as well. Rapido makes decent rolling stock as well and are also quite pricey, something you failed to mention.

Originally posted by Parts323 - December 09 2014 :  2:48:14 PM

I'm not much of Tyco fan, actually, and the Starbucks comment was a joke. I do appreciate the better stuff, and own a good bit of it. But part of getting older is losing that adolescent shame about childish things, and caring less about what others think. I can rivet count with the best of them; most here can, but I choose not to anymore because as AB pointed out with Tony Koester's example, it can be self-defeating. It's not what I enjoy.

I've read your profile, though, and if you have such disdain for Tyco it begs the question: why are you here, Eric? Just to troll?

The Tyco Depot

Parts323
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 09 2014 :  8:31:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Parts323 to Buddylist

[/quote]

I'm not much of Tyco fan, actually, and the Starbucks comment was a joke. I do appreciate the better stuff, and own a good bit of it. But part of getting older is losing that adolescent shame about childish things, and caring less about what others think. I can rivet count with the best of them; most here can, but I choose not to anymore because as AB pointed out with Tony Koester's example, it can be self-defeating. It's not what I enjoy.

I've read your profile, though, and if you have such disdain for Tyco it begs the question: why are you here, Eric? Just to troll?

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - December 09 2014 :  4:16:35 PM

[/quote]

Not quiet a troll. I posted the Broadway Limited car because I thought it was cool. I guess I was wrong to think that people on this forum were model railroaders and would appreciate a quality design for a peace of rolling stock. I never said that I hate tyco.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 09 2014 :  10:58:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Autobus and Nelson, I echo your sentiments. Well said.
Tyco is just plain fun. And not just Tyco but Mantua/Bachmann/Model Power/LifeLike/AHM/IHC/Gilbert/insert your favorite old manufacturer here.
I can rivet count with the best, but learned recently that it can become a job instead of a hobby when you let that dictate what you run and model.
The best illustration was embodied in a 1960s era Tyco Santa Fe passenger set I got about this time last year. Completely UN-prototypical, with the "dual lighting", funky silhouettes in the windows and those horrible NMRA couplers.
Only problem was, once I had that set hooked up to a pair of warbonnet diesels and running around my layout - I was as thrilled as a kid on Christmas morning. And it took me past scanning every car for correct windows/undercarriages/etc to actually buying in to the overall scene. Ironic isn't it?
AND...those old NMRA 'horn-hooks' worked just fine too. Amazing!
Now I still put Kadees and metal wheelsets on just about everything but now, not EVERYTHING. There was never a real Sanka car but why is that a problem? And the biggest joy is taking these 'childhood' trains and massaging them a bit to where they can run with the high dollar new stuff. Or just resurrecting an old vintage locomotive that has a ton of history behind it, what's cooler than that?
You can go and buy a new piece that will do it all and be prototypically correct right out of the box - but anybody can do that! You buy it, put it on the track (or shelf) and....ho-hum, that's all done, what's next?

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 09 2014 :  11:48:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
It's true; my expensive stuff tends to sit in boxes, while the stuff I've repaired or upgraded gets used because it means much more to me. Plunking down a lot of $$ and opening a box doesn't give me much of a thrill.

quote:

I guess I was wrong to think that people on this forum were model railroaders and would appreciate a quality design for a peace of rolling stock.

Originally posted by Parts323 - December 09 2014 : 8:31:37 PM

You'd make a lot more friends here if you'd lose the snark and stop insulting people and making libelous accusations. My guess is that's not why you're here, tho.

And I honestly can't understand why these hoppers would interest you at all. They don't come in a sour grapes scheme.

The Tyco Depot

Parts323
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 10 2014 :  08:07:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Parts323 to Buddylist
quote:
It's true; my expensive stuff tends to sit in boxes, while the stuff I've repaired or upgraded gets used because it means much more to me. Plunking down a lot of $$ and opening a box doesn't give me much of a thrill.

quote:

I guess I was wrong to think that people on this forum were model railroaders and would appreciate a quality design for a peace of rolling stock.

Originally posted by Parts323 - December 09 2014 : 8:31:37 PM

You'd make a lot more friends here if you'd lose the snark and stop insulting people and making libelous accusations. My guess is that's not why you're here, tho.

And I honestly can't understand why these hoppers would interest you at all. They don't come in a sour grapes scheme.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - December 09 2014 :  11:48:24 PM

Well, I see this is a lost cause. I thought I was dealing with model railroaders, but I see I am dealing with guys who are just reliving their childhood by playing with crappy plastic trains. If you just let the expensive stuff sit around in boxes and only run the crappy stuff, then why did you buy the expensive stuff in the first place? Was it because you liked it, and wanted it maybe? Same thing with that hopper car. I liked it and wanted it. They are all just toys guys no matter how much you paid for them, or what manufacturer built them. I prefer the higher brow trains, because they run better, and have more detail. As I said before, I am guilty of owning some Tyco stuff and I actually still do. I do not run the Tyco stuff because it does not run very well and I am not converting it to DCC and putting lots of time and money into it.
I couple of you have stated that you have looked at my bio screen, but I guess you missed the part about me collecting Bowser Trains. As you all know, they are kits and require a lot of time and skill to assemble correctly, so lay off with the "Plunking down a lot of $$ and opening a box doesn't give me much of a thrill"
stuff. In fact here is a picture of the K4 I built, painted and lettered, just to show that I am a model railroader and not a ready-to-run guy.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u407/Designer323/BowserK4_zps356f1c79.jpg

Edited by - Parts323 on December 10 2014 09:05:45 AM

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 10 2014 :  09:04:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Model railroading is a hobby. What is its purpose? Like every other hobby the purpose is recreation. When we're stuck doing something tedious, we look forward to pursuing our hobby. When we're tired from serious work, we come home to a hobby and unwind. We do what we enjoy.

Seeing the reason behind the reason lends ultimate clarity.

If a model railroader likes to buy and run expensive models, who's to say he's wrong?
If he likes to relive a childhood memory by collecting toys and keeping them original, there's no guilt in that. (At least, I have yet to find a moral theologian who says there is.)
If he likes to buy an old drab model and detail it to his own taste, that's recreation to him.
If he likes rebuilding poor-running trains to run well, more power to him.

If we start to set criteria that all must meet in order to be defined within the exalted inner circle of our hobby: 1) We come across as snobs. 2) We end up in message board flame fights.

This forum has always welcomed all the facets of the hobby with interest and humor. Let's keep an open mind and a sense of humor.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 10 2014 :  09:36:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Model railroading is a hobby. What is its purpose? Like every other hobby the purpose is recreation. When we're stuck doing something tedious, we look forward to pursuing our hobby. When we're tired from serious work, we come home to a hobby and unwind. We do what we enjoy.

Seeing the reason behind the reason lends ultimate clarity.

If a model railroader likes to buy and run expensive models, who's to say he's wrong?
If he likes to relive a childhood memory by collecting toys and keeping them original, there's no guilt in that. (At least, I have yet to find a moral theologian who says there is.)
If he likes to buy an old drab model and detail it to his own taste, that's recreation to him.
If he likes rebuilding poor-running trains to run well, more power to him.

If we start to set criteria that all must meet in order to be defined within the exalted inner circle of our hobby: 1) We come across as snobs. 2) We end up in message board flame fights.

This forum has always welcomed all the facets of the hobby with interest and humor. Let's keep an open mind and a sense of humor.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - December 10 2014 :  09:04:35 AM

And the thing is, I don't want this site ending up like the other model railroad forums where if you post a what they call "junky" locomotive or whatever, you get yelled at by them and possibly even start a whole flame war over it.This little "flame war" that we started here is just a good example of how people don't like to accept other people's opinions as you said in your post. If everyone accepted everyone else's opinions, everything would go much better on forums in general. I have no idea why accepting one's opinions is such a challenging task to a lot of people.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 10 2014 :  09:52:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:

I couple of you have stated that you have looked at my bio screen, but I guess you missed the part about me collecting Bowser Trains. As you all know, they are kits and require a lot of time and skill to assemble correctly, so lay off with the "Plunking down a lot of $$ and opening a box doesn't give me much of a thrill"
stuff. In fact here is a picture of the K4 I built, painted and lettered, just to show that I am a model railroader and not a ready-to-run guy.

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/p/221027/2442403.aspx#2442403

Originally posted by Parts323 - December 10 2014 :  08:07:53 AM

P323:

The K4 looks really great, but you don't have to prove yourself here. This isn't the Atlas or Trains forums, or r.m.r, and for heaven's sake it isn't ModelTrainsWeathered. I apologize if you think I was attacking you personally. It wasn't the intent at all. Now that I know you have spent time on the Trains forum, however, I think I can understand better how you might make that assumption.

There was a lot of hostility in those places and lots of silly posturing. Fights would break out, and then the ugly personal attacks, and then on r.m.r. things would inevitably spiral into US-New Zealand politics. I dunno why. On MTW, the atmosphere was truly toxic. I blame the Dio Sol.

It isn't like that here. If you are here, you are assumed to be a model railroader. How you do it is your own business. If you like BLI or Rapido, and can afford them, that is fine, and you will find people that share your enjoyment. But if you come out and say "the stuff you like is junk and you should feel bad", the negativity is hard for people to look past.

You don't have to battle for respect here. Respect is given out pretty freely on the Tyco forums. But please do take care to be respectful in turn. The fact is, we all KNOW what the other forums are like. There's a reason we are here and not there right now.

Now, I want you to think about another thing. Among all the reasons that you like the BLI hopper, isn't one reason this one: it speaks to you of a certain time and place in prototype railroading? Well, the Maxwell House covered hopper doesn't really do that. But it does speak of a certain time and place in *model* railroading. Tyco, AHM, Penn Line, these items all do. They are artifacts of model railroading history.

The Chattanooga Choo Choo set, powered by the PowerTorque drive, is not a great runner, but (IIRC) it was the largest selling HO train set in Tyco history, maybe in all of model railroad history. It was advertised on TV, and had a notable cultural impact in this hobby. It marks the 1970s high point of the model-railroad boom. That's one reason people want to collect it, same as an old jar or pot. A brand-new Sterilite container might store Cheerios more efficiently, but it doesn't tell that story.

And unlike, say, a pot or jar, you can play trains with the Choo Choo.

Your way is a good way. Other ways are also good ways. That's the cargo I want to convey here.

Edited by - Autobus Prime on December 10 2014 10:33:40 AM

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 10 2014 :  10:23:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Can we all take a deep breath and cool down?

Autobus - I could not have written it better, so I won't.

Eric, we enjoy ALL facets of model railroads here, as well as real railroads. High dollar, low buck 'junk' - we love it all.

We also value the easy-going, respectful background here. As you know, it's pretty rare on the good old internet.

But yes, it is give and take - if you want respect, then give it. Pretty easy really.

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 11 2014 :  12:16:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
If you just let the expensive stuff sit around in boxes and only run the crappy stuff, then why did you buy the expensive stuff in the first place? Was it because you liked it, and wanted it maybe?
Originally posted by Parts323 - December 10 2014 :  08:07:53 AM

I do like them, I just couldn't figure out how to get the boxes open.

The Tyco Depot

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - December 11 2014 :  1:42:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:

I do like them, I just couldn't figure out how to get the boxes open.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - December 11 2014 :  12:16:49 AM

Now that's funny!

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Broadway Limited Water Tower Topic Next Topic: Update to Kato Sound  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000