Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Where to find brushes?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Passenger truck spacer replacement Topic Next Topic: Rebuilding Mantua motors w rare earth magnets  

bbrizend
Switcher

Posted - November 27 2014 :  7:46:56 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add bbrizend to Buddylist
I have a Tyco Spirit of '76 locomotive that doesn't run. I've disassembled the motor and cleaned the part but I believe the issue that the brushes are worn out.

My 1st problem is that I don't know exactly what kind/size of brushes I need.

The second issue is that I don't know where/if I can get them.

Can anyone help?

The locomotive is the Alco Century 430 model/type 244.

Thanks for any assistance.

PS. Now I also need new springs cause I just lost one!

Brian

Edited by - bbrizend on November 27 2014 7:57:47 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: November 27 2014  ~  Last Visit: November 27 2014 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - November 27 2014 :  8:20:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I found that the old Aurora slot car brushes were near perfect - they're flatter and not too tall, unlike the later AF/X versions of the later cars. The diameter was also perfect. I posted this somewhere some time ago, but can't find the thread now So if you do a search on Aurora slot car brushes, and find a source, that would be the best drop-in solution for the Tyco PT motor.

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - November 27 2014 :  8:22:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Ok, here ya go :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Aurora-Thunderjet-T-Jet-500-HO-Slot-Car-CARBON-COMMUTATOR-MOTOR-BRUSHES-1960s-/161274856181

plenty of sets available, too.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 28 2014 :  7:50:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Hey Brian, Do you have a photo of the brushes? I'm certainly not an expert, but after tuning up a dozen or so Tyco-Mantua or Mantua electric motors (and some of them several times until I got it right), the problem can usually be traced to other than the brushes. Are the brushes you have resting against the armature with a little bit of tension . . . like the spring clip at the top is actually doing something? I know in the past, when I've been messing around and soldering to the post, I've ended up getting the spring and then bending the spring removing it so that the spring was not holding the brush under a bit of tension and the contact was crummy. Anyway . . .
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Passenger truck spacer replacement Topic Next Topic: Rebuilding Mantua motors w rare earth magnets  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000