Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW <> Oct. 26 - Nov. 1, 2014
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW May 17 to May 23 Topic Next Topic: LOTW May 10 - 16, 2015  

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - October 26 2014 :  03:17:57 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
My LOTW is a Texas & Rio Grande Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher with a MDC tender and a fabricated pilot.

Regards, John ***************************

My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference. <> Harry S. Truman

Edited by - JRG1951 on October 26 2014 03:18:43 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 26 2014 :  08:11:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Nice steamer, John. I like how they lettered it on a dome. Interesnting! Anyway, my power this week is gonna be traction, as in Trolley / Street car type. Been working on my collection of trolleys, trying to see what runs and what doesn't. So far, most are just bone dry and need lube and oil on bushings to get them moving again.

/tyco/forum/uploaded/amc_gremlin_gt/20141026080108_unknown_trolley.jpg

This is a VERY early Mantua trolley, pre-MU2 power, there's a website that explains the history of the Mantua trolley, apparently they bought a company making them and turned them into the Tyco product. here's a link to it :

http://traintalkbloggers.wordpress.com/tag/mantua-trolley/

Interestingly, even earlier Mantua's had the trolley poles installed, and I found one of those at the TImonium show, metal pole with springs. Unfortunately I didn't have the 15 dollars left to buy it! The one pictured here is the street car version, no hole in the top for a pole, and pre-MU2 motor. The problem with it is that it only has one-axle power pick-up per side, and Mantua realized that was a problem, it hurt sales, so they came out later with the MU-2 chassis for it. They do run better with the extra pick-up points! This one, after stubbornly refusing to run until I oiled and lubed it, runs but is rather jerky due to the power pick-up issue. But it's back under traction again after all these years. I found the name Mantua molded into the top weight after I disassembled it, it was hidden. :) Pretty neat history of the Mantua trolleys. Anyway, a rather long-winded LOTW post, hope you enjoyed it.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 26 2014 :  1:23:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
A recent buy off eBay. Bowser 4-8-2 project steamer. Won it for $42! Now to find a nice match of a tender and some detail parts and new paint.

[URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/jdboomer904/media/_5719_zps1926924f.jpg.html] [/URL]

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 26 2014 :  2:39:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
A recent buy off eBay. Bowser 4-8-2 project steamer. Won it for $42! Now to find a nice match of a tender and some detail parts and new paint.

[URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/jdboomer904/media/_5719_zps1926924f.jpg.html] [/URL]

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - October 26 2014 :  1:23:33 PM

Of course, considering that it even works.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

badman55
Big Six

badman 55

Posted - October 26 2014 :  3:13:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add badman55 to Buddylist
My locomotive contribution is this American 4-4-0 in U. P. livery from Bachmann.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 252  ~  Member Since: May 16 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 10 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 26 2014 :  3:27:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
My LOTW for this week is an LGB diesel shunter from a set made in 1981.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 26 2014 :  4:55:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
My locomotive contribution is this American 4-4-0 in U. P. livery from Bachmann.

Originally posted by badman55 - October 26 2014 :  3:13:32 PM

use the Flower Icon on yer camera for clear pix
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 26 2014 :  6:25:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My locomotive of the week is this 30 year old Hornby locomotive. Does anyone remember its name.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on October 26 2014 6:27:53 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 26 2014 :  7:03:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
That's Gordon, Frank
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 26 2014 :  8:13:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Gordon the Fast Express Engine

He is based on the Flying Scotsman type

(Thomas Nerd!)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 26 2014 :  8:14:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Gordon the Fast Express Engine

He is based on the Flying Scotsman type

(Thomas Nerd!)

Originally posted by microbusss - October 26 2014 :  8:13:08 PM

Count me in on that one!

-Steve

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 26 2014 :  9:49:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well you 3 gentlemen have named the name . Gorden. He like me is getting old and needed a place to stay. So He can stay with me for however long that may be. I hope it is a long time.
* On TV he speaks like a aristocrat. He has a fine way of speaking. Very clearly. There are times I think he is a stuffed shirt. A fuddy-duddy. His friends Thomas's common since often, keeps old Gordon out of trouble. Keeps him so to say, "On the Right Track".
* I guess that means everybody, needs somebody to keep going right. That is the point of the whole Thomas the train show. I do like that show.

PS thanks for responses !
* Gorden wants to sat goodnight. So Goodnoght.

Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 26 2014 9:53:38 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 26 2014 :  11:29:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
What version of the show do you like the most? The older ones (aka, the ones with models) or the newer ones? Personally, I like the older ones because the stories are better written and they actually used models for the characters which is pretty sweet.On top of that, I see you have a Mantua Pacific in those sheds that look just like mine. Even the same paint job!Of course, that's without looking at the rest of the locomotive.Oh, which reminds me, is there any way to find out the age of those Mantua Pacifics?I know it's kinda dumb but for some reason, I want to know. Right now, my guess is that it's from around 1956ish.
-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on November 07 2014 09:34:12 AM

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 27 2014 :  01:25:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Gordon looks pretty good sittin' on that turntable. Justin, I really like the wheels on that Bowser.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 27 2014 :  10:41:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
these old Thomas & Friends are better than the ones Bachmann has
Moving Eyes does look creepy going down the tracks

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 27 2014 :  3:33:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
these old Thomas & Friends are better than the ones Bachmann has
Moving Eyes does look creepy going down the tracks

Originally posted by microbusss - October 27 2014 :  10:41:15 AM

I would have to disagree. I actually prefer the Bachmann ones in terms of how prototypical they are to how they looked in the show. The moving eyes thing is actually kinda cool.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 28 2014 :  02:57:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Tycomania Trolley. Works like a charm.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - October 29 2014 :  12:15:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
My LOTW is this unfinished GE 44 tonner that I scratch-built when I was about 11 or 12 years of age. As I had zero budget at the time I made things out of stuff that I found laying around. In this case I found a small scrap of aluminum siding and used that for raw materials. The hood tops and cab were made of cardstock and it looks like only one remains. The time was around 1975 and I really wanted a 44 tonner like the one that I saw working at the Carodolet Coke plant in South St. Louis. The etched details were made by hand carving them in the soft aluminum with a sharp pocket knife. Never did finish the thing or build a drive for it but at the time the 44 tonner was not an easy model to find. Now that I have the experience in metalwork I think I will finish this thing off and get it running. Forty years seems like long enough for it to be in my scrap box!
Edited by - metalsmith1 on October 29 2014 12:16:13 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 30 2014 :  1:08:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
RSO loco
Possibly Tyco or AHM?

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 30 2014 :  3:20:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
RSO loco
Possibly Tyco or AHM?

Originally posted by microbusss - October 30 2014 :  1:08:04 PM

Bachmann would be my guess based on the wheels and overall chassis.

-Steve

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - October 30 2014 :  8:25:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi microbusss,

The F unit is from a tyco set.

Mytyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 30 2014 :  11:37:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Hi microbusss,

The F unit is from a tyco set.

Mytyco

Originally posted by mytyco - October 30 2014 :  8:25:08 PM

yeah the 1991-1992 Overnite Freight set
with 2 cars & a caboose

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 31 2014 :  01:53:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hey Jerry. great link about the origins of the Mantua trolley.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 31 2014 :  07:00:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW is this unfinished GE 44 tonner that I scratch-built when I was about 11 or 12 years of age. As I had zero budget at the time I made things out of stuff that I found laying around. In this case I found a small scrap of aluminum siding and used that for raw materials. The hood tops and cab were made of cardstock and it looks like only one remains. The time was around 1975 and I really wanted a 44 tonner like the one that I saw working at the Carodolet Coke plant in South St. Louis. The etched details were made by hand carving them in the soft aluminum with a sharp pocket knife. Never did finish the thing or build a drive for it but at the time the 44 tonner was not an easy model to find. Now that I have the experience in metalwork I think I will finish this thing off and get it running. Forty years seems like long enough for it to be in my scrap box

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - October 29 2014 :  12:15:06 AM

Very original form of work done there. Never tried thin aluminum. Good work .
frank

toptrain

dmoney2015
Switcher

devinbaker

Posted - May 20 2015 :  10:57:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dmoney2015 to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW is this unfinished GE 44 tonner that I scratch-built when I was about 11 or 12 years of age. As I had zero budget at the time I made things out of stuff that I found laying around. In this case I found a small scrap of aluminum siding and used that for raw materials. The hood tops and cab were made of cardstock and it looks like only one remains. The time was around 1975 and I really wanted a 44 tonner like the one that I saw working at the Carodolet Coke plant in South St. Louis. The etched details were made by hand carving them in the soft aluminum with a sharp pocket knife. Never did finish the thing or build a drive for it but at the time the 44 tonner was not an easy model to find. Now that I have the experience in metalwork I think I will finish this thing off and get it running. Forty years seems like long enough for it to be in my scrap box!

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - October 29 2014 :  12:15:06 AM
they go real fast at full power
Got one want more

devin "give me the ugly steam none of that streamlined stuff"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW May 17 to May 23 Topic Next Topic: LOTW May 10 - 16, 2015  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000