Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Custom made water slide decals
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Microbusss teaser of the week. Topic Next Topic: JOTW - Oct 19 to Oct 25, 2014  

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - October 25 2014 :  08:31:00 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Not sure if this has been posted here before. This looks like the trick for model railroaders.
http://www.beldecal.com/model_decals.cfm

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator 

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - October 25 2014 :  10:46:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
This is the same place as "decalpapers.com" that I buy from regularly- and you see my custom -made (DIY) decals on my posted projects in the Kitbashing/Customizing forum.

I recently split an order and purchased some white backround decal paper as well as the clear I normally get. There is a significant problem with the white paper- when you create a design, you either enclose it in a colored border box that you can cut along the lines of to get a good result, or you have to incrementally cut around the design itself- very hard to do, even with an exacto blade- to get the decal ready to soak and apply.

When you use clear decal paper, yellows and light reds/ light blues will show as faded colors against the body color of the car you are applying them onto, as the inkjet inks of these lighter tones become translucent against a backround color (except pure white). Black is never a problem; dark and medium blues generally also; same goes for darker reds and browns. Pastels or lighter colors (oranges, pinks, yellows) can only be applied on a white backround to be seen in their normal tone, otherwise they will show up translucent, as I mentioned. So I would stay away from the white backround decal paper, unless you have the hands of a surgeon. The clear paper is best.

I use the recommended Krylon Gloss Crystal Clear- get it at Walmart- to overcoat the decals after they have dried from the printer. I make 3-4 passes over the printed decals and let them dry overnight just to be safe.

Procedure:
1-Design decal- use the least amount of paper space possible with your designs and lettering
2-Print decal
3-Cut off (use a straight edge and make sure the cut is 90 degrees!) printed area from decal paper (you will be able to adjust your printers feed tray and use the remainder of that sheet several more times for other decal projects later on)
4- Tape the cut-off printed decal design to some scrap cardboard, let dry for at least 12 hours, then spray (3-4 passes) the printed decal paper with Krylon Gloss Crystal Clear
5- Let dry overnight (trust me on this!) after clear coating the decals!
6- Cut decal designs and/or lettering strings from decal sheet, soak 1-2 minutes in room temperature water and apply to a glossy surface.
7- Let decals dry overnight and then apply Testor's Dull-Cote and allow to dry for a few hours

That is how you obtain the results I have had, as per my posted project cars.

PM me if you have any further questions.

Siouxlake Ron

Edited by - siouxlake on October 25 2014 10:50:37 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - October 26 2014 :  03:31:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Here are a couple of examples of homemade decals. These were laser printed.

The switcher has white paper decals that have been blended with black paint around the edges.

The 4-8-4 has clear paper decals that were laid over a gold painted area. They were also blended with black paint.

Regards John ***********************

If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? <> Abraham Lincoln

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 26 2014 :  1:22:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Thank you John. I've been trying to figure out how to get white/gold/silver decals from my laserjet. Never thought to do it that way. And they really look good.
Edited by - oldtimer52 on October 26 2014 1:23:21 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Microbusss teaser of the week. Topic Next Topic: JOTW - Oct 19 to Oct 25, 2014  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000