Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW - Sept 28 to Oct 4, 2014
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW _ Oct 5 to Oct 11, 2014 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Sept 21 to Sept 27, 2014  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 28 2014 :  08:45:49 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
This is a post one, get two more free week for me. I did a BIN to get these nice all-metal 44-tonner units. Not sure who made them, but for $44, I decided it was a good enough price for these older models, as I like the smaller diesels and steam engines. I've tried two so far, and the motors try to turn, but probably need major clean-up and lube after sitting so many years. In kit form, there is lots of flashing to remove and details to attach before they will be complete. But I have time.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - September 28 2014 :  11:05:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
My guess is Model Engineering Works.
Nice, A two-pack!

Evan
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - September 28 2014 :  11:37:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
I should have said three-pack.

My loco thisc week, a Tenshodo NYC Hudson.
I think this belonged to the guy with the green and gold paint by the gallon.
Some befores and afters. This was considered a "basket case"by my pal at the LHS.
Cost me nothing but continued servicing and repairs on other pieces.
Evan
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 28 2014 :  11:51:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Nice stuff so far guys.My LOTW is yet another Thomas The Train H0 scale locomotive from Bachmann. Don't worry guys, there's a train show I'm going to next week so I'll start posting better stuff soon. I'll take pictures there too.Anyway, this Thomas The Tank item this time is a Bachmann Donald my little brother got last year.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Knights89
Little Six

Posted - September 28 2014 :  4:25:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Knights89 to Buddylist
Here is a nice set of RF-16's. I hope you like them!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 107  ~  Member Since: November 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 28 2014 :  6:34:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I definitely like them.Something about that livery honestly looks good on those engines.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on September 28 2014 6:44:57 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 28 2014 :  6:45:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Jerry, nice two-fer. That's a Lindsay motor, so they should run well with a little attention.

Evan: Ooooooo, gimmeees!!! I is uber jealous!

(Apologies for that shameless impression. )

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 28 2014 :  7:00:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Evan: Ooooooo, gimmeees!!! I is uber jealous!

(Apologies for that shameless impression. )

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - September 28 2014 :  6:45:50 PM

hehe you fine I'm the same right now

kovacste000: I wants Ben cause its my RL name
Plus I was named after a horror movie rat of the same name
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 28 2014 :  7:06:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
I had gotten the little beauty from a nice deal on Ebay. Was a 2-6-0 but the boiler was for the 4-4-0 i had gotten from the same seller. Fascinating looking at how someone else builds their locomotives. Genius use of mantua parts. A bit of a gorilla on the screws though. Uses a mantua 0-6-0 boiler and cylinders, a mantua general chassis, wheels, and rods, and the rest is scratch built. The tender is mine, looks good with the old girl. Got he appropriate detail parts coming in. Gonna look like a $300.00 engine in a short time, if i can find a way of properly gearing and motoring her first.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - September 28 2014 :  8:48:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
I think those are from Keystone.
quote:
This is a post one, get two more free week for me. I did a BIN to get these nice all-metal 44-tonner units. Not sure who made them, but for $44, I decided it was a good enough price for these older models, as I like the smaller diesels and steam engines. I've tried two so far, and the motors try to turn, but probably need major clean-up and lube after sitting so many years. In kit form, there is lots of flashing to remove and details to attach before they will be complete. But I have time.

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - September 28 2014 :  08:45:49 AM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

waw47
Hudson

Posted - September 28 2014 :  10:21:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
As Evan stated, the 44 toners were produced by MEW.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - September 29 2014 :  12:09:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
I had gotten the little beauty from a nice deal on Ebay. Was a 2-6-0 but the boiler was for the 4-4-0 i had gotten from the same seller. Fascinating looking at how someone else builds their locomotives. Genius use of mantua parts. A bit of a gorilla on the screws though. Uses a mantua 0-6-0 boiler and cylinders, a mantua general chassis, wheels, and rods, and the rest is scratch built. The tender is mine, looks good with the old girl. Got he appropriate detail parts coming in. Gonna look like a $300.00 engine in a short time, if i can find a way of properly gearing and motoring her first.

Originally posted by LGLrr845 - September 28 2014 :  7:06:02 PM

I've got to ask, do you have an idea of what specific loco the previous owner was aiming at building? I see a Belpaire firebox, a high headlight, and I get ideas...

I suggest this turn into a PRR D16sb

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 29 2014 :  12:20:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
I knew what the engine was when I saw it. I will be building 1223 or one of her sister engines if i can't find the pin striping.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 29 2014 :  09:31:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I thought that thing looked awfully familiar in terms of design.
-Steve

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 29 2014 :  12:28:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Jerry

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - September 28 2014 :  8:48:40 PM

They are by Model Engineering Works. MEW. I have had and sold a few of them in the past. They are of good quality, but the drive mech is pretty poor and a little difficult to repower.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 29 2014 :  12:44:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW is a very early and very rare (and I do not use that term lightly) George Stock sand cast brass GG1.

The paint on this model is near perfect but the decals show some wear. I think this is likely a model that dates no later than 1937.

I have one other brass version in my collection. This one differs from that one is a few ways which makes me think it is of one of the earliest production pieces... It is smooth with no molded on (cut-out) louvers, marker lights, and PRR Keystone plates. The pilot decks have more rounded cow catchers and the nose of the shell is thicker. Other than that, the tops of drive mechanisms are stamped/engraved with the dotted STOCK name.

Here is the other brass one I have...

I also have one with an aluminum shell. All other versions I have ever seen have been brass. I think this one will look stunning all polished up in bare aluminum and clear coated!

It is my understanding, only about 100 units total were ever produced up until 1946.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!

Edited by - Mustangs_n_Trains on September 29 2014 12:46:05 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - September 29 2014 :  1:24:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
That is a hard act to follow, Sean! But here is my LOTW, an Athearn BN F45 I picked up in Wildwood NJ for $10.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 29 2014 :  2:31:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A old brass Baldwin Centerpied.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 29 2014 :  2:32:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Some nice vintage equipment here. I really dig seeing folks tune up the older stuff and bring it to life again.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 29 2014 :  2:36:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Some nice vintage equipment here. I really dig seeing folks tune up the older stuff and bring it to life again.
Originally posted by Barry - September 29 2014 :  2:32:33 PM

yes I agree
& Google Earthing the old addresses fun too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 29 2014 :  6:38:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barry - September 29 2014 :  2:32:33 PM

yes I agree
& Google Earthing the old addresses fun too

Originally posted by microbusss - September 29 2014 :  2:36:30 PM

I do the same thing as you do, Microbusss.Honestly, yesterday I just typed in Mantua's address to and found some old shipping factory or something.

-Steve

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - September 29 2014 :  8:19:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
These make me want to cast one of my own.So does that GG-1
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jerry

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - September 28 2014 :  8:48:40 PM

They are by Model Engineering Works. MEW. I have had and sold a few of them in the past. They are of good quality, but the drive mech is pretty poor and a little difficult to repower.

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - September 29 2014 :  12:28:26 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - September 29 2014 :  8:20:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
A TRUE classic!
quote:
That is a hard act to follow, Sean! But here is my LOTW, an Athearn BN F45 I picked up in Wildwood NJ for $10.

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - September 29 2014 :  1:24:55 PM

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 30 2014 :  08:55:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
A old brass Baldwin Centerpied.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - September 29 2014 :  2:31:09 PM

C L loco Frank!

Sean

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 30 2014 :  08:57:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:

Mike, Great acquisition! I love it when I pick up someone else's abandoned projects. The quest to figure out what they were trying to make is sometimes pretty fun!

Sean

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - September 30 2014 :  8:49:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
My LOTW....

A Tyco F7 from Australia.... IIRC New-South Wales RR.

Edited by - AF Kid on October 01 2014 08:20:01 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - September 30 2014 :  9:43:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Mike, Great acquisition! I love it when I pick up someone else's abandoned projects. The quest to figure out what they were trying to make is sometimes pretty fun!

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - September 30 2014 :  08:57:59 AM

On a few of the partly-done cars and crap I've compulsively taken home, I've gotten the feeling that the only thing the previous owner was trying to make, was a headache for ME!

That aside, very true.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 01 2014 :  12:54:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Remarkable pieces. Now I learn that Tyco was making for
Australian market!! What other continents, nations, were
they making Tyco for??? Wow!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 01 2014 :  10:08:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 01 2014 :  12:54:01 AM

just Australia
With NSW & QR locos
Yet none of the Tyco locos were actually used in Australia
Oh the had F7s yes but they had cabs on either end

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - October 01 2014 :  11:21:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist

This S12 project came together rather quickly. I needed a shell and found this one on eBay from a seller we all know quite well around here:) I'm going to some work to it but nothing major.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 01 2014 :  1:54:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist

Sean

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 01 2014 :  6:24:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 01 2014 :  12:54:01 AM

just Australia

Originally posted by microbusss - October 01 2014 :  10:08:52 AM

Don't forget Canada, as some models didn't get sold down here in the USA market, although they're easier to get than ones from Australia.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - October 02 2014 :  12:05:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
The Model Power version of Mantua's GP-20 in Burlington Northern colors!

Pretty nice runner from what I can see, but it's not DCC-ready. I can probably do a hardwire job though, like my Walthers Dash-8s. Anyone know a good decoder I could try to put one in? (like maybe one of Bachmann's?)

Oooh, LED lighting!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - October 02 2014 :  12:15:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Not a fan of the F9, but I really dig the color combination of this set from down under!
Now all I need is the VR F9, Caboose, and the QR switcher and I will be done with the Australian TYCO.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 02 2014 :  7:17:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Not a fan of the F9, but I really dig the color combination of this set from down under!
Now all I need is the VR F9, Caboose, and the QR switcher and I will be done with the Australian TYCO.

Originally posted by GG-1 Guy - October 02 2014 :  12:15:37 AM

I honestly don't blame you for liking that because I like it too.

-Steve

Previous Topic: LOTW _ Oct 5 to Oct 11, 2014 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Sept 21 to Sept 27, 2014  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000