Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Are those Tyco/Mantua Pacifics good engines?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua Steam Drivers Gauge Adjust? Topic Next Topic: Mantua 4 Wheel Caboose . . .
Page: of 2

richard p
Little Six

Posted - December 15 2014 :  09:36:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
Well said PRR 4800. Actually if the pilot ever does brake or disintegrate the plastic one is a perfect replacement so even then all is not lost.
rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 15 2014 :  09:40:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Well said PRR 4800. Actually if the pilot ever does brake or disintegrate the plastic one is a perfect replacement so even then all is not lost.

Originally posted by richard p - December 15 2014 :  09:36:30 AM

The only issue with that is that the pilots go for quite a bit of money due to demand nowadays. Seriously, some of the prices they sell for are insane.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 27 2014 :  12:34:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Anyway, I went online today and found a forum post about someone suffering a zinc pest problem with a Bowser 4-6-0. For some reason, this started making me think about my Mantua Pacific, especially when I found this photo I took a while back of the base of the tender.

Basically what I'm trying to ask is; does my Pacific have zinc pest according to the above photo?

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 29 2014 :  10:54:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Is there something specific in the photo you're referring to? It's not a closeup, but if there were mild zinc rot you'd find hairline cracks, distortion of the parts, and screw holes that didn't line up anymore. The only reason I mentioned it was because of the frame I have, but the wheel centers on mine swelled and distorted but never let go of the axles. If anything they're on tighter. I consider it a pretty rare example for Mantua.

Your problem was probably a combination of age, use, insufficient knurling on the axle, etc.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 29 2014 :  11:01:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Is there something specific in the photo you're referring to? It's not a closeup, but if there were mild zinc rot you'd find hairline cracks, distortion of the parts, and screw holes that didn't line up anymore. The only reason I mentioned it was because of the frame I have, but the wheel centers on mine swelled and distorted but never let go of the axles. If anything they're on tighter. I consider it a pretty rare example for Mantua.

Your problem was probably a combination of age, use, insufficient knurling on the axle, etc.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - December 29 2014 :  10:54:40 PM

The thing I was pointing to is right on the tender base around the slot where the screw and the wire goes in. It kinda looks corroded or something although I'm not sure.

-Steve

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 30 2014 :  12:25:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Nope, it just looks like paint rubs or a rough casting. A little white corrosion on diecast is also normal with age & moisture. There's no corrosion in zinc rot, the casting just reacts and explodes from inside.

Here's an example in an auction photo for an old Rivarossi Lionel C-Liner. The truck frame has expanded and bowed downward because of the brass bottom cover, and a chunk where the sideframe mounted fell out. Every example of these I've seen has swelled enough so that the screw holes in the bottom plate don't line up exactly; sometimes they need filing. Notice how it's riddled with cracks.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on December 30 2014 12:45:38 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 30 2014 :  01:14:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Huh, thanks for the info, NickelPlate.I just didn't want to have to deal with yet another issue after it gets back.Also, it was just a little bit of paranoia or something like that.
-Steve

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - December 30 2014 :  6:13:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
Zinc pest, straining to be free of it's confinement!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 30 2014 :  6:34:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by PGE33 - December 30 2014 :  6:13:44 PM

freee ussssssssssss

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 30 2014 :  7:17:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by PGE33 - December 30 2014 :  6:13:44 PM

It looks more like someone took a sledgehammer and hit it really hard a couple of times.I would hate to see someone doing that to my model railroad equipment.

-Steve

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 30 2014 :  8:34:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Thats what happened to my Auto Train loco
Good thing I got a chassis for it sans purple trucks
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 10 2015 :  10:59:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
The magnificent old girl has returned from the shops at last and she runs almost like silk. No replacements needed; just the wheel needed to be adjusted and a new wire.Here she is now.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on January 10 2015 11:00:25 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 11 2015 :  12:26:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Aw, darn. They got rid of the vintage cloth wire.

I'm sure you're glad to have her back, though. You won't find a loco that's more reliable and easier to work on than these guys.

Btw, if you want another example of zinc rot I found one of the worst cases I've ever seen. This was a Rivarossi Consolidation. The tender floor and lead truck on most of these fell apart, but this one's turning to powder.

The Tyco Depot

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 11 2015 :  12:17:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Since you've seen to have forgotten, the original wire was the one that started the problem to begin with. It broke off to the point where it was useless. And about the consolidation; gosh, that looks absolutely horrible. It's actually kinda sad to see it in such sad and hopeless shape.What is that orange thing in the tender, though? Is that more zinc rot or something?
-Steve

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 12 2015 :  5:57:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Just because the lug broke off doesn't make it unusable, unless it's become brittle or too short to reach. I think the old cloth wiring is cool, so I try to keep things original if possible.

That's a block of foam in the tender that was there to absorb motor noise. It's no doubt hardened and turning to dust.

The Tyco Depot

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 12 2015 :  8:20:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Just because the lug broke off doesn't make it unusable, unless it's become brittle or too short to reach. I think the old cloth wiring is cool, so I try to keep things original if possible.

That's a block of foam in the tender that was there to absorb motor noise. It's no doubt hardened and turning to dust.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - January 12 2015 :  5:57:54 PM

The part that goes on the tender also broke off. I have pictures somewhere of it I believe so I'll try to post them when I find them.

-Steve

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 12 2015 :  8:48:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - January 12 2015 :  5:57:54 PM

The part that goes on the tender also broke off. I have pictures somewhere of it I believe so I'll try to post them when I find them.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - January 12 2015 :  8:20:28 PM

Nope, can't find them.Oh, and I meant the little ring thing that went on the tender broke off too. Too bad we threw it out months ago.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on January 12 2015 8:49:24 PM
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Mantua Steam Drivers Gauge Adjust? Topic Next Topic: Mantua 4 Wheel Caboose . . .  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000