Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW August 17 - August 23
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW August 24 - August 30 Topic Next Topic: Whistle stop . . .  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 17 2014 :  11:28:50 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
My LOTW this week is a Bachmann Thomas range "Emily" based off of a GNR single wheeler from England. Before I show you the model, here's the prototype.

Now here's the model of the Thomas The Tank character I have. (I actually borrowed it from my little brother's room and we also use this loco at train shows.)

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on August 17 2014 3:29:24 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - August 17 2014 :  1:00:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
I was given this unknown mfr.brass Niagara as a "project" on Friday at the LHS.
It is possibly a Tetsudo.
It's missing mostly specific screws, which should be fun to hunt down.
Fully repaired or not, I will NOT strip this one!
The lettering is beautifully etched on the brass.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 17 2014 :  2:56:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Those Brits really knew how to make a train.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11211  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 17 2014 :  3:20:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
most likely a united/pfm or lmb brass loco ken

Edited by - catfordken on August 17 2014 3:22:16 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 17 2014 :  3:27:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Those Brits really knew how to make a train.

Originally posted by Chops124 - August 17 2014 :  2:56:45 PM

Well, if you really think about it, the British were the ones that invented the steam locomotive.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - August 17 2014 :  7:41:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
My LOTW is a P2K Chessie GP30.
When I got it the axle gears were cracked and the gear lube was set up like dried caulk. Runs great now.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 17 2014 :  7:59:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Well, if you really think about it, the British were the ones that invented the steam locomotive.
Originally posted by kovacste000 - August 17 2014 :  3:27:47 PM

[/quote]
True even the 1st locos in USA were made in England

Wasn't Emily locos a Broad gauge tho?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 17 2014 :  9:39:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by kovacste000 - August 17 2014 :  3:27:47 PM

True even the 1st locos in USA were made in England

Wasn't Emily locos a Broad gauge tho?

Originally posted by microbusss - August 17 2014 :  7:59:58 PM

[/quote]i believe so. That raises some questions about Thomas the tank engine. How can Emily run on the same track that Thomas and the gang run on? Are they all broad gauge too?Ah, kids show logic.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 17 2014 :  11:15:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
How can Emily run on the same track that Thomas and the gang run on? Are they all broad gauge too?
Originally posted by kovacste000 - August 17 2014 :  9:39:32 PM

The universe is expanding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre.
By the time Thomas the tank engine was built, 4'-8.5" had grown to the size that 5' had been way back when Emily was built.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 18 2014 :  12:02:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
How can Emily run on the same track that Thomas and the gang run on? Are they all broad gauge too?
Originally posted by kovacste000 - August 17 2014 :  9:39:32 PM

The universe is expanding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre.
By the time Thomas the tank engine was built, 4'-8.5" had grown to the size that 5' had been way back when Emily was built.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - August 17 2014 :  11:15:28 PM

Yeah. Not to mention the fact that Emily is a very old engine but they never mention that at all. In fact, they treat her like a newer built locomotive class. Thomas the tank is such a strange show, I'm telling ya.

-Steve

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - August 18 2014 :  10:45:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW this week is a Bachmann Thomas range "Emily" based off of a GNR single wheeler from England. Before I show you the model, here's the prototype.

Now here's the model of the Thomas The Tank character I have. (I actually borrowed it from my little brother's room and we also use this loco at train shows.)

Originally posted by kovacste000 - August 17 2014 :  11:28:50 AM

I can probably credit Thomas the train with getting me interested in trains at a very young age (the place I lived at the time had virtually no railroads of any kind). I started with the wooden trains, and then "graduated" to an entry level Life-Like Santa Fe train set)
Though looking back on it, most of the stories seem quite silly, but I still think the detailed modeling used on the TV show was amazing.

It looks like some of the Bachmann Thomas trains could be easily transformed into more prototypical UK locomotives, if you removed the faces and repainted them.

ChessieRR
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 18 2014 :  11:09:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by kovacste000 - August 17 2014 :  11:28:50 AM

I can probably credit Thomas the train with getting me interested in trains at a very young age (the place I lived at the time had virtually no railroads of any kind). I started with the wooden trains, and then "graduated" to an entry level Life-Like Santa Fe train set)
Though looking back on it, most of the stories seem quite silly, but I still think the detailed modeling used on the TV show was amazing.

It looks like some of the Bachmann Thomas trains could be easily transformed into more prototypical UK locomotives, if you removed the faces and repainted them.

ChessieRR

Originally posted by ChessieRR - August 18 2014 :  10:45:38 AM

There's actually people who've done that and they turned out pretty good.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 19 2014 :  02:23:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

I've had a lot of fun with this vintage AHM Krauss-Mauffei. At first she seemed
dead as a door nail, but with a drop of oil and a little cleaning of wheels, she
roared back to life. Noticing she matched Dutch Maid Tyco colors, she found
new purpose and life on this Southwestern Layout. The link is for a short, hopefully
entertaining video, of her going through her paces. One of my favorite vids, to date.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvdbN2e9_Cg
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11211  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - August 19 2014 :  02:32:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Great video, love the music selection. It looks like the old KM is a pretty good runner.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 19 2014 :  10:41:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Awesome loco, Chops. It looks just like the one in a 1966 model railroad plan book except in a different livery.
-Steve

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 19 2014 :  11:19:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
good vid & the AHM KM RG is on my want list too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - August 19 2014 :  12:58:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW is an O scale House Of Duddy aluminum, cast zimax and brass GG1 electric locomotive:

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - August 20 2014 :  12:10:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
My LOTW is a Proto 2000 E-8 in Mopac Eagle colors.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW August 24 - August 30 Topic Next Topic: Whistle stop . . .  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000