Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 Mystery dry ice car
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mystery???? Topic Next Topic: drive couplers  

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - August 09 2014 :  7:26:59 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
I got this car in the latest batch of loot from my pal David's train shop.
The Railhead.
Kit seems to be wood with metal underframe and brake rigging.
The skin is either paper or foil, lettering is printed on.
Any guesses or learned opinions?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator 

waw47
Hudson

Posted - August 10 2014 :  02:05:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
Laconia
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 10 2014 :  07:23:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Laconia
Originally posted by waw47 - August 10 2014 :  02:05:41 AM

"Laconia," he answered laconically.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - August 10 2014 :  11:19:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Laconia-Binkley Mathieson Dry Ice Car.

The prototype cars were built by ACF in 1933 for service hauling dry ice out of Saltville, VA on the N&W. The metal underframe is totally not original - these were cardboard-side and wood cars. In any case, to complete it you will need to add ladders like so:

They replaced Mathieson's fleet of silver-painted OB wooden reefers. These were produced in HO by Ambroid - I have a spare one that someone else assembled about 75%, in box with most parts, that I'd sell if you're interested in building a fleet of dry ice cars.

Other dry ice reefer models in HO scale include a Varney rendition of a similar car built for the Liquid Carbonic Corp. with center doors and inside conveyor belts instead of 8 doors per side:

And a Red Ball ATSF dry ice reefer. The December 1940 issue of Model Railroader ran a special advertisement for Red Ball freight cars, a paperboard insert with a pair of printed car sides for this car as a "Christmas Gift" from Red Ball. The normal kit form is shown here, but all the prototype photos I know I've seen on the net appear to have vanished.

I've found all of the above cars, but am too lazy to dig them out for pictures. In addition, I know SOMEONE has made a model of this car but I can find no information on it:

Also, Train Miniature made a double-sheathed version of a Mathieson car, however they never owned any of this type of reefer.

I'll shut up now. Hopefully I haven't bored anyone to death, and perhaps you'll find some more of these interesting, rarely found cars! Sincerely, the resident Dry Ice Reefer expert

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 11 2014 :  9:47:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Speaking of Trains Miniature and dry ice:

I got this one for Christmas about 40 years ago, give or take a few.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - August 12 2014 :  12:06:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
Great replies, guys.
I did find the site refering to the prototypes, but somehow missed the model under Laconia in HOSeeker. Found some very nice modern kits.
Now I'll have to make ladders, etc. (Yay, another project)

Thanks all.
Evan
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 12 2014 :  08:32:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hey Connor you show a unbuilt red ball dry ice car in a ATSF road name. Here is one by a company named RAILWAY MODELS. I have it in its box. One of a group of 4 different cars made by Railway Models.
Also the Trainminiature Mathieson car is my photo, taken on my layout. I don't mind you using it just give me credit for the photo. It adds to you collection of information, in a very informative response to the posts request. Just give me some credit.
Frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on August 17 2014 6:03:58 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - August 12 2014 :  12:17:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Connor you show a unbuilt red ball dry ice car in a ATSF road name. Here is one by a company named RAILWAY MODELS. I have it in its box. One of a group of 4 different cars made by Railway Models.
Also the Trainminiature Mathieson car is my photo, taken on my layout. I don't mind you using it. It adds to you collection of information, in a very informative response to the posts request. Just give me some credit.
Frank

Originally posted by toptrain - August 12 2014 :  08:32:59 AM

I had forgotten about those. Sunshine also made some urethane kits for these reefers, from what I've heard they're NOT fun to assemble.
And sorry about that :( I'd just taken that one straight from google... should've recognized your layout!

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 12 2014 :  1:16:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Yep Connors if you checked the page you'de have seen toptrain. As to building one you detail the floor bottom, glue inside wood end pieces on, fasten the 4 walls to what you put together, then put a roof on it. Add the roof detail, ladders, trucks, couplers, and whatever else you got and what's left is a dry ice car.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on August 12 2014 1:21:15 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - August 14 2014 :  06:19:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Varney also had a short-lived cardstock and wood kit for a dry ice car in 1947.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - August 17 2014 :  1:46:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
PGE33

I got 2 of these with the ladders. Never knew who made them

Leo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - August 17 2014 :  11:05:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
Varney also had a short-lived cardstock and wood kit for a dry ice car in 1947.

Originally posted by lvrr325 - August 14 2014 :  06:19:50 AM

That's the liquid carbonic car... a nice model, but they missed the roof cant (the prototype matched the mathieson car's shape, but only Laconia got it right). Mine looks like crap ATM before I repaint the roof and frame.

--CRC

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 19 2014 :  10:01:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Great documentation on these dry ice cars. Nice collection of cars.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Mystery???? Topic Next Topic: drive couplers  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000