Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Hobbytown/Cary E6 build
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 2 Tyco Cabooses Topic Next Topic: My various MOW cabooses  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 05 2014 :  12:56:03 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
I started this project about 6 years ago, and finally finished! I always liked the look of the ATSF E6A, so I decided to build one.

I used an hold Hobbytown E unit chassis and one of the last E6 bodies made by Cary. Here's what the chassis looked like before I started:

I wasn't happy with how the gears looked, so I modified the truck frame to move them inside.

Of course, separating the truck frame here meant I had to add an extra screw to hold it together. I missed the first time with the drill, but my second try went well and holds the front of the truck together perfectly!

I was also having trouble with the original U-shaped axle bearings binding, so I replaced them with brass tube, which improved the free-rolling capability significantly.

The original plastic and brass wheels were ugly and over-sized at 40 scale inches. Fortunately, Intermountain 36" freight car wheels were a near perfect fit on the Hobbytown axles! I just had to file the backs a bit to get them in gauge.

I replaced the original DC90 with a high end coreless motor. The first one I tried turned out to be way too fast, but the second one works perfect for this chassis! I also added a large flywheel and good universals. Once it was running the way I wanted, the whole chassis was then painted silver.

I also added a diode for directional lighting, and made some simple plugs for the headlight so could remove the body more easily. I also added some hand-bent lift rings to the body, and made the long grab irons.

I then went on to fail twice while painting the body, which discouraged me enough to put it in the project backlog for over 4 years. I finally decided to give it another try this year, and this time, I got it done right!

I used some very OLD Microscale decals to finish it, and it was a miracle that they worked so well! I also added some etched windshield wipers that were leftover from a Stewart kit. The paint is Scalecoat II, and it's finished with Model Master semi-gloss lacquer.

This was a really tough project, and I'm glad it's finally finished! It's a great runner, and I think it came out looking great too! It's going to be a very long time before I do another Warbonnet, though!

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 05 2014 :  1:53:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
That's a nice-looking engine. I don't know if the full-size ones ever looked that sharp. Your hard work paid off. As for the drives, I'm curious about some things:
1) That shaft on the flywheel and the motor shaft look pretty big around. Is that the true size of those shafts or did you put some sort of sleeve on them?
2) I've never seen the kind of universals you used made of metal, before, but the ones between the motor and flywheel appear to be metal. Did you make them, or are those a commercially available product?
3) Those helical gears on the axle and drive shaft look like you could propel the shaft from the axles as well as the axles from the shaft. Can that drive coast a little?

Again, great model!

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 05 2014 :  3:01:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Yes, I did sleeve the shafts. The motor had a 1.5mm shaft which I accidentally broke, but I was able to fit a piece of brass tube to what was left.

The metal universal came from an old Tenshodo GP20. I used it because it's secured by set screws instead of pressure, so I wouldn't risk damaging the motor shaft further.

The drive can coast quite a bit! That's one neat thing about Hobbytown drives. Their wormless design makes it so you can turn the motor by pushing the engine (so long as everything is working nice and free). That combined with the coreless motor and 1" flywheel make it a smooth runner and long coaster. My power pack actually supplies a tiny bit of reverse voltage as a safety measure, so there's no more than a couple inches of coasting if I cut the power on my layout.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 05 2014 :  3:07:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
What do you do with the old motors?
Real cool btw
I like the Sante Fe logo "shutters" around the windows
Will remember that
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - July 07 2014 :  5:00:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
Darth

What motors did you use ( the one that ran too fast and the current one )

Also how did you make the plugs for the headlight?

Leo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - July 07 2014 :  5:29:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
That is one fine looking locomotive,nice work!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 07 2014 :  6:21:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
It's so good, I can't even tell it's a kitbash.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 07 2014 :  7:47:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Thanks everyone!

microbusss, I set them aside unless I find another use for them.

babuff, both were surplus coreless motors from Microlocomotion. The one that was too fast was a 9-pole Maxon motor which turned out to be 6V. I found another use for that one, where it works much better. The one I'm using now is a 12V motor from Canon. The headlight plugs are made from brass tube and heavy gauge wire, which was squeezed slightly for a light press fit.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 07 2014 :  10:22:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Great stuff Darth. It's good motivation to read how you overcome obstacles. Beautiful paint work.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 08 2014 :  5:52:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Neat job as usual, Darth. That flywheel is a beast... is it off the rack, or one you turned yourself?

Also, why didn't you like the gear tower facing forward? Was the gearing visible on curves?

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 08 2014 :  9:28:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
The flywheel is from NWSL. They actually make them even bigger than that for O gauge!

The gears were plainly visible behind the narrow pilot, so in this case, moving them inside helped it to look much better. Now on my Hobbytown PA-1 with external gearing, it's more hidden behind the ladders in back, so I don't mind how those look.

Edited by - Darth Santa Fe on July 08 2014 9:29:10 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 09 2014 :  01:49:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

The gears were plainly visible behind the narrow pilot, so in this case, moving them inside helped it to look much better.

Originally posted by Darth Santa Fe - July 08 2014 :  9:28:43 PM

I'd take the easy way out and hide them behind a mustache.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 26 2020 :  6:38:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:

I started this project about 6 years ago, and finally finished! I always liked the look of the ATSF E6A, so I decided to build one.

This was a really tough project, and I'm glad it's finally finished! It's a great runner, and I think it came out looking great too!

Originally posted by Darth Santa Fe - July 05 2014 :  12:56:03 PM

Beautiful Santa Fe unit.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: 2 Tyco Cabooses Topic Next Topic: My various MOW cabooses  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000