Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Switching Layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Sculptamold  OR What Do You Use? Topic Next Topic: Siouxlake Ron''s Layout Images-2nd Try  

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - July 01 2014 :  7:30:30 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Just wanted to post my little shelf/switching layout. It's a bit similar to a "timesaver" plan. The whole thing measures eight inches by six feet. Track wires lead to a connector in the framing, so a power pack can easily be attached. The framing is 1x3 with quarter inch plywood topped with half-inch homasote. All track is Peco flex with power-routing turnouts, so no block wiring. I may build another six foot section to add to the left end as a staging yard. Here in Texas during the summer I can have this inside when the garage is too hot for the big layout. Chris
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 01 2014 :  7:56:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
garage too hot?
Ever thought of oh idk a Window A/C with a few fans in there?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 01 2014 :  8:14:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I love switching layouts!I apologize, I got a little excited there.The reason why I like switching layouts is because they're not just a circle of track where the train goes around and around on it although those are fine too, they're more "realistic" and slightly more challenging therefore being more fun to run trains on.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - July 01 2014 :  9:33:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
MB, If only I had a window in the garage, or if the walls weren't brick, your idea would have been acted upon years ago! Fans do help, as does keeping the garage door closed. When money starts growing on trees, I'll just leave the kitchen-garage door open to get the a/c! The record for my area is 60 days in a row over 100 degrees, with a high of 113. Summers can be fun !
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 02 2014 :  10:22:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Cool idea Adams. I just came across a 1979 Tyco Model Railroad Manual that has some great ideas for shelf and switching layouts and interestingly, some great tech tips that remain relevant today.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - July 02 2014 :  3:45:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
garage too hot?
Ever thought of oh idk a Window A/C with a few fans in there?

Originally posted by microbusss - July 01 2014 :  7:56:19 PM

Key word is not A/C or fans, it's insulation. I built my layout in the garage a few summers ago. Got two window units and a big fan, was workable in the mornings and evenings but when the sun was on the roof it acted like a huge heat radiator. An insulated ceiling would have worked wonders but they do cost some $$$.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - July 02 2014 :  6:39:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Barry--Yes, I like those old sources. I have the Tyco Layout Expander and a Tyco Catalog that have track plans--none of mine have switching layouts, though. One of my favorite shelf/switching plans was in a '67 Model Railroader, called the Iron Mountain line. Hope I'm not breaking any copyrights here!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - July 07 2014 :  5:32:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
Adams

I had a " time saver" layout in the 50's and loved it. Living in an apartment and limited to a corner of the living room, it was the only thing I could use. You have inspired me to build another one. I may integrate the the Iron mountain plan to it

As for the garage, here in northern New England I have the opposite problem with temps going to -10 to -15 degrees.

Thanks for the inspiration
Leo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 07 2014 :  5:56:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Key word is not A/C or fans, it's insulation. I built my layout in the garage a few summers ago. Got two window units and a big fan, was workable in the mornings and evenings but when the sun was on the roof it acted like a huge heat radiator. An insulated ceiling would have worked wonders but they do cost some $$$.
Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - July 02 2014 :  3:45:03 PM

or do what I had my dad do
he cut square holes in my house & added a louver screen things on them
that way the heat escapes out the attic
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - July 07 2014 :  6:54:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

or do what I had my dad do
he cut square holes in my house & added a louver screen things on them
that way the heat escapes out the attic

Originally posted by microbusss - July 07 2014 :  5:56:54 PM

We had one of those setups in the house growing up. Worked pretty well, too - had a constant flow of air and cooled the attic down at the same time.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Sculptamold  OR What Do You Use? Topic Next Topic: Siouxlake Ron''s Layout Images-2nd Try  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000