Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 cars or locos you hate
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Enough Topic Next Topic: .
Page: of 2

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 31 2014 :  8:56:43 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey I just thought since we is doing a a favorite Tyco cars
What is the car &/or locos you hate absolutely?
Any car or loco is ok Does not have to be Tyco
Can be unprotoypical, doesn't run right, etc etc

Post pics, reason you hate it & why its in your collection
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator 

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 31 2014 :  9:08:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
AHM/Rivarossi 2-8-8-2 Articulated

Reason: I got one. Unused in box, full paperwork. FOR FREE in a box of other stuff.

Took it apart. Can't get it back together.

Kicking myself to this day for having done something so stupid.

(image obviously not mine, scalped from ebay)

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - March 31 2014 :  9:27:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Hey PRR,
How much do you want for the 2-8-8-2? I might buy it, pieces and all. I promise not to part it out.

The locos I hate are not in my collection. If they don't look right or run right, I make them right.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 31 2014 :  11:36:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
SEE? this IS a good idea for a subject
I'll bet loco has a stupid yet easy problem with it

ok, NC shortlines but we wanna see it in RUNNING order
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 01 2014 :  12:12:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
SEE? this IS a good idea for a subject REALLY??

Originally posted by microbusss - March 31 2014 :  11:36:37 PM

Leave it to MicroBen to create a subject of HATE.
That word is so final. There's nothing about the hobby that I "hate"...

In the mid 70s, I was not happy that the new Life-Like Crane I had bought, did not pull well. I didn't hate it, I placed it on a side track by my cabinet factory.. In 2001, I bought its replacement.

I was also not thrilled that my Tyco Santa Fe piggyback trailers moved around on their flat car. So what did I do in the last few years? I bought over 50 Tyco piggyback flat cars w/trailers...

I just Can't find hate in my hobby(s)

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - April 01 2014 :  12:28:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Bachmann Pan Cake Motor 2-8-2. Loved the look and hated the drive train.

Ran like a ruptured duck. New motor, tuned and lubed. in less than an hour it again acted like a ruptured duck. White pan cake motor was poor design.

Regards John ******

I admire Lance Armstrong for winning 7 Tour de France races while doing drugs.
When I do drugs I can't find my bike. <> Willie Nelson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - April 01 2014 :  12:59:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
True that!!^^ Have one of those. Replaced 2 axles, full running gear rebuild, still not a great runner. Oh well
I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 01 2014 :  6:19:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
I don't have anything that I hate either. And if there has been anything I really didn't care for it has been sold or traded.
But if there IS something in the model train world I don't care for it has to be the TV show/Super Hero themed trainsets. I guess from a pure collectible viewpoint I can see it, but other than that....I don't get it.
I mean...I lose it when I try to think of the operations and all that. What if there is a freight train already occupying the route that the A-Team needs to take? Do they call up the dispatcher and demand priority routing? And don't they think it's a little counterproductive to have "A'Team" emblazoned all over their rolling stock? Sorry Micro-B

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 01 2014 :  6:43:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Oh man. I'm not sure on this one. So many bad locos that are saved by a few good qualities.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - April 01 2014 :  6:59:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
I dislike Rivarossi rod assemblies. Could be simplified so much. Also their drive trains are a problem.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 01 2014 :  7:34:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
I don't have anything that I hate either. And if there has been anything I really didn't care for it has been sold or traded.
But if there IS something in the model train world I don't care for it has to be the TV show/Super Hero themed trainsets. I guess from a pure collectible viewpoint I can see it, but other than that....I don't get it.
I mean...I lose it when I try to think of the operations and all that. What if there is a freight train already occupying the route that the A-Team needs to take? Do they call up the dispatcher and demand priority routing? And don't they think it's a little counterproductive to have "A'Team" emblazoned all over their rolling stock? Sorry Micro-B

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - April 01 2014 :  6:19:39 PM

I agree totally.... Don't like super hero anything! Way too corny
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 01 2014 :  7:41:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I dislike Rivarossi rod assemblies. Could be simplified so much. Also their drive trains are a problem.

Originally posted by LGLrr845 - April 01 2014 :  6:59:11 PM

What's wrong with the Rivarossis? I have a Rivarossi 4-4-0 that I got for $35 that works beautifully.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - April 01 2014 :  7:55:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Can't really think of a car or loco I hate... pretty much everything can be kitbashed, detailed and weathered into submission.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - April 01 2014 :  10:13:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
If it's high geared or won't pull well as a frieghter, off it goes! Rivarossi makes a tricky steamer to work on at times depending on the job. Still great stuff though. I don't like Mehano/Yugo engines or Life Like train set stuff like there track and Bachmann ez-track turn-outs.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 01 2014 :  10:21:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Can't really think of a car or loco I hate... pretty much everything can be kitbashed, detailed and weathered into submission.

Originally posted by Redwoods - April 01 2014 :  7:55:52 PM

I like your philosophy Redwoods

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 02 2014 :  01:12:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I knows what I hate & that is the Tyco Power Torque motors
Also the smell of motors running ewww
Dumb thing is about the PTs is I'm fixing them
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - April 02 2014 :  01:14:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by LGLrr845 - April 01 2014 :  6:59:11 PM

What's wrong with the Rivarossis? I have a Rivarossi 4-4-0 that I got for $35 that works beautifully.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - April 01 2014 :  7:41:24 PM

All the bearings and washers on the rods and valve gear. And the placement of motor on the larger engines are strange and difficult to get a motor that fits right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 02 2014 :  5:02:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I don't find old Rivarossi difficult to work on, and I like the complexity of their running gear, which at least was customized for each type of steamer instead of being generic like Mantua's. It isn't even the cab-mounted motors, it's the huge screw boss at the front of the cab that prevents using a longer can motor without grinding it away and finding another means of attaching the rear of the boiler. That's my biggest RR peeve.

Old Bachmann like the Mikado-ized Consolidation above is far worse. One piece plastic valve gear hangers / crosshead guides that love to break, crummy drives, split axles, lots of plastic flash, a quarter inch layer of paint, etc., etc...

If I had to say I hated any model trains it would be Brown Box era Tyco and trainset quality Life-Like.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 02 2014 :  6:11:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I don't find old Rivarossi difficult to work on, and I like the complexity of their running gear, which at least was customized for each type of steamer instead of being generic like Mantua's. It isn't even the cab-mounted motors, it's the huge screw boss at the front of the cab that prevents using a longer can motor without grinding it away and finding another means of attaching the rear of the boiler. That's my biggest RR peeve.

Old Bachmann like the Mikado-ized Consolidation above is far worse. One piece plastic valve gear hangers / crosshead guides that love to break, crummy drives, split axles, lots of plastic flash, a quarter inch layer of paint, etc., etc...

If I had to say I hated any model trains it would be Brown Box era Tyco and trainset quality Life-Like.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - April 02 2014 :  5:02:15 PM

Same with me to be honest. I do like the older, more durable Tycos from the Tyco/Mantua era.

-Steve

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 02 2014 :  8:55:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
SEE? this IS a good idea for a subject
I'll bet loco has a stupid yet easy problem with it

ok, NC shortlines but we wanna see it in RUNNING order

Originally posted by microbusss - March 31 2014 : 11:36:37 PM

If by stupid yet easy problem, you mean the entire thing is in several pieces in a cardboard box, then yes. And I'll pass on selling it. I got that monster for free, now I'll make the damn thing work if it kills me!!! Anything smaller, I can fix or bash or throw parts at till it works, but this seems to just barely beyond my capacity for understanding how I got it broken the way I did. Grumble grumble.

I can't really hate too much on anything else. Things like BN sharks might make my inner prototype-nazi cringe a bit, but they're honestly too funny to hate. And those old AHM engines might run like crap sometimes, but it's amazing what you can do with them. I got an AHM SW1 in illinois central colors that you couldn't kill with a brick, and the C-liners are fun kitbash fodder when they don't run any more.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - May 17 2014 :  8:25:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
"Hate" may be to strong a word for my product pet peeves. I have to admit though that there are plenty of model railroad items that I have come across that have not lived up to expectations. Most of my pet peeves revolve around poor engineering and/or manufacturing problems. Among the worst that I have had experience with include:

Bachmann's Gandy Dancer handcar: Prone to failure and if taken apart almost impossible to reassemble.

Tyco brown box locomotives with either the late plastic MU-2 drives or the Power Torque Trucks: Broken gears and burned out motor windings.

Brass Rail Track: One word, oxidation.

All sellenoid operated switch machines: Burned out windings and melted plastic covers.

Lighted Bumpers: Old incandescent grain-of-wheat light bulbs would melt the plastic bumper.

Weight activated Grade Crossing Accessories: Underweight cars plus stiff pressure plates equals derailments.

Talgo style truck mounted couplers: Guaranteed derailments on back up moves.

X2F NMRA Horn hook couplers: More guaranteed derailments on back up moves, even on cars with body mounted couplers. Not to mention the things are down right ugly!

Woodland Scenic ballast: Crushed walnut shells dyed to look like rock, this stuff never looked right to me

Tyco Trainset Power Packs: These things expired faster than milk on my first layout.

That's all I can come up with at this time, but I will probably add more as I think of them....

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - May 17 2014 :  8:57:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Bachmann 4-8-4's, I have them all and half of them only work when sometimes!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 17 2014 :  8:58:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Lighted Bumpers: replace with LEDs
Weight activated Grade Crossing Accessories: no arguement there Replace with light sensor crossing signals
Tyco Trainset Power Packs: really? what causes that?
Woodland Scenic ballast: crush it smaller
All sellenoid operated switch machines: modernize it with better electronics

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 17 2014 :  9:20:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Woodland Scenic ballast.. Crush it smaller ?? Duh??? Am I wrong or isn't it offered in more than one grit ? Look at Jerry's from W,VA.. I beLIEve it's medium and still looks great !
Edited by - walt on May 17 2014 11:10:13 PM

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 17 2014 :  10:26:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I don't really have any specific model trains I have now that I hate because I avoid the bad locomotives and equipment.
-Steve

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - May 18 2014 :  1:05:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
Some of the early brass Sudyam drives are my peeves. I've got both a "blimp" and a Westinghouse steeplecab that for some reason just wont work right on ANY track! and the spring "belts" are a proverbial pain!
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - May 19 2014 :  11:32:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
I'm gonna hate on brass track too. I just spend twenty minutes polishing a #6 right-hand switch with a bright boy and then I realized it wasn't worth it.
--CRC

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 21 2014 :  12:30:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Battery operated quasi-euro/asian looking generic sets with plastic snap together track that every museum gift shop or tourist railroad gift shop seems to sell. These things are always poorly made, don't last and don't follow any known prototypes. As such they do nothing to promote our hobby. That said, i did take one that was given to me as a gift and give it the treatment. It was a Hawthorn Village set themed for the movie It's A Wonderful Life. I repainted the entire set and applied decals for the Nickel Plate Road....don't ask. I will post pics later if pushed
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 21 2014 :  12:38:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I'm gonna hate on brass track too. I just spend twenty minutes polishing a #6 right-hand switch with a bright boy and then I realized it wasn't worth it.
Originally posted by PRR 4800 - May 19 2014 :  11:32:42 PM

So I should just scrap my brass track collection?

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 21 2014 :  06:37:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Battery operated quasi-euro/asian looking generic sets with plastic snap together track that every museum gift shop or tourist railroad gift shop seems to sell. These things are always poorly made, don't last and don't follow any known prototypes. As such they do nothing to promote our hobby. That said, i did take one that was given to me as a gift and give it the treatment. It was a Hawthorn Village set themed for the movie It's A Wonderful Life. I repainted the entire set and applied decals for the Nickel Plate Road....don't ask. I will post pics later if pushed

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - May 21 2014 :  12:30:36 AM

Consider this a PUSH! Show the pics

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 21 2014 :  09:56:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - May 21 2014 :  06:37:28 AM

Yeah, man! Show us some pictures! This looks like it must've been a very odd set and I'd love to see the engine that you changed to Nickel Plate Road because it must look weird as heck.

-Steve

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 21 2014 :  12:27:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
ugggggh.... fine, I will dig it out.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, man! Show us some pictures! This looks like it must've been a very odd set and I'd love to see the engine that you changed to Nickel Plate Road because it must look weird as heck.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - May 21 2014 :  09:56:23 AM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - May 21 2014 :  3:29:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
Battery operated quasi-euro/asian looking generic sets with plastic snap together track that every museum gift shop or tourist railroad gift shop seems to sell.

LOL! I totally relate and can't wait to see this gem!

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - May 21 2014 :  11:03:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - May 21 2014 :  12:38:17 AM

I use brass track fairly successfully. It's tendency to corrode just requires a little more cleaning. You don't live in a very humid climate, so I wouldn't expect horror stories from brass track in your case.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2354  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 22 2014 :  01:08:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

I use brass track fairly successfully. It's tendency to corrode just requires a little more cleaning. You don't live in a very humid climate, so I wouldn't expect horror stories from brass track in your case.
Originally posted by scsshaggy - May 21 2014 :  11:03:09 PM

ok well I don't want ANY of it

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 22 2014 :  02:44:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
quote:
ugggggh.... fine, I will dig it out.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by kovacste000 - May 21 2014 :  09:56:23 AM

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - May 21 2014 :  12:27:00 PM

Ask and you shall receive.

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 22 2014 :  02:46:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
This is what I started with. Beige loco with red accents and cars with cast in color and press on sticker graphics.

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 22 2014 :  02:49:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Repainted the cars in better colors but for the life of me I don't know why I went with the same blue and yellow instead of Pullman Green.

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 22 2014 :  02:52:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Caboose is my favorite of the bunch. The decal set was for HO and is a little oversized for this set but I was pretty jazzed with the outcome.

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 22 2014 :  02:55:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Proving once and for all that there is some wiring crossed in my brain somewhere is the fact that I repainted and weathered the shiny black plastic track

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 22 2014 :  02:57:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
So here it is all boxed up and ready for next Christmas.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 22 2014 :  09:38:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
So here it is all boxed up and ready for next Christmas.

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - May 22 2014 :  02:57:00 AM

Good grief! That is one terrible set for such a good movie as I stated in another thread with this engine.

-Steve

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 22 2014 :  12:44:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Oh, but you should hear it run. I have heard coffee grinders that are more quietJust what you want on cold Christmas eve.

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 23 2014 :  10:33:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I dunno, I work at a Train shop repairing trains, from G down to N so far. Some are difficult to work on, others a breeze. I don't really hate any of them, some are better designed than others, and some you just take with a grain of wheat, er, salt when running them. Here's some things I "dislike" about certain makes of model trains....

Tyco - PT motors , long as you have parts, you can fix'em. But not the best. The MU-2 motors are a little better, but hard to work on being riveted together.

Bachmann - Pancake motors, split frame engines, really a pain to repair. And parts for them almost non-existant except recycled parts.

Marx HO - the Hustler engine shells are a BEAR to get off without breaking, and the little fiber board that holds the brushes in place get brittle and break with time.

AHM - the older 5-pole motors were pretty good, the later 3-pole plastic-encased really suck and are noisy.

IHC - hit or miss, haven't worked on many, older engines use the boxy slot-car type motors, not much power, and jerky movements sometimes.

Jerry in northern Virginia

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - May 24 2014 :  5:13:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Steve, for a battery operated toy train, that's not half bad. You've taken it from horrendous to halfway decent. The caboose quite good. At the very least it was a good painting exercise.
The Tyco Depot

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - May 24 2014 :  5:17:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Nah, send it to me, I'll polish it and use it. :)

What I hate is the Lima 0-6-0 side tanker with the sidewinder motor. It runs okay, though fast, but the reason I don't like it is that Ebay sellers try to sell it as the Mantua which looks very similar. Which is how I got mine. :/

Edited by - Autobus Prime on May 24 2014 5:19:30 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 24 2014 :  7:04:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

What I hate is the Lima 0-6-0 side tanker with the sidewinder motor. It runs okay, though fast, but the reason I don't like it is that Ebay sellers try to sell it as the Mantua which looks very similar. Which is how I got mine. :/

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - May 24 2014 :  5:17:22 PM

That's pretty brutal if you ask me. I've actually seen these Lima 0-6-0s at train shows for $5 in good condition and with knuckle couplers.

-Steve

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 24 2014 :  7:06:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Steve, for a battery operated toy train, that's not half bad. You've taken it from horrendous to halfway decent. The caboose quite good. At the very least it was a good painting exercise.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - May 24 2014 :  5:13:32 PM

I have to agree, it does look much better than it did before you painted it.

-Steve

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 04 2014 :  12:53:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Lighted Bumpers: replace with LEDs

Good idea for this day and age but I didn't have access to LEDs back in 1976

Weight activated Grade Crossing Accessories: no arguement there Replace with light sensor crossing signals

Well thanks for agreeing with me

Tyco Trainset Power Packs: really? what causes that?

I don't know, I was a six year old at the time and I went though 3 of them within a year, my father decided to invest in a UPC Transformer with a manual circuit breaker which lasted for at least 10 years.

Woodland Scenic ballast: crush it smaller

I would love to see you try to crush walnut shell ballast! A better solution is to use real rock ballast made from crushed limestone.

All sellenoid operated switch machines: modernize it with better electronics

Well duh, but sellenoid switch machines are still being produced to this day.

Originally posted by microbusss - May 17 2014 :  8:58:13 PM

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on June 04 2014 12:59:50 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - June 04 2014 :  1:26:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - May 24 2014 :  5:17:22 PM

That's pretty brutal if you ask me. I've actually seen these Lima 0-6-0s at train shows for $5 in good condition and with knuckle couplers.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - May 24 2014 :  7:04:05 PM

I only paid 5 plus shipping, so wasn't out too much, but still.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - June 05 2014 :  11:13:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Some clarification. I was going to hate on that one piece of brass track specifically - I thought it was an old shinohara until I cleaned it and found it was a busted brass turnout instead.

I've got some new hate too: Bachmann Gandy Dancer. Those miserable little turds barely run when they're new, and once you've tried to take one apart to use it to power something else, it's a lost cause trying to get the damn thing running at all ever again! I'm gonna murder it, I swear!

--CRC
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Enough Topic Next Topic: .  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000