Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 6 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 What made you join this forum originally?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Shiny or dull? Topic Next Topic: Restoring Athearn Train Sets  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 22 2014 :  11:36:31 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Poll Question:
Well for me, I originally joined because I wanted to know a little bit about my Tyco trolley. I can't believe how fast the last month went by.

Choices:

Wanted to know more about my train.
I thought it was a cool forum.
Childhood memories.
Needed help with fixing a loco or rolling stock.
I wanted to share my passion of model trains with other people.
I don't know.
Other.(Post what you joined the forum originally for in the reply post area.)

(Anonymous Vote)

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 23 2014 :  12:44:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I was looking for information on Tyco, what specifically I don't remember, and I stumbled upon this site. I thought it was crazy cool there was more than one person (me) in the world who was interested in the old Tyco stuff.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 23 2014 :  08:41:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
The level of detail and the sort of technology I like in model trains is mainly in the old stuff discussed in this forum. The forum is a place to learn more about what's out there and get some good ideas about how to use it, modify it and repair it.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 24 2014 :  10:35:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Tyco trains - How i started in HO as many others did and shared my knowledge of what i knew about Tyco - Eventually led to all the Current Tyco videos i make for all others who collect or want knowledge of certain pieces of Tyco that are popular to collect. More videos to come when i get time
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 24 2014 :  11:05:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Loved Tyco trains as a kid...and now... This is the only forum that I am a member of or ever have been...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - March 25 2014 :  12:23:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
Loved Tyco trains as a kid...and now... This is the only forum that I am a member of or ever have been...

Originally posted by walt - March 24 2014 :  11:05:59 PM

I wanted to get back into the hobby after 10 years of not doing much with it ( College, Relationships). I googled tyco trains and low and behold this site came up. Once I started reading the board, I was hooked. I particularly like the fact that look down on folks with what are perceived to be cheap trains. Trains are for fun and the folks here know how to enjoy the hobby.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 25 2014 :  12:25:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I thought I was joining the Tae Bo forum, but I was really drunk.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 25 2014 :  08:01:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I was just looking for info mostly on Tyco trains, and this site has so much of that and more, how could I not join? Between all the good info, and the people, it has been a welcome oasis of knowledge in a desert of the old train world, as most hobbyists prefer newer and more detailed pieces. I like the older stuff myself. My Boss at the train shop keeps trying to give me deals on the new stuff ( SD70MAC diesel with sound ), but it's not my era. He DID just get in some modern ALCO C430's I think, MTH made in HO. Still, I'd rather spend my $160 elsewhere. Great deal, though. Anyway, Long as I'm interested in trains, I'll be interested in the Tyco Forum.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 25 2014 :  09:38:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I thought I was joining the Tae Bo forum, but I was really drunk.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - March 25 2014 :  12:25:09 AM

Haha.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - March 25 2014 :  12:27:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That's just crazy Nelson.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 25 2014 :  7:53:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
I don't even know how I found the Tyco forum. Stumbled onto it and really liked how everyone seemed to be enjoying the hobby.
It had always gotten me riled on other forums, whenever Tyco, Bachmann, IHC, Life-Like and such was mentioned it was immediately dismissed as junk and not worthy of discussion.
Not so here! And so here I am

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 30 2014 :  12:02:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
You know, I feel at home here in the forum because I get to share my passion of H0 scale model trains to a whole group of people who actually care.The best way to describe this forum to me are some lines from the 1971 song "You've got a friend" when they start singing how if they call their name they'll come running to see you again and where they'll brighten up even you're darkness night. Replace that with model train related stuff and there you go! Anyone else feel that way about this forum?
-Steve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - March 30 2014 :  12:13:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
I believe I was looking at pictures of mantua steam locomotives on Google and one of them in particular of which I want to say was the C&nw 2-6-2 in a funky paint job I think from Shaygetz that I started browsing through the forum looking for similar pictures and discussions on related engines and found enough of the things I wanted to know about to join.
To me it's truly the only place where there's the highest respect and interest in not only Tyco, but other older manufacturers of HO scale trains.
You'll find people who like the same things you do and it makes you more interested.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - March 30 2014 :  10:14:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
I joined because I like modeling with tyco engines and cars and other MR forums really poo poo on it. one of the most infamous lines I remember is

quote:
you want to upgrade your tyco, throw it in the trash and get brass

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 30 2014 :  10:18:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I joined because I like modeling with tyco engines and cars and other MR forums really poo poo on it. one of the most infamous lines I remember is

quote:

Originally posted by rgcw5 - March 30 2014 :  10:14:00 AM

My main problem with brass is that they're extremely expensive and most of them aren't even DCC equipped!

-Steve

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 30 2014 :  1:31:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

quote:

My main problem with brass is that they're extremely expensive and most of them aren't even DCC equipped!

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 30 2014 :  10:18:47 AM

Lately, the lines are "throw it in the trash", they don't even bother with the "get brass" part!
I don't mind people having opinions, but I do mind when I see newcomers on a forum ask questions about their Tyco/old Bachmann/AHM and be told that it's all junk and don't even bother with it. It seems to me they are missing the whole point of the hobby....any hobby....

http://tycodepot.com/
Edited by - JNXT 7707 on March 30 2014 1:32:26 PM
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 30 2014 :  2:20:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 30 2014 :  10:18:47 AM

Lately, the lines are "throw it in the trash", they don't even bother with the "get brass" part!
I don't mind people having opinions, but I do mind when I see newcomers on a forum ask questions about their Tyco/old Bachmann/AHM and be told that it's all junk and don't even bother with it. It seems to me they are missing the whole point of the hobby....any hobby....

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - March 30 2014 :  1:31:22 PM

Now I feel bad about what I said about Life Like since I came here.Anyway, with Life Like, you can actually make them into really good engines. Just add a little bit of detail, a more realistic paint job, and change the motor to a better quality one and there you go! Of course if you like them the way they are then just keep them the way they are. Do whatever you want to do to them. That applies to all model train brands of all scales. I've seen people do amazing things to trains that most other people outside of this forum might call junk. They change it from being considered junk to something that people in and out of the forum think is cool. That's the magic of model trains. You can make an old loco that doesn't work into something really cool and good quality to the point where people would not believe what it used to look like.

-Steve

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - March 30 2014 :  2:50:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I joined because it was really apparent that folks here are friendly and encouraging, and everyone is having fun with the hobby.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 30 2014 :  3:17:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
...It seems to me they are missing the whole point of the hobby....any hobby....

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - March 30 2014 :  1:31:22 PM

Amen!

I was watching a TV show on antiques or something like that and I can't remember what particular item was being discussed (that's beside the point, actually), but the host said she would tell us which items we should collect, i.e. those which are most collectible and/or valuable. Excuse me, but it's my hobby and I will collect what I want, not what other people value. If I want to collect painted dog turds, I will collect painted dog turds! The newcomers are being done a disservice by the elitists.

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 31 2014 :  6:02:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
The best way to describe this forum to me are some lines from the 1971 song "You've got a friend" when they start singing how if they call their name they'll come running to see you again and where they'll brighten up even you're darkness night. Replace that with model train related stuff and there you go! Anyone else feel that way about this forum?

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 30 2014 :  12:02:36 AM

Hmmm, sounds like Cheers, minus the beer.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 31 2014 :  6:55:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
The last forum I was a member of was a total nightmare... a small group of old, established members consistently beat on and drove out all newcomers for not being just like them and not following absurd policies, while doing and less and less themselves. Last I checked, the whole place has pretty much stagnated since everyone's either too scared, too offended, or too arrogant to post anything.

I found this place and was totally blown away that a) everyone's so friendly and nice and welcoming here and b) other people like old HO trains like athearn blue box and AHM and varney and mantua and the really old stuff like I collect! Who would have guessed...

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

richard p
Little Six

Posted - April 01 2014 :  3:33:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
I just wanted info on my old Tyco Red Box and I found more information I could possibly believe existed. Little Trains, Blue Box - who knew. Nice combination of collectors, historians and model railroaders more than willing to help with any question. reading the old posts of members long gone is great reading.
rich p
Edited by - richard p on April 01 2014 3:45:01 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 01 2014 :  6:45:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
The last forum I was a member of was a total nightmare... a small group of old, established members consistently beat on and drove out all newcomers for not being just like them and not following absurd policies, while doing and less and less themselves. Last I checked, the whole place has pretty much stagnated since everyone's either too scared, too offended, or too arrogant to post anything.

I found this place and was totally blown away that a) everyone's so friendly and nice and welcoming here and b) other people like old HO trains like athearn blue box and AHM and varney and mantua and the really old stuff like I collect! Who would have guessed...

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 31 2014 :  6:55:06 PM

That first paragraph was why it took me so long to finally join this forum. I was worried this forum would be like that which most forums are. That's what makes this forum special. It's one of the few forums that don't have what you explained in the top paragraph.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on April 01 2014 6:46:13 PM

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 02 2014 :  8:47:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Yeah, it's pretty rad here. The only thing to worry about is accidentally sending Microben into an envy coma
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 02 2014 :  10:27:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Yeah, it's pretty rad here. The only thing to worry about is accidentally sending Microben into an envy coma

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - April 02 2014 :  8:47:48 PM

That was one of the first things I learned here when I posted about my Hornby Flying Scotsman.

-Steve

Previous Topic: Shiny or dull? Topic Next Topic: Restoring Athearn Train Sets  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000