Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 29 ]  [ Total: 29 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Restoring Athearn Train Sets
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: What made you join this forum originally? Topic Next Topic: Conventional vs. Roadbed track  

MikeyChris
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - September 28 2013 :  11:55:11 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add MikeyChris to Buddylist
Poll Question:
Hi,
My name is Mike and I'm addicted to trains... Oh, sorry, thought I was at a TA (Trains Anonymous) meeting.

I have a bunch of old Athearn, Tyco, Bachmann, Model Power, AHM, Lima, etc. train sets. I plan on restoring them.

My intention is do:
1) Give all shells an ultrasonic bath if needed
2) Clean & lube loco chassis, replace HiF bands if so equipped
3) Any damaged parts replaced (only with original vintage parts, no “Blue Box” era parts)
4) Remove brass track and either replace with nickel-silver track, or add two more freight cars per set
5) Replace freight car wheel sets with metal ones
6) Replace couplers with Kadees
7) Repair set box as neatly as possible (I use heavy clear packing tape, cut to totally cover the corners of the box)

I was curious how you guys feel this will affect collectibility? I will probably eventually sell these sets, but money is not my motivation.

I look forward to your comments.

Choices:

Restoring as described is cool
Original condition is better
Do whatever you want, who cares?
Post a Quick Reply with details

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - MikeyChris on September 28 2013 12:00:02 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 8  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2021 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 28 2013 :  12:06:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
teach me to read something carefully before replying,pressed wrong button,personally i like the first 2 answers,if its rare original,if not as you describe would be my true answer ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - September 28 2013 :  6:43:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Mike,
Its difficult to answer this one. its "your" collecting here, and your putting a few different outlooks into one poll.

See your list:

My intention is do:
1) Give all shells an ultrasonic bath if needed

Not sure if you would have to use a Ultrasonic bath, just awash with light kitchen detergent for dishes would work GREAT1

2) Clean & lube loco chassis, replace HiF bands if so equipped

Agreed, be sure to LIGHTLY lube tho, DO NOT over lubricate, that's is what harms more gearing then any other "maintenance task to keep that or any one item in good running condition. Keep ALL oils AWAY from motor commutator, AND brushes...

3) Any damaged parts replaced (only with original vintage parts, no “Blue Box” era parts)

Yes, most are blue box BUT, the exception is the F units, AND the GP7/9 units, they are all almost interchangeable from one era to the other.....Even tho, the frame on the older "dummy" is plastic! That's not known as "blue Box" era loco, but will fit the "Blue Box" era shell! I have both types!

4) Remove brass track and either replace with nickel-silver track, or add two more freight cars per set

Brass is a hampering on dirty track, be sure if you keep it to clean it regularly.....Nickel Silver resists this to an extent.

Question? Why add 2 more cars if your track is dirty?

5) Replace freight car wheel sets with metal ones

I understand this, to some extent, but, in the case, "If its not broken, why fix it"????? Granted poorly rolling wheels, even when new, that I can see, and understand, BUT if the factory wheels roll well and all, why replace them?

See, sometimes people, (modelers especially) get to the point they spend more money then they have too, just because they started a "task" of uniformity, and what to keep everything "uniform". This doesn't have to be the case 100% of the time. Save that money, for other projects that really need something! See?

6) Replace couplers with Kadees

YES, if you want to "push" a train, a long one into a siding or in the yard, you will need to rely on a good coupler system, Kadee, being the best known... BUT, Sargent was up and coming but not heard much from them in recent years! For light work EX-Mates aren't bad, but on long trains they snap too! Again, Kadee makes short or long trains equal when it comes to push, shove, yank, and pull!

7) Repair set box as neatly as possible (I use heavy clear packing tape, cut to totally cover the corners of the box)

Yes and no....I am not sure what the other guys would say here, BUT I would use tape ONLY on the inside corners to aid the construction of the box, somewhat un-seen. NEVER on the outside of the box.......BUT, this is only a task if you plan to store hundreds of boxes, and not have the space for the trains themselves, if your merely going to be a Model Railroader, my question is, why? See, I myself, kinda fall into the Modeler, that wants to run them, enjoy them all, and have a few collectables, and sell or trade off the rest.....Those you plan to sell keep EVERYTHING, those you plan to run and "play" with (yes, we're ALL big kids , really!!!!) Why keep those boxes? Your running trains will be stored, on your layout, naturally weathering for household dust, UNLESS you plan to "store" them away after every run you do!

Hopefully my answers make sese, and are a good guide line to all these questions!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 28 2013 :  10:23:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I voted to restore the sets to original condition, but that's just what I would do as a collector. It seems like how you restore each set would depend on the rarity and what you plan on doing with the set. For instance if you wanted to keep these original boxed sets as a displayable collection, restore them to original condition. If you're keeping them with the intent of cycling through them and running the contents, upgrade the train components (wheels, couplers, etc.,), but don't bother spending the money putting nickel silver track in each set. Just set up a permanent loop of track to run the trains on. If you're planning on giving them to someone who is new to model railroading, all of the things you listed would be ideal.

That's my opinion anyway...

cheez

Edited by - DaCheez on September 28 2013 10:24:14 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - September 29 2013 :  12:01:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
Don't be covering the boxes in tape. They tried that with the Dead Sea Scrolls. Nearly destroyed them.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - October 06 2013 :  04:39:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
With Athearn sets if one is patient it's not too hard to find most of the cars in original, decent condition and correct for the set.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 19 2014 :  12:54:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I say restore them because it's sad to leave an old beat up engine as it is. I like the idea of fixing them up and making them look good again. I have a couple engines I'd like to do that with actually.It also depends on the condition of the item. If there's only some scratches or simple stuff like that then it's not big deal to me.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 19 2014 12:55:26 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - March 20 2014 :  09:12:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Restoration means returning to original condition. Changing wheels, track, couplers is not restoration, it's a modification.

In many instances blue-box parts are identical to earlier parts so there is no reason not to use them.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: What made you join this forum originally? Topic Next Topic: Conventional vs. Roadbed track  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000