Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 site offline
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Building Layout table Questions Topic Next Topic: A New Face Book Group  

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 06 2014 :  11:24:41 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
How many get mad when the Microsoft JET error screen shows up?
Yeah this a free site ok but we'd like abit of warning when it happens
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator 

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 06 2014 :  11:30:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
How many get mad when the Microsoft JET error screen shows up?
Yeah this a free site ok but we'd like abit of warning when it happens

Originally posted by microbusss - March 06 2014 :  11:24:41 AM

I got pretty frustrated when I found the site was down yesterday. No, I didn't scream in agony due to it.Anyway, I was a little bit more mad when it happened this time because I needed help finding parts for one of my trains and I thought I'd go to this forum to get help but it was down for the entire day yesterday.Oh well.At least I finally got the help thread up.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 06 2014 :  11:31:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i have no problems as its a free site for us,but todd has the expense,so as much as i miss it,i would rather 5 out of 7,than have nothing at all ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 06 2014 :  11:33:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
i have no problems as its a free site for us,but todd has the expense,so as much as i miss it,i would rather 5 out of 7,than have nothing at all ken

Originally posted by catfordken - March 06 2014 :  11:31:30 AM

That is true. At least it's 100% free for us, otherwise a lot of us would not even be on this site. (shivers at thought of not being part of forum)

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 06 2014 :  11:35:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
A bit of warning for when the site goes down ???
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 06 2014 :  2:34:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
A bit of warning for when the site goes down ???

Originally posted by walt - March 06 2014 :  11:35:09 AM

I wish they would have some sort of warning system about when the site shuts down before it happens so people can prepare for it and do their final things before it shuts down for a day or two. It is a free site so, if I were you, just go with it. Yes, it's annoying as heck, but at least it only happens every now and then.

-Steve

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 06 2014 :  2:56:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i do not think todd knows why it shuts down,otherwise i am sure he would do as he always did and warn us,its the server not him,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 06 2014 :  3:44:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
i do not think todd knows why it shuts down,otherwise i am sure he would do as he always did and warn us,its the server not him,ken

Originally posted by catfordken - March 06 2014 :  2:56:00 PM

That's probably what it is. Todd probably just doesn't have a good internet connection and I can understand that. I have heard the New York area where the servers are located is getting hit hard by rain and all that stuff so it makes perfect sense. I don't have a perfect internet connection either. Almost nobody does.

-Steve

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 06 2014 :  3:56:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
In fairness it is quite impossible to give any warning for something that is not planned. This is not scheduled maintenance.

That said, yes it's plenty frustrating to see good old Line 173 when trying to get on here!

I really appreciate this site - and the added benefit of it being free and not having to stare at ads. So I'll gladly put up with a hiccup here and there

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 06 2014 :  4:44:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I went to "Down for everyone or just me"... It said the site was up and it was just me unable to bring it up. I find that was not true...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 06 2014 :  5:07:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
In fairness it is quite impossible to give any warning for something that is not planned. This is not scheduled maintenance.

That said, yes it's plenty frustrating to see good old Line 173 when trying to get on here!

I really appreciate this site - and the added benefit of it being free and not having to stare at ads. So I'll gladly put up with a hiccup here and there

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - March 06 2014 :  3:56:48 PM

I'm definitely glad I don't have to look at stupid ads anytime I come here. Even before I got adblocker, there has been no ads on here. And when I use a friend's computer or something, there are still no ads. I'm happy to see that. Most websites have ads of some kind and I hate that. I'm glad this isn't one of them.

-Steve

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 06 2014 :  5:33:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I'm definitely glad I don't have to look at stupid ads anytime I come here.
Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 06 2014 :  5:07:32 PM

Personally, I'm utterly fascinated to learn about the miracle dietary supplement that removes all belly fat, makes 80-year-olds 20 again, cures stagnation of the liver and makes your full-sized pickup get 45 mpg.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 06 2014 :  5:45:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

Personally, I'm utterly fascinated to learn about the miracle dietary supplement that removes all belly fat, makes 80-year-olds 20 again, cures stagnation of the liver and makes your full-sized pickup get 45 mpg.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - March 06 2014 :  5:33:11 PM

Post pics of your results!

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 06 2014 :  5:49:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Those are scams. I know people who got ads like those. They are scams. I know it for a fact.

-Steve

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 06 2014 :  5:49:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - March 06 2014 :  5:45:19 PM

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 06 2014 :  5:52:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Those are scams. I know a lot of people who get scams just like those ads and they usually come with viruses or some other bad stuff. In fact, I actually fell for one of them and one of my web browsers got locked up. I got it fixed and it's fine now. I also have two web browsers so I'm good to go. Isn't it odd how we're talking about computer stuff in a train forum.

-Steve

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - March 06 2014 :  7:28:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
I'm just glad to be here and be part of it.

Regards, John *****

It is later then it has ever been. <> Junior
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 06 2014 :  8:37:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I'm just glad to be here and be part of it.

Regards, John *****

It is later then it has ever been. <> Junior

Originally posted by JRG1951 - March 06 2014 :  7:28:13 PM

Me too.

-Steve

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 06 2014 :  10:51:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by scsshaggy - March 06 2014 :  5:49:50 PM

Wow shaggy that stuff is really workin' for ya

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 08 2014 :  7:22:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
It dood it again!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - March 08 2014 :  7:39:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
It dood it again!

Originally posted by microbusss - March 08 2014 :  7:22:27 PM

Just another rainy day dilema... happened to me, too.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 08 2014 :  9:50:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
It dood it again!

Originally posted by microbusss - March 08 2014 :  7:22:27 PM

Relax. Todd probably just has a spotty internet connection. Nobody has a perfect internet connection. Every time the site goes down, before you get mad, think "At least it's a free site." and there you go!

-Steve

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 09 2014 :  01:25:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
This site is well worth what we pay for it !

Just for fun... It's a great site to hang out on. Thank You, Todd

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - March 09 2014 :  09:31:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
Has there ever been an option to donate monies to help Todd with the expenses associated with the maintenance of the forum?
Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 09 2014 :  10:10:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
over the years lots of ideas but todd has stuck it out,i think a donation box is one of the better ideas,but if todd was interested in it,am sure it would be there by now,ken

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 09 2014 :  10:20:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I Googled the error message and it has to do with an MS-Access database not being able to open a file (something about permission, availability and exclusive use). Since we are constantly updating the database when we post stuff, the database would need exclusive access to the files on which it is contained, so what happens when it's time to back up the file or defragment the drives on the server? What happens when we fill things up and a little rearranging is in order, or a server is down?

Inevitably, we'll experience some down time. Better service than we're used to is possible, but we're not 911 dispatchers or telephone switching stations. What's the real importance of 99.999% reliability to a good old boys' hobby club?

Carpe Manana!

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 09 2014 :  6:01:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
This site is well worth what we pay for it !

Just for fun... It's a great site to hang out on. Thank You, Todd

Originally posted by walt - March 09 2014 :  01:25:12 AM

Exactly!Can you believe that I joined this group originally because I needed a little help with a Tyco trolley? Man, I can't believe it's almost been a month since I joined this forum.I still remember very well how much I struggled to get pictures up when I first started.I feel so silly about it now.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 09 2014 6:02:12 PM

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 09 2014 :  9:35:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Exactly!Can you believe that I joined this group originally because I needed a little help with a Tyco trolley? Man, I can't believe it's almost been a month since I joined this forum.

I originally joined because I was trying to get a Tyco Canadiana Alco running. That was....uhhh...eight years ago...

Thanks for everything, Todd!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - March 09 2014 :  10:38:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Your mileage/results may vary.

The site going down is probably annoying to Todd as well as us.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 09 2014 :  11:51:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your mileage/results may vary.

The site going down is probably annoying to Todd as well as us.

Originally posted by NC shortlines - March 09 2014 :  10:38:26 PM

Agreed.

-Steve

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 06 2014 :  6:22:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
AGAIN!? sheesh
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 06 2014 :  7:34:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
AGAIN!? sheesh

Originally posted by microbusss - April 06 2014 :  6:22:43 PM

I think you need a second hobby, for when this site is down. I don't get it, people bitch about something that's FREE !!!??

Edited by - walt on April 06 2014 7:40:05 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 06 2014 :  7:53:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I WAS doing something else, Walt
Taking a few pics of my trains

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 06 2014 :  11:56:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I WAS doing something else, Walt
Taking a few pics of my trains

Originally posted by microbusss - April 06 2014 :  7:53:50 PM

Haha

-Steve

Previous Topic: Building Layout table Questions Topic Next Topic: A New Face Book Group  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000