Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 37 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 another different color scheme
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: NEW ADDITIONS>>there were demonstrators Topic Next Topic: Mantua/Tyco So76 coaches  

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - March 04 2007 :  7:26:11 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
4 cars 4 different color schemes I have found so far on the Ralston Purina boxcar.

And 3 different Hershey cars 3 different color schemes

In Malfunction Junction:
When all else fails get a bigger hammer.

Edited by - obtrey on March 06 2007 4:00:04 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: January 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 05 2013 Alert Moderator 

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - March 04 2007 :  7:52:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
That red roofed Ralston Purina Reefer is a new one to me!

I don't see the difference on the pair of Hershey's Reefers?

Great Pics!

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - March 04 2007 :  7:56:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
I dunno looking at the lettering it seems there are 2 different shades, variations something seems different and when I find the third one I might have a better idea.
And finding that Macro lens makes a big difference. Bob

In Malfunction Junction:
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: January 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 05 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 04 2007 :  9:36:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Difference in the hershey to me seems to be the lettering graphics.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - March 05 2007 :  05:05:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi Obtrey,

Nice pictures! One thing I noticed on my Purina car with the full width checkerboard is that it is checkerd all the way around the Purina sign on the right side insted of having the solid red lines on each side as yours does. I have both blue version. Looks like I need to find the red now.

Thanks
Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - March 05 2007 :  12:59:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
So that means there are at least 4 different color schemes on the Purinas?
hmmmm

In Malfunction Junction:
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: January 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 05 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - March 05 2007 :  1:54:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Wow - I need to get me a macro lens! Awesome detail shots! Are you using a flash?

To my eye, the difference in the Hershey's seems to the the amount of paint applied to the tampo for the right half of the car. The second one has thicker, more opaque paint - and the data is not quite as sharp as a result. The first one, the paint is a little thinner, so the brown basecoat shows through and seems to make it like an entirely different shade.

There are many varieties of Purina reefers... but as these don't strike a chord with me I've yet to chase any of them. I might double check to see what I might have, in case they differ from what's shown here. And there are about 10 of them at the haunt, but I think they are all the same.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - March 05 2007 :  3:09:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
I'm using a Sony Dsc F828 that i bought awhile ago 8 megpix takes a good picture in all kinds of environments, but creates a huge file not too god for emailing so I have to use a program to reduce the size it just wont focus properly in extreme closeups even with the built in macro turned on. I bought a macro and wide angle adapter (you can't remove the included lens) and can get a really good shot if i pay attention to backgrounds etc. The built in flash comes on automatically in certain light conditions and if I turn it off the pics come out in a wierd red color. I just have to start paying more attention to where I'm standing as you get a lot of flashback on a shiny surface like a train. The pics of the GG-1's I put up show that I needed to change my position a little and I just added a couple of shots in the rolling stock section and used 2 different sizes when I posted them.

Bob

In Malfunction Junction:

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 05 2007 :  5:46:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
To my eye, the difference in the Hershey's seems to the the amount of paint applied to the tampo for the right half of the car. The second one has thicker, more opaque paint - and the data is not quite as sharp as a result. The first one, the paint is a little thinner, so the brown basecoat shows through and seems to make it like an entirely different shade.

On the Hershey car I have, the white lettering has a couple of faint lines through it. I'm pretty sure it's just a flaw in the paint job. I guess when you're using white paint on a dark background these things show up better right?

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 05 2007 :  5:57:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
The neat thing about Tyco is they weren't changing the color schemes just to attract collectors. Once I collected Hot Wheels and it was fun searching for the variations but then they saw a market and created variations and over produced them to the point where it ceased to be fun.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - March 06 2007 :  4:01:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
added a 4th Ralston and a 3rd Hershey to original picture post
In Malfunction Junction:

Rush2NY
Little Six

Posted - March 07 2007 :  4:27:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Rush2NY to Buddylist
The major difference between the Purina cars seems to be with the printing technique. The first and last car seems to have printed graphics while the middle two seem to have sprayed on graphics. Notice the overspray/bleed onto the white checkers.

Russ
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 100  ~  Member Since: June 18 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 01 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - March 07 2007 :  4:39:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
I saw that and on the first car th M.R.S. logo is in the center of the checkerboard, on the next 2 it is more to the left and the last 1 is more to the right.

Bob

In Malfunction Junction:

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - April 06 2007 :  8:40:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Ahhhh, for Pete's sake, a 4th Purina! I'll never finish collecting. [^]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - April 06 2007 :  11:44:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
You're sorry
In Malfunction Junction:

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - April 11 2007 :  8:21:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
DaCheeze,
I will trade my Canadiana M-430, and Transformer Boxcar for your Hershey's Car.
John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - April 11 2007 :  10:03:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
And going through my cabooses today I found that the 2 Midnight Specials I have here are of 2 different color schemes. Curiouser and curiouser.
I wonder if that's the difference between a Friday after lunch paint job or a Monday after the weekend paint job.
Or the first of a run and the last of a run

In Malfunction Junction:

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - September 11 2007 :  02:33:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Okay,

I found the HERSHEY'S comparison page, BUT I see another difference in these cars.

Note the eaves! Where the second and third cars have the rivets lined up to meet the ribs, the first car has them off kilter a bit.

Now, however, on my original HERSHEY'S reefer, the doors do not have tiny HERX on them.

I will update this response as well.

October 7: New news!

I recieved a HERSHEY'S car from Brian'sTyco... I have three different Hershey's Reefer Cars...

1. One I had was made in Yugoslavia
2. One came from DaCheez made in USA
3. One from Brian was made in Hong Kong

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on October 08 2007 12:46:06 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 28 2009 :  5:08:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
you forgot this one!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 01 2009 :  05:53:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I like the red roof Purina boxcar.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 04 2023 :  9:12:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some harder to find. Happy hunting.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5897  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 04 2023 :  10:09:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Some harder to find. Happy hunting.
Originally posted by wks - August 04 2023 :  9:12:18 PM

well lets not forget the STEAM SOUND Hi-cube boxcar!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: NEW ADDITIONS>>there were demonstrators Topic Next Topic: Mantua/Tyco So76 coaches  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000